zerostart / temro coolant heater selection

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
zerostart / temro coolant heater

I have installed two previous FrostHeater kits from Terry on a MK5 and MK6. Both work great.
My MK4 ALH now needs a heater. I have found an old (unused) heater from a different project. It is the same physical shape/dimensions as the frostheater heaters, but of course doesn't have a custom mounting bracket. Is it possible to make this work with the universal bracket? (or other readily available hardware?)
I already have some nice silicone 5/8" heater hose leftover from a previous project, as well as some ez-coils to make the bends in the hose for best fitment and no kinks.
thanks!

Last edited:

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
I have searched, and read many old threads looking for related info. Some are quite helpful, but many had bad links.

Sent from mobile device via Tapatalk

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I have a 1000W Zerostart in my Golf, and it works great in Chicago, even with my car outside. It's on a heavy duty appliance timer to start warming 3 hours before I leave in the morning and does a fine job.

My rudimentary understanding of Oilberta geography says that Okotoks is in the outskirts of Calgary, so you may want the 1500W version if you have to park outside.

The thermostat is a nice feature, as the heater will cycle on and off, but I recall plenty of folks installing the round body 8000-series Zerostarts after they pull out the check valve. Probably shouldn't leave it plugged in all night long, but likely won't be an issue in normal use. If you've got it on a timer, I would definitely give the round one a try.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I bought mine probably about 12 years ago at a Fleet/Farm store clearance for $9.99. Its model 330-5003. It's a 1500 watt version but doesn't say what the on/off values are, just that it's thermostat controlled with overheat protection. It's worked great but even in northern MN 1000 watts would be plenty. Still have the box and instruction sheets. OCD

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
Canadian Tire here in Ontario also carries the Temro Series 8000. I bought the 3308003 model which is the 1500 watt round bodied version with the removable plastic check valve. I forget what I paid. It says "thermostatically protected" but I believe that's just an over temp protection. Online they list the 750 and the 1000 watt for 99.99. I remember going in and asking at the parts counter for one and they had the 1500 watt version which I bought. I have it on a heavy duty block timer set for 3 hours. Works great. I followed one of the threads on here to acquire the heater and additional parts. Here's one http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264053

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Here in Northern Nevada it does get quite cold during the winter, (nothing like Northern Canada of course) and I have my Frost heater plugged into a timer set for 4 hours. If it will get for a few days, I set the timer for 5 hours , and have almost instant heat coming out of the vents.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
the heater i have in hand now, is #3305036 (750w) thermostat controlled (plus overheat protect).

i would really like to utilise it, since it is sitting on the shelf, and has tstat control for energy savings. but, the mounting bracket provided isn't working . . .

any help??