Yet another wagon suspension thread

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Sorry to post another one...I've just finished reading a lot of them. Looking for a little confirmation on what I'm considering doing, as well as any way to cut back on the price a bit.

My '05 wagon currently has raceland coilovers and is probably 1.5-2" lower than stock. I hate the ride feel (too rough) and the 3" kerma exhaust rests on the rear axle beam and rattles/vibrates a lot, super annoying.

My goals:
1) Ride comfort. I want stock or better comfort on the road
2) Stock height or slight lift, nothing crazy
3) Not spongy steering. I put Bilstein TCs on a previous sedan and the front felt like it was floating on clouds at highway speeds. Yuck.

If it's relevant, the car has 17" Audi "Fat Five" wheels. My winter wheels will be a set of stock Avus 15" wheels.

Here's what I"m considering (I must buy struts/shocks AND springs to replace the coilovers, no idea where the stock parts are because the PO put racelands on):

-Koni FSD shock/strut kit (~$600)
-VR6 Wagon front springs (1J0411105CD, 2blue2white) (~$270 for pair)
-Wagon Towing rear springs (1J0511115AN, 5green) (~$330 for pair)

When I add all other suspension components, it adds up pretty quickly to a really expensive job. Is there a better route to go to achieve what I'm going for? I don't need racecar like handling, looking mostly for ride comfort but the car will also be loaded down from time to time for cross country travel.

Thanks for the feedback.