Video In Motion for US RNS-510

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
Edit: This will probably only work on units running firmware version 1040.
Edit2: Not sure what's going on in that forum, first they delete my post confirming it worked, now they killed the entire thread. I mirrored them on my website. Let me know if there are any problems and I'll take down the link.

Obligatory warning: Obviously playing DVDs while driving is dangerous and in the US you'll probably get pulled over for it if a cop sees it depending on your state. I'm only using this for my passengers on long road trips.

I finally got VIM working on my factory RNS-510. I found out how to enable it from here: http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/14284-Tv-free-unlock/page6

You don't need VCDS or that $700 reprogramming device, just a CD burner. Download the 156 KB ISOs from this post (78 KB zip file):
http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/File:RECODE_VIM_Berto89.zip

MD5s:
0acc8989a2cf0ab2e4de75b7c71bcebc *RECODE_Berto89.iso
5eca311f5de010132bbb47d29f2a0ad7 *VIM_Berto89.iso

You only need RECODE if you want to revert changes. To enable VIM burn VIM_Berto89.iso to a CD-R.
These are the steps I took, overall it took about 5 minutes:
  • Start the car.
  • Press and hold Eject, Day/Night, and Guide.
  • While holding, insert burned CD-R. The head unit should reboot. When it reboots let go of the buttons.
  • It will say stuff like "failed to start, insert cd" just ignore it. It will reboot again a few times.
  • When it prompts you OK/Cancel on a white screen, hit OK.
  • It will reboot a few more times.
  • When it shows a green rectangle saying "Success", eject the cd w/ the eject button. The head unit should auto-reboot when you remove the CD.

Once I did that, I can insert a DVD while driving and it will start playing like normal, you don't have to press buttons on your steering wheel or anything.
Now I can't wait for my next road trip with my friends/family!

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thank you

I may give this a try, although I am concerned about getting an RNS510 brick. Thank you for information and the link to the other forum discussion and and files.

I don't really need the DVD working while driving, but it always bugs me that things are out of my own control in the car or anywhere for that mater. I know not to watch a movie while I'm driving, but I can imagine wanting to let my passenger see something, especially if I have a very young passenger that could use some entertainment during a long trip.

I wonder if burning the CD on a Mac will still create a usable CD for the VW. Do you think I have to use a PC, or will a CD from a Mac be fine?

Thanks again!!!

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
I think if you use a program that burns ISO files to CDs it will work fine from a Mac.

Supposedly it's "impossible" to brick the RNS-510 with these files since all they do is modify the speed threshold from 5mph to 255mph or something. I was still pretty nervous during the procedure thought but I'm glad everything worked fine in the end.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think if you use a program that burns ISO files to CDs it will work fine from a Mac.
You seem to know much more about burning than I do. I don't even know what an ISO file is. I'm thinking I will just do this on a PC and not try with my Mac. I did download the files to my Mac. I get a .iso file that opens to a disc image with a number of files in the drive. I'm hoping things will happen automatically if I just do the downloads again on a friend's PC and then burn the CD from there.

Are there any special instructions for the download and the burning?

Is it all simple drag and drop on a PC, or do I need to do something special?

I may also do some Google searching to figure this out with my Mac or ask a friend who is a whiz, but I am looking for something so easy a caveman could do it. I figured the PC might be the better way to go.

Supposedly it's "impossible" to brick the RNS-510 with these files since all they do is modify the speed threshold from 5mph to 255mph or something. I was still pretty nervous during the procedure thought but I'm glad everything worked fine in the end.
I did see that comment on the other forum you provided. Those comments and your own experience are giving my the courage. Being able to play a DVD all the time seems like a nice feature to have, even if I don't use it much.

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
Yea, the same is for me. I don't take road trips very often so I won't be taking advantage of the new feature for some time.

I'm not familiar with Macs so I can't help with that, but if you're on a PC you can install the program ImgBurn (free) and open the ISO file using it. That program will burn the file to a CD-R. An ISO file is just a copy (a mirror image) of a CD. Dragging and dropping won't work.

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
I've done this and it works fine. No need to spend $200+.

I've heard the kufatec module can cause problems with gps as it accomplishes the hack by interrupting the vehicle speed signal on the can bus. But sounds like your dad hasn't had any trouble, Toeball.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm not familiar with Macs so I can't help with that, but if you're on a PC you can install the program ImgBurn (free) and open the ISO file using it. That program will burn the file to a CD-R. An ISO file is just a copy (a mirror image) of a CD. Dragging and dropping won't work.
Here's how to burn an iso to CDR on a Mac, it's pretty easy http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389
Thank you both for the tips. I'm sure I can get this done with the information you provided. I'll report back after I get the time and the nerve to do it to my RNS-510.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I made the disc on a PC with ImgBurn!!!

My split personality
Now, do I have the courage to stick the thing in my RNS-510?

Or, I'm at work, can I even wait until lunch to give it a try?

Secret menu question
One other thing, I'm also still confused about the "secret menu" thing. If I press and hold setup now, is there nothing? Then after the install, do I press and hold and get something new? I saw the youtube video. It sounds like this update adds the functionality that could have also been enabled with VCDS.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I was never able to get this to complete the process...on mine after it rebooted the radio came back on and the display would say "CD/DVD ERROR" and never loaded the file...maybe I have an incompatible CD burner.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Update loaded, but no change for VIM with DVD

I ran the update disc (burned with VIM_Berto89.iso 156 kb file). I saw all the screens indicating the update was progressing and everything seemed to go perfectly. However, when I drove off playing the DVD the screen went blank just like it did in the past.

Too bad. I wonder why it didn't do the trick for me.

I tried lots of things to see if anything changed at all. I think it may have changed the warning I was getting in the past about entering navigation destination information when on the move. I didn't get the message when I tried and I think I always did in the past. I can also get to a "secret" setup window by holding the setup button. I get a list including AM, FM, SAT, and IBOC. I don't know if I ever had that secret window in the past. I never got to a third window, which was reported in a different post.

Information about my RNS from VCDS scan
Address 37: Navigation (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
Part No SW: 3C0 035 684 C HW: 3C0 035 684 C
Component: RNS-MID H06 1000
Revision: AB001001 Serial number: VWZ6Z7K4056059
Coding: 04070000010000A600
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: ------------------------- ------
VCID: 234F9F209BA7

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Did you get the success message? Have you tried resetting the unit?
I did get a success message, but I did not manually reset. The unit restarted itself when the CD was removed, so I figured that was the reset.

Update
I did a reset and there was no change. I do not have VIM.

Funny, it seems to be working for the US 2010 Sportwagens, but I saw it did not work for a US 2011 GTI and it did not work for my US 2010 Golf TDI.

Last edited:

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
I was never able to get this to complete the process...on mine after it rebooted the radio came back on and the display would say "CD/DVD ERROR" and never loaded the file...maybe I have an incompatible CD burner.
Mine did this the first time, when I just inserted the CD without pressing the three buttons. I took the CD out, held the three buttons, inserted the CD quickly while holding, and kept holding until it rebooted (after which I let go).

I did get a success message, but I did not manually reset. The unit restarted itself when the CD was removed, so I figured that was the reset.
Did you press OK on the white screen or did you just wait until it automatically rebooted? I saw a video on youtube showing the person not pressing OK, and it didn't work for them either. I did tap on OK and in the end it worked for me.

I know somewhere in the secret menu it shows you advanced information. My unit is revision C (the last character of Delivery part number) with firmware version 1040:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm wondering now if it didn't work because maybe I have SW 1000, not SW 1040 (latest US software?), although I have to admit I do not know what I am talking about. I guess I'm lucky I didn't brick my unit, considering I really don't know what the heck I am doing. I think it might be a good idea for me to just let this go.

From my scan

Last edited:

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
That might be it, I'll add a note to the OP.

There's probably a few new features in firmware 1040 that your firmware 1000 doesn't have. I would go to the dealer and see if they'll install 1040 on your unit just for that.

brads

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6sp W/Euro GTD-LED tails Neuspeed flash + VCDS Mods
Worked fine.
Burned the tiny little VIM_Berto89.iso file to a CD using K3B in linux.
waited the whole day since my car was getting serviced at the dealership.
stopped in the costco parking lot outside the dealership and stuck it in per the instructions. It literally took 30 seconds I then put in Back to the future and watched it as I drove up the freeway to the SFV.

*** Notice I said I watched it while I drove up the freeway, cuz I never looked up again the whole way home, I guess it was just random blind absurd luck that I even made it!)) When I got home I felt so guilty about the mod and how dangerous it is that I just went ahead and sledgehammered in the whole screen, --- I'm safe again.

Thanks Robpol86 for posting this very useful patch.
I knew there was a reason my conscience didn't let me buy that effen $250 kufatec unit for the past year.
THANK YOU!

-

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^ brads, do you know if you have version 1040?

Also, was your car built in June 2010 or later? My car is version 1000 and it was built in March 2010.

brads

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure, I'll check the build date. Can you tell me how to check my version number?

Also, was your car built in June 2010 or later? My car is version 1000 and it was built in March 2010.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Sure, I'll check the build date. Can you tell me how to check my version number?
You can get to it with the secret menu that I suspect you now have with the VIM loaded. Just hold the setup button for a long time to get to a third menu. From there I suppose you will have to poke around to get to the right page for the RNS system. I think it will say SW 1040 somewhere, although based on some of your other posts it looked like you took delivery of your car in February of 2010, before me. Theoretically, it seems you should have the 1000 like me, so then it will seem weird that the VIM worked for you but not for me.

It should look like this from earlier post

You can also get the number from a VCDS scan, like mine below. Based on reading on the Navi forum, it seems the critical information for typing the unit is that mine is a "C" unit, H06, Firmware 1000.

Information about my RNS from VCDS scan
Address 37: Navigation (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
Part No SW: 3C0 035 684 C HW: 3C0 035 684 C
Revision: AB001001 Serial number: VWZ6Z7K4056059
Coding: 04070000010000A600
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: ------------------------- ------
VCID: 234F9F209BA7

Last edited:

varianttdi

TDI
2010 Reflex JSW
I have to be honest..... I really didn't think this was going to work for me :(
BUT IT DID ! :D
It seriously only took 1 minute start to finish.
When I first saw this thread I was like there's no way this is going to work for me. And thought that for some reason my unit wouldn't take it. Well now my passengers will enjoy movies on road trips. Big props to the OP! I'm so glad I was able to cross off one thing on my " To Do List " for free.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have to be honest..... I really didn't think this was going to work for me :(
BUT IT DID ! :D
I was just the opposite, pretty sure it would work and then it didn't. Darn it to heck! The good news, I don't even have smaller kids that would really appreciate the DVD on a trip. Not to mention the iPads and MacBooks kind of make this a non issue these days. Just the same, I wanted to have the feature. Tweaking is fun!!! Especially free tweaking!!!

Do you know if you have firmware 1040?

brads

Veteran Member
TDI

What file did you flash with?, sounds like you might want to try it again.

car build date 01/10
Delivery part number 3C0035684C
HW-Version: H04
SW-Version 1000
SV-SW-Version C_NAR_9.442_t850
HW Vehicle 0xC801

Bootloader Vehicle 0x44340001
SW Main /L2.3_P4
Bootloader Main 00132013

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
What file did you flash with?, sounds like you might want to try it again.

car build date 01/10
Delivery part number 3C0035684C
HW-Version: H04
SW-Version 1000
Thank you for the confirmation about having the older 1000 version. Strange that initially it looked like everything worked with all the correct screens about progress and successful completion, but then I didn't get VIM. Right now I'm just feeling lucky I didn't brick the unit and I'm going to let it go.

Interesting, the original thread for this has been removed on the VWNavi.com website.

Last edited:

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Mine was built in March 2010 and has the earlier version (1000) and it doesn't take the VIM change. I followed the directions and nothing happens.

Interestingly, there is a guy on ebay who sells the firmware upgrade to version 1040 and unlocks the VIM for $245...you can search there under RNS-510 firmware and find his listing.

Does anyone know if the dealers will upgrade the firmware (for free) if a customer requests it?

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Mine was built in March 2010 and has the earlier version (1000) and it doesn't take the VIM change. I followed the directions and nothing happens.
I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but I'm also glad I'm not alone. I'm sure I did everything correctly considering the way the progress of the update was shown on the unit. Knowing it also didn't work for you makes me feel a little better.

Interestingly, there is a guy on ebay who sells the firmware upgrade to version 1040 and unlocks the VIM for $245...you can search there under RNS-510 firmware and find his listing.
Not worth $245 to me, plus you have to remove your unit and send it to him.

Does anyone know if the dealers will upgrade the firmware (for free) if a customer requests it?
My understanding is it was not released to VW, so the dealer doesn't have the update. There is a thread about the US firmware on VWNavi.com. I subscribed to the thread below, just to be in the loop if the new version is released, hopefully for free.

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13412-Latest-US-firmware-update?p=57569#post57569

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
Thank you for the confirmation about having the older 1000 version. I did try to rerun the 156kb file, but my unit indicated the disc was the same as what I already had and it wouldn't rerun. Strange that initially it looked like everything worked with all the correct screens about progress and successful completion, but then I didn't get VIM. Right now I'm just feeling lucky I didn't brick the unit and I'm going to let it go.

Interesting, the original thread for this has been removed on the VWNavi.com website.
You can always try the RECODE iso to undo the changes.