How do I change my Thermostat in 06 Jetta?

nicemustang

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline with Nav
I've searched around, can't see anything obvious. Is there a how to change the Thermostat in my 06 Jetta TDI? The dealer says that it's toast and the car doesn't warm up at all, but they want $260 CDN to change the thermostat. So is it easy to do and how much should it cost me?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
You are in the right forum you just need to wait for someone with a BEW engine to chime in. I would help you but I have an ALH.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Thermostat

You have a BRM engine.

Direction as per Bentley:cool:
Drain coolant ( you will need to purchas 1 gallon of G12) Can't be any old antifreeze
Remove alternator (generator)
disconnect coolant hose from thermostat housing
remove mounting bolts & thermostat housing
rotate thermostat 1/4 turn counterclockwise & pull it out from housing
when installing, coat new O-ring with coolant
insert thermostat into housing & rotate 1/4 turn clockwise.
Note thermostat must be positioned so that outer support brace is as close to vertical as possible
install housing with thermostat to cylinder block
tighten bolts to 15Nm(11 ft lbs)
install generator
add G12-&distilled water 50/50

MJ72

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pkg1
At first look, it appears that you could skip pulling the generator/alternator. But since the Bentley states you need to, you probably do. I can post or email you the instructions for that if you need them.

If you do this, please post your results. Several of us will find ourselves needing to replace ours at some point too.

Last edited:

nicemustang

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline with Nav
Hmmmm...sounds not too bad except for the alternator...last time I tried to take one of those off...didn't end particularly well. I wouldn't mind having the instructions for that too.

Thanks

MJ72

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pkg1
Removing the alternator looks more complicated then changing the thermostat. Here's the instructions - the pictures help a lot and may be worth the price of buying the book

Removing alternator
-Disconnect battery
-Remove upper engine sound cover
-Disconnect clamps at each end of charge air hose. Unclip fuel hoses and remove charge air hose
-Unbolt B+ wire and wire harness clamp from back of alternator
-Use a small screwdriver to release locking tab and remove harness connector
-Loosen ribbed belt tension using 17mm wrench on tensioner lug. Unhook belt from alternator pulley.
NOTE-Belt does not have to be removed. If removing the belt, mark the direction of rotation. Belt will be damaged if not reinstalled in same direction.
-Remove alternator mounting bolts

Installing alternator
-Before installing alternator, drive threaded sleeves approx. 4mm (1/6 in). (the picture shows you driving the sleeves in a direction toward the back of the alternator)
-Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:
-Before installing the belt, make sure all subassemblies (alternator, a/c compressor, etc.) are securely mounted and turn freely
-If belt was removed, install so running direction is the same as previously marked.
-Make sure belt is seated correctly in the pulleys.
-After installing alternator, reconnect battery and run engine briefly. Shut engine off and check that belt remains correctly seated in belt pulleys.

I believe the mounting bolts are tightened to 40 nm (30 ft-lbs), but I recommend a second opinion on that.

Good luck!