ZDDP additive

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Since installing a new cam and all the other goodies I've been using Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5w40 with the addition of adding ZDDPPlus.
So far my 04 Jetta has 279,717 miles on it. I have put almost 32K miles on it since the new cam, changing the oil every 5K.
A little overkill, maybe, but I have seen what can happen to these cams.

So my question to the oil experts is adding the ZDDP a good thing?

Also I have been considering switching to Pentosin High Performace II. I just saw a post that OILHAMMER uses it for his customers.

Any preference between LM vs Pentosin HP2?

Thanks guys!
Blue

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Oils generally have all the lubricity and cleaning packages already in the oils. Adding more is just pouring money into your oil filler. I haven't used oil additives on any of my Diesels and see no reason to.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Excessive ZDDP can actually be harmful. Many HD diesel oils already have 1200 ppm. Delvac Extreme and Ravenol NDT actually have 1400 ppm. Most euro oils only have 900-1000.

So if you want more ZDDP use a HD oil.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
According to the You Tuber guy on Engineering Explained I think he said ZDDP is good for anti wear but it is not used in high amounts on street cars because it tends to kill cats ....

If you have no worry about cats , ZDDP on for long life (i may have to rewatch that video just in case but I think that was the gist of it).

Andrew

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Also I have been considering switching to Pentosin High Performace II. I just saw a post that OILHAMMER uses it for his customers.

Any preference between LM vs Pentosin HP2?

Thanks guys!
Blue
Nothing but Pentosin High Performace II and Mann filter every 10K miles. 237,000 miles and still motoring on

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
According to the You Tuber guy on Engineering Explained I think he said ZDDP is good for anti wear but it is not used in high amounts on street cars because it tends to kill cats ....

If you have no worry about cats , ZDDP on for long life (i may have to rewatch that video just in case but I think that was the gist of it).

Andrew
I'm not worried about the cats, if it gives me problems I'll rip it's guts out! 🐈

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Nothing but Pentosin High Performace II and Mann filter every 10K miles. 237,000 miles and still motoring on
Does your Passat or Jetta have a PD?
I'm still old school thinking, changing oil every 3,000 so when I go to 5,000 it kinda freaks me out.😳

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
There are different types of ZDDP.

Primary ZDDPs are usually seen in racing and break-in oils, it’s very effective but also volatile so they evaporate which depletes the additive in the oil and will collect in your catalytic converter. These oils are not designed for daily driving and street use.

Secondary ZDDPs are used in most modern oil formulas. They prevent oxidation as well as prevent wear. These are very stable and suitable for long drain intervals. Unless you have an oil burner, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Andrew

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
With the cam wear prone BEW I want the zddp up around 1800ppm since I have no cat. 1800ppm is well below the amount of zddp needed to cause pitting damage. I've done the research on that. Rislone and Rotella T6 have good oil test numbers so I'm staying with that for now.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I use Mobil 1 TDT every 5k miles with half a can of Liqui Moly MoS2. Still on the original cam after 303,500 miles. I sincerely believe using the Castrol 505.01 VW recommended and going 10k miles per oil change was a big factor in cam wear. I switched to Motul Specific 505.01 after 10k miles and Mobil 1 at 100,000 miles. It was shortly after that I started adding the MoS2.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Guess you would really freak with the 10K to 15K I usually go. 😲
Actually 35k is possibly doable ....

I think my last oil change was something like maybe 32k miles and the lab report came back fine so this time around I'm going for 35k!

I'm not sure 35k would be doable if all you're doing is City type driving but I mostly Drive suburban and Highway so not a lot of stop-and-go

Andrew

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Actually 35k is possibly doable ....

I think my last oil change was something like maybe 32k miles and the lab report came back fine so this time around I'm going for 35k!

I'm not sure 35k would be doable if all you're doing is City type driving but I mostly Drive suburban and Highway so not a lot of stop-and-go

Andrew
Even if ppm numbers show good I would be worried about degredation over those many miles from shear forces or other affects on oil chemistry. But it's nice that you're out there testing it for us. Someone has to blaze the New Frontiers :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You know folks have done oil analysis and found it's good way beyond 10k miles. Oil changes at anything less than that is just silly. The efficacy actually increases as it gets byond the old 5k standard. Good that oyu're paying attention, those PD engines do like oil to spec. S to which ones....

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
That's good because I've been doing every 10k.. I just think there is a tipping point somewhere.