Your high mileage turbo life.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Your high mileage turbo

I am seeing more and more failed turbo posts popping up. I don’t want to jinx myself but I have 228k on the stock turbo. I beat on it regularly. Stock tune, etc. Who else has some decent miles on their original turbo? Am I sitting on a time bomb?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Almost 300k on mine; no tune but 1019 nozzles, and it gets stomped pretty regularly.

The nozzles alone were enough to go right to the edge of the stock clutch, which is why no tune -- otherwise I would have. If/when the clutch dies my kid (it's her car now) may tune it, but with the stock clutch in there that would be stupid without changing it since you'd simply roast the OE setup.

Since it's her car now it's also her call; if the turbo lunches and causes a runaway the car is probably junk at this age, but on the other hand if caught before it happens or it fails without that outcome then doing it then isn't all that big a deal -- it's just a money thing and I've strongly cautioned her against buying anything that might be chineesium when it comes to turbos, which she has (so far) heeded. If she DOES buy a chineesium one I won't be the dude installing it.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I have 335k miles on my stock turbo/stock ALH. Its been cleaned twice and due for it third cleaning as soon as i can get to it. When i get past 3000 rpm in it moderately hard, it overboosts and goes into limp mode. My commute has few places to open it up to keep the vanes from clogging. I need to do a better job at spirited driving. Other than the cleaning, it seems to be ok. Doesnt lose that much oil through the intake.

I have been debating on buying a new turbo, but i need to see how bad the rust is getting before i drop $$ on a turbo.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
My 03 was getting occasional limp mode for overboost at 305k miles. Internal VNT worn out - no play in shaft, etc... Swapped it for a low mile unit and it's good to go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I see plenty of BEWs with over 300k on their original turbochargers, but in some cases the vane sensor on the actuator is what fails, which is not available by itself from Borg Warner. Or the actuator itself fails.

I don't think I would lose any sleep over it. I would, however, recommend when the time comes getting a Garrett replacement (VNT-17).

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I had 635k-km on a PD KKK. It had a bit of play and at the end (compressor sheared off and jammed) the car started using oil. Prior to this the car used very little to no oil between 16k-km changes.

I replaced it with a Garrett VNT17 but haven't driven the car yet.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
My Golf is coming up on 440k miles or 708k km with the original turbo. 20k oil changes and lots of highway driving.

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Last turbo I opened had lots of carbon and the ring on the exhaust side was stuck.
I think it helps to let it sit and idle for awhile after driving,..
to let it cool down.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
335K on my turbo and still seems OK so far .....
(fingers crossed!)

Update : 399K now ( 2- 13-19) and still going like the energizer bunny ! Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself !

Andrew

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Currently 235k miles on original turbo, no tune. But 6 months ago, I had to disassemble it for cleaning, and replace the VNT actuator. The engine consumes very little oil (maybe 1/2 liter between oil changes). So the seals in the turbo must still be good.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Turbo reliability & longevity has come along ways there much better built than those of the past these are German cars that are built for the Autobhan in mind & don't like being babyed. they like to be driven like there on an autobhan some time. lol

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I have a 99.5 motor I pulled before junking the car and that turbo had 300k on it. It would make a noise like someone dragging chains under the car.
Saving the motor for another car, will replace that turbo.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Mine has 358k on the original currently. Has a sticking vane, and has lived the last 120k or so over boosting and on dlc 764 injectors. Going to replace it soon, but I'm beyond amazed it still keeps going.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Only 172K miles on my KP-39, but the actuator went out 2 and 1/2 years ago. I managed to replace just the actuator with a Garrett smart actuator from idparts. This required a VNT software delete from Malone.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
220k on the stock BEW turbo. Kerma TDI stage 3 with otherwise stock engine. I still tow and drive it hard, no issues except for boost creep (and limp mode) if I stay on it for more than 10 seconds at redline in 4th or 5th. So much for a supposedly notorious KP-39 turbo

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
395K on my son's '02 Golf with original turbo. Lots of highway miles from the PO, and my son drives it pretty hard. Got a new actuator 5 years ago, but works great.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
395K on my son's '02 Golf with original turbo. Lots of highway miles from the PO, and my son drives it pretty hard. Got a new actuator 5 years ago, but works great.
Yeah. dont be surprised driving it like that i think is actually a good thing to do some time on these vehicles. lol it Just seems the more research i put in on how German vehicles are put together & built or ment to be driven & designed for. as far as me getting to understand how there engines, drivelines & the rest of the vehicle comes together as being reliablely built & put together goes? is from me talking to some German tech/mechanics some have said a TDI like mine will run forever one technition i wrote to said VW tdi's likes to be runned hard wide open on the motorway as part of there everyday mantenance run to keep engine clean of carbon down really.?? over here in Canada we cant do that. lol im just wondering if realy driving it that hard would be any beneficial to a German built vehicles engines turbo like mine part of me says no while the other part of me says uhhmm? got me kinda wondering.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I pulled a 5x8 trailer with my 99.5 to springfield mass and back (3 hour ride one way). Was fighting a head wind and many hills and doing about 75+ MPH the whole way. Was running it pretty much peddle to the metal and had to back off due to EGTs multiple times. Never heard it run so smooth and quiet afterwards. Oil consumption dropped dramatically too.

These cars love to be run hard.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My TDIs never runs better than after a track day. I'd swap street tires back on, load up the car, and inevitably pull onto the road home and wonder where all that power came from. Couple hours of running to redline in every gear and getting EGTs up over 1500 does them good.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
352k here and stock turbo still going strong.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
590,000 kms on my turbo. Never touched it. I always let it idle for a few minutes after long trips but otherwise little oil consumption. 2000 Golf.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
590,000 kms on my turbo. Never touched it. I always let it idle for a few minutes after long trips but otherwise little oil consumption. 2000 Golf.
Congrats.!! On the mileage. :cool: i too let idle for a minute or 2 when its really cold out i think the key is not only leting it idle a little at start-up but also being carefull driving off afterword as well until its warmed up. i also beleive the turbo's longevity has also alot too do on using the proper spec 507 spec oil many 2012 Jetta's call for like mine. Yes 507 spec oil is a low ash oil to protect the DPF exhaust emission filter from pluging up but the other side of the coin is? it also will protect the engine & more importantly the expensive Turbo component itself.

kreibach

Veteran Member
TDI
sold my 03 :-(
I had 340k miles on my OEM turbo. Got limp mode the last 20k miles and in hindsight the high RPM was restricted. Got a new VNT-15 and it loves to rev now. The actuator arm to ring wore out. Everything else seemed to be OK.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
My TDIs never runs better than after a track day. I'd swap street tires back on, load up the car, and inevitably pull onto the road home and wonder where all that power came from. Couple hours of running to redline in every gear and getting EGTs up over 1500 does them good.
You think you drive it fast I found this on youtube these guys drive there high powered German built machines at Max on Germanys Autobhan I have to admit these are some really fast Missiles with people that have nerves of steell I seen this guy on the Autobhan driving his Lamborghini at 300 Kim's on a strait away he was doing fine until he hit some low dips in the road going straite and his car lost control & went into a ditch not sure if he survived it or not. goes to show you if you don't know the road don't drive at Max speed on the Autobhan I might Just make a trip to Germany some day be safe. :) Prost...! in German means Cheers...!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjiR4zKtLPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk2hSIJd9A

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Does anybody have a turbo with over 500k miles? I am slowly getting there (at about 450k now) and am starting to notice more oil around my asv lately.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That might be from the egr valve, not the turbo.