What did you do to your MK7 today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
TDI/TSI/GTI are all based on the same platforms, have been for generations. There are suspension and wheel/tire differences that affect handling, but the base vehicles are all the same. I don't think my MKVII (A7 isn't really a thing, VW had pretty much abandoned the "A" platform designation) is much different than my MKVI was. Both bigger, softer cars than the MKIV. In fairness the MKIV with stock suspension was awful. Maybe the MKVII just needs better dampers.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Tiny things like that can make a huge difference. I know the 6 had suspension rates closer to the GTI, and the 2011 2.5 I drove had terrible body roll, too.

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
Interesting views on the difference in handling between the mk4-mk7 tdis.
I find the mk7 handling and suspension better in all regards. Granted I never modified my mk4 or mk6 suspension.
Maybe I got a good one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As I noted above, MKIV stock suspension was abysmal. However, it responds well to improved struts and shocks. Add a rear bar and they're a different car to drive than stock. MKVI handles well out of the box, but when the VIIs were launched I drove a VI and VII back-to-back and didn't find them significantly different.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you try and keep the pics at 800x600 they won't blow the margins out like what happened here. Using a link/thumbnail that goes to the original high res image is best.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I've discovered that if you put "?w=800" between the ".jpg" and "[/img]," then any size image will display at 800 pixels wide in discussion forums. I use 450 if I'm sharing a portrait-oriented photo.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Picked up the RGM bumper protector from NGP Racing. I'll post a picture once I get it installed.

garms

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline 6M (SEL)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...VW needs to come out with a better and longer MDI adaptor...
The cable that the dealer gave me is perfect for my iPod. It has the old style Apple 30 pin connector and I just leave it plugged in inside the console compartment. Syncs perfectly and works like a charm. I also have an Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter if I should need to plug my iPhone in.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Installed the RGM "Rearguard" bumper protector. Fits great! Also got my ScanGauge back yesterday after a firmware upgrade and programmed it today to read EGT, DPF Temperature, and Boost.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Installed the RGM "Rearguard" bumper protector. Fits great! Also got my ScanGauge back yesterday after a firmware upgrade and programmed it today to read EGT, DPF Temperature, and Boost.
Good stuff. That's exactly what I monitor. You'll see the EGT spike to ~1200 F, followed quickly by the DPF to the same temp each time you regen. Mine regens every 250 miles like clockwork and lasts ~11 minutes. Interested to see what yours does. Please report back so I know I'm "normal". :D

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Installed the RGM "Rearguard" bumper protector. Fits great!
Nice! I need to get one of those.

Today I installed a 1-1/4" Curt receiver hitch. I also purchased a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter so I could install half of the hitch mount bike rack I use on my Suburban (the rack carries four bikes, but can be split to only carry two). Both purchased from etrailer.com. I got the adapter with a 5" rise because the car is lowered a little and I was a little concerned I might scrape the rack leaving parking lots and such. After putting it all together, I'm not sure I needed the 5" rise after all, but oh well.

I thought about just getting the 2" receiver hitch from EcoHitch, but it was $275 and you have to do some cutting on the black plastic panel below the painted bumper skin. The Curt 1-1/4" hitch was $100 and the adapter was $50, and no cutting was required. It required peeling off the bumper skin, but that wasn't too hard... just required some patience.

This was also cheaper than buying more bike carriers for the roof. Plus, I'm not tall so putting more bikes on the roof was going to be challenging for my reach.

Here's a shot of the hitch installed:

Here's a shot with the bike rack (never mind the trailer ready to go to the dump):

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Good stuff. That's exactly what I monitor. You'll see the EGT spike to ~1200 F, followed quickly by the DPF to the same temp each time you regen. Mine regens every 250 miles like clockwork and lasts ~11 minutes. Interested to see what yours does. Please report back so I know I'm "normal". :D
Will do. Do you know if the ScanGauge can monitor Time/Distance since last regen, Soot Mass, etc.?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I'll give them a shout tomorrow. There's an Android app called VAG DPF that does it, so the information is in the ECU. Here's a Screenshot shared by club member amitsekhon.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Nice! I need to get one of those.

Today I installed a 1-1/4" Curt receiver hitch. I also purchased a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter so I could install half of the hitch mount bike rack I use on my Suburban (the rack carries four bikes, but can be split to only carry two). Both purchased from etrailer.com. I got the adapter with a 5" rise because the car is lowered a little and I was a little concerned I might scrape the rack leaving parking lots and such. After putting it all together, I'm not sure I needed the 5" rise after all, but oh well.

I thought about just getting the 2" receiver hitch from EcoHitch, but it was $275 and you have to do some cutting on the black plastic panel below the painted bumper skin. The Curt 1-1/4" hitch was $100 and the adapter was $50, and no cutting was required. It required peeling off the bumper skin, but that wasn't too hard... just required some patience.
I actually got the 2" Eco Hitch back at end of June and finally installed it today.It was pretty simple. It's a nice beefy hitch. I was surprised at how little torque was required to break the bumper bolts free-almost seemed they were barely tightened. I tightened the new bolts to the 18ft-lbs the instructions said to tighten to. The piece I had to trim off was only just under 4", and the fit looks great. I just used a utility knife to cut it out. I need to get the wiring hooked up then it's time to look for a trailer.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron

From where did you buy the rearguard thing? Looks fantastic!

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
this is probably way too makeshift for some to appreciate, but it looks pretty great in person.
ordered a couple shades of color filters from a theater supply site for 6 bucks a pop - cut to size and slapped over maplights w/ some mounting tape. pretty diy, but cheaper than finding blue LED's i'm guessing, and waaay more color options. very groovy at night, and i daresay dim enough to drive safely while on.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Installed some VW OEM aero mods. I've done Ed's HID's and a bunch of other things buy the rear hatch spoilers sure make me grin ear to ear when I look at my wagen. :cool:

(I had a local body shop paint them. They come gloss black from VW.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Installed some VW OEM aero mods. I've done Ed's HID's and a bunch of other things buy the rear hatch spoilers sure make me grin ear to ear when I look at my wagen. :cool:

Nice work! I sort of took it for granted that my GTI has them and my wagon doesn't, but they look really nice on the wagon.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron

Didn't even know that was an option? Got the part numbers handy?
(And just out of curiosity, what kinda price do you pay for a small paint job like that?)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Part numbers are 5G9805945041 and 5G9805946041 and they were $41.58 each. They come in gloss black but I had to go body color so took to the shop that painted parts on my MK5 Jetta. They charged me $150 and turned them around in 3 days.

Ordered from here >>>> http://e-acca.com/

Golfdave has a really detailed write up on the install over on GolfMK7 forums and here is the little intro to where these things came from. https://goo.gl/iUc4HP

"Most “eco” cars have fins around their rear windows to guide the air flow as it leaves the cars bodywork. This creates less drag & turbulence, thus keeping the rear window cleaner, & helping improve the mpg! The standard Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW) does not have these, but the “eco” 1.0lt Bluemotion version does, & so do the “hi-performance”, GTD, & R versions!"

He has some other guides on other aero mods that are OEM VW in the UK that we can do to our cars as well. I'll be performing some of those as well.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I think they're just styling pieces. Otherwise, why wouldn't VW have put them on all of the hatchbacks? Ironically, I've seen some GTI owners remove theirs for styling preferences. Greener grass, right? ;) That said, I like the look of your color-matched pieces.