What did you do to your MK7 today?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Had my windows tinted 5% the other day and got a sun shade from the dealer. Wish I would have done 15 or 20% in the front but it looks good.

I think your pictures are too big or something. Not sure what's going on with the post. :)

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
I could see them on my end but I downsized the pics. Let me know if that fixed it. thanks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I waited a bit because two of my kids decided to go to grad school so I had to recover from the tuition assistance. Still, the car ended up costing about $17,300, after interest and other charges, but before taxes.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Oh what a feeling!
I've been free of car payments since February 2014 now. Bought a brand-new 2016 Mk VII Golf Trendline in August 2015, and paid cash for it.
I'd rather drive a paid-for base Golf than a leased/car loan laden GTI any day. I lusted for a GTI, but my brain won over my emotions.
I compromised and got both.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I waited a bit because two of my kids decided to go to grad school so I had to recover from the tuition assistance. Still, the car ended up costing about $17,300, after interest and other charges, but before taxes.
Nice! Assuming you got the perks of the early lease payoff like others were reporting/talking about? I might just do the same... Your wagon a S or SE?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What perks of early payoff? I thought no payments and the interest savings were the perks. Mine's an S, manual.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I compromised and got both.
I wish! Retirement has resulted in a rather diminished budget so a base Golf it is and will be for the foreseeable future (though the next one will likely be a wagon, I'm jealous of the utility of my wife's wagon). I sold my plane back in June too. Now when I want to admire the view from above, I hike up the local mountain.

They say the two happiest days for a pilot are the day he buys his plane, and the day he sells his plane. Haven't looked back at getting rid of the money pit. Debt-free is a wonderful feeling.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
What perks of early payoff? I thought no payments and the interest savings were the perks. Mine's an S, manual.
I feel like there was more but only because paying early. Like we don't have to pay the dealer some money's too. I'll find the thread and update my post here. Your end number is close to my S DSG, what a bargain we got!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Selecting the lease option saved me about $2,600 over purchase because of the larger rebate, even after interest and fees.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...They say the two happiest days for a pilot are the day he buys his plane, and the day he sells his plane. Haven't looked back at getting rid of the money pit. Debt-free is a wonderful feeling.
They say the same thing about sailors and their boats, and I can vouch for that! A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood, into which one pours money.

Last edited:

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
Paid off the lease.
I'm actually looking at a leftover SE and debating between buying vs leasing and paying it off within a few months. How do you go about getting the payoff amount? Do they make you pay the interest that the lease term would have cost you?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You can get a payoff quote anytime at the VW Credit site. I just ran the payoff, got a bank check, filled out the form they have in .pdf (includes mileage statement) and sent it off to them.

The way they quote the payoff they show the total or remaining payments and then subtract out the sales tax and interest. Odd, but you can see what you're not paying. So no, you don't pay interest on the remaining lease payments.

Still, purchase is cheaper unless, as was true with the leftover never-titled '15s, the rebate/discount is greater for a lease. That's why I did it. Saved me about $2,800 over purchase at 0% interest even after I paid fees and interest.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I had my 10k service done at dealer on Sat. 10/7. Window sticker says full syn 5w-30 and I googled the part # for oil on receipt, so it checked out.It says they filled the ad-blue,but there is no part # or quantity for that. Checked the rear brakes and rotated tires,no charge. Plus they have a catered lunch on Saturdays:D. I'm pretty impressed by this dealer,as I was sitting in showroom I saw many advisors come out and explain what they did to a customers vehicle,explained work done,cost, warranty or not,and it wasn't high pressure at all-they sell multiple car lines. Time will tell,but I've been pleased over the last year w/ the servicing of the '16 Jetta I had and now the TDI....I wish the same could be said for the Kubota dealer.....

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm surprised they'll still lease a leftover '15. When VW had to stop making TDI's in the '06 model year because of the change in emissions laws, they built up an oversupply of '06s and kept selling them well into '07 (you could, technically, buy an brand new Mk IV TDI, either Golf Hatch or Jetta wagon, into '07).

But at least in these parts, VW would only sell them, you couldn't lease them, because they drove out the door with an extra year of depreciation tacked on immediately. A friend tried to lease a brand-new Mk V Jetta TDI in '07, but he ended up having to buy it instead.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I leased a '15 in April. The lease deal was part of the rebate program. Since the rebate took care of any depreciation since 2015 the numbers probably worked for VW Credit. MSRP on my GSW was a little over 26K, but the lease was for 17K or thereabouts.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I leased a '15 in April. The lease deal was part of the rebate program. Since the rebate took care of any depreciation since 2015 the numbers probably worked for VW Credit. MSRP on my GSW was a little over 26K, but the lease was for 17K or thereabouts.
Was your car a buyback or an unsold '15?

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
You can get a payoff quote anytime at the VW Credit site. I just ran the payoff, got a bank check, filled out the form they have in .pdf (includes mileage statement) and sent it off to them.

The way they quote the payoff they show the total or remaining payments and then subtract out the sales tax and interest. Odd, but you can see what you're not paying. So no, you don't pay interest on the remaining lease payments.

Still, purchase is cheaper unless, as was true with the leftover never-titled '15s, the rebate/discount is greater for a lease. That's why I did it. Saved me about $2,800 over purchase at 0% interest even after I paid fees and interest.
msrp is 30455 less 8500 rebate. dealer offered 375 a month plus tax for 24 months and 14618 payoff at the end. is this a good deal? although I can't payoff the full amount in the next few months, paying it off in 2 years isn't a problem. assuming there are no other fees, it seems the lease will cost me 1,660. it would seem i'm saving 3500-1660= 1840 by leasing, instead of taking the 5k rebate with 0%.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Ours is a buy-back and it had 22K miles on the clock. Doing the pay-off tomorrow!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here, couldn't pass it up! Mine only had 80 miles on it from monthly maintaining though. Was pretty cool to see the record's on it and even got factory fill replacement oil change. This particular dealership did not take in ANY stop-sale new cars from other dealers because they knew 100% of their cars got taken care of properly for the duration of their stay. I think that had 30 come in and me and my buddy bought the last 2.

Should have seem me scrambling to change my settlement option from fix to buy back after getting hailed on, HARD!, and finding the unadvertised GSW at the dealership. ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Added some resistance to the steering input feel with the Dynamic steering assistance mode via VCDS. Found this one over in the GSW forum on Vortex.

Select Steering Assist 44
Security Access -> Function 16
Enter Access code 19249
Select Adaptation -> function 10
Channel - > Characteristic curve of steering assistance
Select the steering assistance characteristic: Comfort: Steering is smooth / comfortable, Automatic: steering depending of the driving profile, Driving Profile selection button / default value on my 15 GSW S (*which I think means it NEVER changed from comfort or some arbitrary setting since we don't have the button. Apparently it would change on the AllTrack, 4Motion, Golf, GTI, R or other versions when the S mode was engaged), Dynamic: steering is taut / sporty value can be adapted accordingly.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
^How big of a difference did you feel?
It's not like going from power steering to no power at all but I have to say, it definitely feels better, no so "assisted". "Taut and Sporty" is perfectly put. My undersanding is if you put it on "Automatic" it will have the "normal" for us really assisted feel at low speeds and will firm up at higher speeds.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
It’s funny how VW puts functionality that is not turned on in so many of its cars. I remember having to use VCDS to activate the rain sensor in my 2012 NMS. And now to find out that Sport steering (which I can activate at the touch of a button on my GTI) is embedded in the GSW.

Silly VW.