Yet another MFA cluster/Navi product

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
A cool MFA/Navi/MP3/Diagnostic product

http://www.3pmdev.com/
Description
3pmdev is a fully functional "Plug-N-Play" vehicle PC that attaches to the Powertrain CAN-bus and connects to the original equipment Navigation System "Volkswagen MFD" or "Audi Navi Plus".
The system can display over 40 Diagnostic values from the Engine Control Unit (e.g.: Engine Power, Torque, and Various temperatures), in both text and graphic form, in real-time, and on the Original Navigaton Display! Furthermore, it contains a convenient Media-Player, a Photo Album, and integration with Microsoft Outlook for Appointment & Contact synchronization.
Operaton of the system is accomplished entirely over the original Navigation system buttons. The display has the same look and feel as the original Navigation System so that the user is immediately comfortable with it's method of operation.
Idea
Originally, we wanted to investigate how the Navigation systems operated. We collected alot of information in a very short time, and we constantly had new ideas, which still may be implemented.
At first, we were interested in alteration of the Navigation system boot image, and the vocal output. These concepts are further discussed at the project website. (Navi Projekt).
Once our knowledge and capability with the Navigation system reached a sufficient level, we began searching for ways to have more CD's than the CD changer allows :) So then came the 3pmdev.
Displays for the FIS screen:

Displays for the NAVI screen!!!

Last edited:

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
Lito, awesome find :) This thing looks awesome... especially the configurable FIS display.

too bad they want 1280 Euros... ouch.

let's see.. $1500 + $900-1000 for the navi.. + a few hundred $$ for the TMC box.. *sigh*

so near.. yet so far..

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
*sigh* LOL

BlueCTTDi said:
Lito, awesome find :) This thing looks awesome... especially the configurable FIS display.

too bad they want 1280 Euros... ouch.

let's see.. $1500 + $900-1000 for the navi.. + a few hundred $$ for the TMC box.. *sigh*

so near.. yet so far..
It's only money. You'll make more tomorrow! I have to give the credit to Mishari from VWNavi.com. He's the one who sent me the link.

Right now, this product only works through the Can bus. They are working on a 3LB version.

So if you have a Navi unit G, with a TMC box it will work with it.

I spoke to the guy on the phone and their product will eventually act like a TMC box to translate the data over the can bus to the FIS. So that's how 3LB users will be able to see data in the FIS.

Lito

Last edited:

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I wish I could get a hold of the specs for the 3LB. I have the wherewithal to write a driver, but not to reverse-engineer the protocol. I'd like to know how these guys get the information. Kudos to them if they reverse-engineer it!

(Also kudos if they have a "friend" inside VAG!)

moondawg

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
moondawg said:
I wish I could get a hold of the specs for the 3LB. I have the wherewithal to write a driver, but not to reverse-engineer the protocol. I'd like to know how these guys get the information. Kudos to them if they reverse-engineer it!

moondawg
Ohh I hear you on that one I would have done this ages ago if I had time to finish reverse engineering the protocol :(

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 1.8t, 2003, Platinum Gray
moondawg said:

moondawg
There is actually something out there already to emulate the 3lb protocol.

http://home.tiscali.de/matthiasklumpp/FisFool/FisFool_Overview_e.html

While the development guys certainly do have friends at VAG, this product was 99% reverse engineering the ridiculous amount of data on the Powertrain CAN.

If you have any questions about the product, feel free to ask :)

Regards,

Phil

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phil,

Thanks for posting! Please keep us folks here "in the loop"? I am very interested in this product.

Lito

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
tongsli said:
Phil,

Thanks for posting! Please keep us folks here "in the loop"? I am very interested in this product.

Lito
Certainly -- I'll keep this thread up to date regarding the 3pmdev.

Regards,

Phil

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
BrentB said:
I have read over that site before and although there is some general info for displaying info onthe top two lines there is nothing said about the graphical portion of the display. I would be nice to have full info on both.
I wish I had another resource to point you to, but alas, I don't.

Regards,

Phil

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
pheller said:
There is actually something out there already to emulate the 3lb protocol.

http://home.tiscali.de/matthiasklumpp/FisFool/FisFool_Overview_e.html

While the development guys certainly do have friends at VAG, this product was 99% reverse engineering the ridiculous amount of data on the Powertrain CAN.

If you have any questions about the product, feel free to ask :)

Regards,

Phil
YOU ROCK. Thank you very much!

moondawg

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Some 3pmdev installation pics

So, at the following URL are a few pics of the 3pmdev installed in my car:

3pmdev Installation Photos

A few things to note:

1) Running older software, pre language translations.
2) Did not yet have my FIS, so no pictures there.
3) Only had a 512MB USB Flash disk attached, so limited music and only in one folder.
4) Oh, and converted some mpeg4 encoded stuff from iTunes, so lost the metadata in the process (hence, no id3 tags).

Once the firmware issues are all resolved, I'll take some new pictures to show off the translations and full capabilites of the FIS and media player :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok Phil, stop the torchure

I'm ready to ditch the phatbox and install this thing! Very nice.

Lito

Last edited:

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
tongsli said:
I'm ready to ditch the phatbox and install this thing! Very nice.

Believe me, I'm not trying to torture you!

I must tell you, though -- this thing is a serious distraction. Watching the road becomes less interesting when you can flip through all these graphs and watch them update realtime. :)

--phil

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
With the exception of the High Water Marks in the graphical display, which is being addressed, yes.

--phil

shag

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Old thread revival, sorry... but what the heck is going on with the 3pmdev.com site? Did it get hacked or just taken down by the owners?

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
shag said:
Old thread revival, sorry... but what the heck is going on with the 3pmdev.com site? Did it get hacked or just taken down by the owners?
It is in the process of being migrated to a new server, and apache was not compiled with mod_xsl.

It'll be back up when the folks in Munich get apache rebuilt.

--phil

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
any news about this project??

i'd be very interested, but the site is not updated since 3 years and they don't reply to mail, i'd like to know if this 3mpdev is still in prodction or not..maybe new prices, new thing added, new software version, ecc..

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
M206 said:
any news about this project??

i'd be very interested, but the site is not updated since 3 years and they don't reply to mail, i'd like to know if this 3mpdev is still in prodction or not..maybe new prices, new thing added, new software version, ecc..
As you might have guessed from the thread, I was the North American reseller.

In conjunction with leaving my old day job for something new, I no longer had time to devote to 3pmdev North America. Besides that, the German development team in Munich also has other things which they are giving priority to.

Therefore, while they still have products to sell, I personally could not sell one in good conscience -- knowing how long it has been since there has been any real development on the product.

It's too bad, it's a great idea and did work pretty well when there was active development and bug fixes.

--phil

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
:( :(

really bad news..

so do you think there is really no hope for future developements??:confused:

thanks anyway for your reply..

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
M206 said:
:( :(

really bad news..

so do you think there is really no hope for future developements??:confused:

thanks anyway for your reply..
Yeah, I hate to give bad news. To say that there is hope for future developments would be irresponsible of me.

Never say never, but I know it's been perhaps 8 months since the last change in the code.

And I know it's been a year since there has been anything meaningful on the forum.

Once again, sorry!

I may be willing to sell mine, though. Send me a PM if that interests you.

--phil

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
pheller said:
Yeah, I hate to give bad news. To say that there is hope for future developments would be irresponsible of me.

Never say never, but I know it's been perhaps 8 months since the last change in the code.

And I know it's been a year since there has been anything meaningful on the forum.

Once again, sorry!

I may be willing to sell mine, though. Send me a PM if that interests you.

--phil

thanks, you're really kind..

but right now i don't have neither the mfd1 navi installed, so for now i've to wait..would you sell your mfd1 too??would it be compatible with my immo3 leon??and, if i can ask, why do you want to sell them??

thanks again..

byez

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
M206 said:
thanks, you're really kind..

but right now i don't have neither the mfd1 navi installed, so for now i've to wait..would you sell your mfd1 too??would it be compatible with my immo3 leon??and, if i can ask, why do you want to sell them??

thanks again..

byez
I actually have an extra MFD1 Navi, it would work with an Immo3 car, but I don't know about the steering wheel controls or FIS communication..... Not sure which TMC tuner you'd need.

I'm willing to sell the extra Navi as it was only necessary for the demo 3pmdev on the bench at car shows, and for bench testing / development.

I'm considering parting with the 3pmdev in my car because it just doesn't interest me that much any more. I simply listen to music with it, and that is it.

I'm still not sure I want to sell it though. I'll think about it :)

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
thebaz67 said:
What is needed for this item to operate properly?

MFD G and the correct TMC box?

It looks fantastic.

Baz
It will function with any MFD1 or Navi+ that supported the TV Tuner (B,C,D,G).

No TMC tuner is required for VW installation, as the 3pmdev does not display any FIS data on the VW (different protocol than Audi).

So long as the proper TMC tuner is installed in an Audi, then it will display data on the Audi FIS.

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
hi to all!
any news about this??

did you find a solution to get the cd-text on your navi screen and on your fis too??

i've look around but i've not been able to find something tested on golf 4 to get the mp3 cd-text displayed..

cause as you know i'd like to upgrade my car and get an oem navi (so i can use at 100% my full fis sport edition) but i'd like to know if it's possible in some way to get the cd-text displayed..

Have you seen this Dietz Adapter 72320?

It allows display of id3 tags in FIS

http://www.dietz.biz/dokumente/72320_D-E.pdf

Only works through 3LB though (not CANBUS)

Or again:

http://www.idsl.com.hk/iplug-rds/

but who knows if they work on golf 4 with a RNS2 instead of standard MFD1..

maybe have a look and then let me know if you find out something interesting...

byez.