Oil Pump

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
What are you trying to solve? The OEM pumps are more than sufficient and generally don't fail unless fed dirty oil.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Upgrades can solve many unthought of issues. Now I'm thinking of how exactly the driven slot in the vacuum pump gets worn into a bow tie. It has to be caused by a dwell period of time in suction vs the time the next vane gets to the suction period which relaxes the oil pump shaft causing it to slap backwards against the opposite end of the driving ear in the vacuum pump. Clear as mud ? Maybe there's a better oil pump that solved this issue. Of course, simply having more oil flow wouldn't be bad either.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
You are overthinking this whole thing. If there is an oil pressure issue, it is because there is excessive clearance elsewhere. Probably the intermediate shaft bearing on the belt side.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
you could do this, but I believe that money is better spent elsewhere.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Any one know of a better than oem oil pump for a 1z ? Thanks.

Probably a solution in search of a problem, however I do understand what you mean by the worn drive shaft. But consider how long that lasts.... typically these oil pumps will last "indefinitely", certainly as long as the rest of the engine.

The 1Z's basic design was a leftover from the early '70s anyways, so by the time it came around, it already had the latest and greatest.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I replaced mine at 440,000 miles and while it had some wear, it was due to my neglecting to change the vacuum pump to oil pump shaft seal. Through the design a new seal will keep oil in the mating surface and reduce wear. The oil pumps can be rebuilt as well.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
you could do this, but I believe that money is better spent elsewhere.
Let's see, run extremely expensive oil pump setup or AC + PS with perfectly fine factory oil pump. Not too much of a tough choice in my book. Besides, you'd have a tough time implementing this on the diesel, with IP you'd need some other custom bracket to support the alternator. And I don't see it but is the water pump absent or is it being driven by the timing belt? This is obviously a setup for Mk1 and my guess it's a Mk4 2.0L?

As OH said, that's a solution in search of a problem.

Based on the position of the oil filter I already hate it.

Steve

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, it is a bowtie but it's also easy to see wear.

Here is what it should look like:

And here is what it should not look like:

At the same time, this is what the oil pump keyway should look like:

And not this:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's see, run extremely expensive oil pump setup or AC + PS with perfectly fine factory oil pump. Not too much of a tough choice in my book. Besides, you'd have a tough time implementing this on the diesel, with IP you'd need some other custom bracket to support the alternator. And I don't see it but is the water pump absent or is it being driven by the timing belt? This is obviously a setup for Mk1 and my guess it's a Mk4 2.0L?

As OH said, that's a solution in search of a problem.
Based on the position of the oil filter I already hate it.
Steve
Please note that my post was an example of sarcasm to point out that this is a solution in search or a problem. I would never seriously suggest a dry sump on a tdi for any reason.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
for one the belt is in the wrong position at least once, twice over. if you lose the belt, hence the oil pump, how does engine stop? it ll keep on running, starving. the belt is now also in a very exposed position, not very smart for a belt just as important as the timing belt.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
for one the belt is in the wrong position at least once, twice over. if you lose the belt, hence the oil pump, how does engine stop? it ll keep on running, starving. the belt is now also in a very exposed position, not very smart for a belt just as important as the timing belt.
Holy poop, I was being sarcastic!! Sorry if the tone is lost in text. Personally, I think it's silly to replace a pump that works very well as designed.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Please note that my post was an example of sarcasm to point out that this is a solution in search or a problem. I would never seriously suggest a dry sump on a tdi for any reason.
I wasn't picking at you, you already said that you felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

This has to be a racing setup of some sort. I can't imagine the company that builds it would sell any for street use.

Steve