Yet another Corrado TDI swap

G60'rado

TDI
1990 Corrado G60, Donor Mk4 Jetta, Donor 1994 Corrado VR6
Hi everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

History.
I had a really rusty 1990 VW golf 1.6 diesel, that I knew was on it was on borrowed time. It had 400,000+ km on it, it was more rust than metal. It dropped a valve at highway speed about 1/2 way into the corrado project.

I had an opportunity to acquire a wrecked 2000 TDI Jetta, with a good running engine. That led me down the rabbit hole to find a cool car to put it in. I was thinking sirocco, but couldn't find anything that was close, and wasn't a rusty heap. A 1990 Corrado g60 with a decent body came up 3 hours away, with no engine/trans. A few months later, a 1994 Corrado VR6 came up, with a rotten body. 3 cars became 1.

The Jetta donated the engine, harness, abs, cluster, and computer. Sold the interior and bits for a few dollars. Scrapped.
The 1994 Corrado donated its interior, complete electrical system, suspension, fenders, and the fuel tank/trunk floor. Sold the engine and trans. Scrapped.
The 1990 Corrado is a triumph of abomineering.

As I fell further down the rabbit hole, feature creep took hold.

As the car sits.
  • 2000 TDI Engine, with a Mk 3 "CTN" 5 speed. VR6 clutch.
    • The engine is on the MKIV pendulum mount on the front, and the stock 2 transmission mounts. Passenger side crossmember engine mount has been deleted.
    • Planned upgrade to the engine is 2004 Passat VNT-17a turbo
    • B4 Passat TDI pedal box (bolt in) for the electronic throttle.
    • 1994 Corrado VR6 front and rear suspension.
  • TEVES-20 abs with EDL. (creep)
    • B4 Passat TDI booster with ABS bracket (also a bolt on)
    • Lines recycled from the 2000 Jetta.
  • B4 Passat moon roof (creeep). Both the 1994 and 1990 Corrado sunroof were stripped out.
  • Climatronic (epic creeeeep)
    • Started off with a hacked up Corrado AC/heater box, and B5 Passat Climatronic from Pick n Pull. Got it mostly working, but.....
    • Found a mkiv golf with Climatronic. Swapped the heater box out, and put in the wiring harness for climatronic.
    • Had to replace the recirculation flap motor.
    • Connects on the K-Line Bus
  • MKIV Instrument Cluster (legendary creeeeeeep)
    • Was originally just going to use the 2000 Cluster. But..
    • Learned about the W8 full FIS cluster. I now have 3, one in the car, and 2 spares. I have a problem.
      • Learned my way around the brilliant KW1281Test, Dashdump edit, and purchased VAGCOM Lite.
      • Flashed the 1J5-920-946 program into the W8 Cluster, and copied the speedometer/tach/coolant/immo key config from my 2000 TDI cluster.
      • Wired in the function of the Corrados MFA stalk into up, down, and reset.
      • Programmed the immobilizer so it recognizes the rclick.co.uk fobs
      • Used a MK IV speed transducer that screws into the top of the CTN transmission.
    • The W8 is a CANBUS cluster, and most of the inputs don't display (door open, hatch open, lights on, buzzer/gong)
    • I have grabbed a 1C0 comfort module to experiment with and add door/lights status to the FIS
Spent weeks building wiring diagrams in kicad (and implementing on the car, revise, rinse, repeat) to make all this **** plug into the CE2 fuse box, ODB2 connector, K-Line block, and making it talk amongst itself. It's up to 5 pages of 11x17. I plan on releasing these on git-lab, it is slightly customized for my needs, but should be a good reference for any one to use as a starting point.

As it sits now, I have most everything talking amongst themselves.
Need to remove the last of the unused wires from the CE2 fuse box.
The canbus gateway can see the ABS, & ECU.
Instrument cluster is all wired, and free of faults. Speedometer input works, and shares the speed signal with the ECU and Climatronic.
The ECU is down to 5 or so faults (open solenoids, and a glow plug fault I need to chase)
Climatronic is clear of faults, just need to wire into the fan controller
ABS has a failed ABS sensor fault, but is happy enough so far. Will need VAGCOM to bleed it.

Next step, clear the engine and glow plug faults, put some oil in the engine, stuff some diesel into it, and try to get it to light off and run.
After that, pull the engine, and do a rebuild. Head gasket, gaskets, water pump, timing belt, spray paint over haul, and check bearings.

Piece together parts for the AC system. The Corrado serpentine condenser is in rough shape. Possibly a MK IV condenser.

Thanks for reading along.

Last edited:

G60'rado

TDI
Reference Materials.
Software for pulling out SKCS, dumping and writing rom images, cluster and ECU manipulation.
KW1281Test

Software for changing configuration of cluster rom images beyond VAGCOM coding. Also useful for moving cluster configs between various clusters, including Immo2 to Immo3.
Dashdumpedit

P3000 - 35-10 Code - Malfunction Message From Instrument Cluster / Glow Plug Indicator Light

Last edited:

G60'rado

TDI
Small bit of progress today.

Spent part of last weekend chasing down a no start. Turned out the factory alarm wasn't letting the starter solenoid pull in. So either I have a bad box, or I booger'd something up in the wiring. The alarm system does mostly work, with all the doors closed, the alarm light flashes. If you tamper with the hood switch or open a door, it goes off. It doesn't honk when you arm the system, and the immobilizer doesn't turn off. I have it on the bench to wire it up, and see if i can make it work. I think I have a spare in my extra modules box in storage.

Today, I was clearing up faults in the instrument cluster and ECU, and had engine immobilizer preventing start popping up now,

The drawings for the cluster (2003 W8 passat), didn't show the W-line coming from the ECU going to the cluster. There wasn't even a wire in the instrument cluster harness for T32a/5. The drawings for the 2000 ALH, on the other hand, showed the W-Line going to T32a/5, so I guess they did away with that in later cars (immo 3). What I had read was to wire the W-Line from the ECU to the K-line bus and call it done. I could communicate with the ECU, and it seemed happy enough. Just getting immobilizer alerts, and couldn't program keys.

I thought I'd trying hooking up the ECU W-Line to T32a/5 temporarily. Before an adaptation 00/Save, I was getting a cluster unauthorized on the ECU, which was a code for me.

After an adaptation 00 / Save, it would let me program keys, the immobilizer code went away, along with the cluster unauthorized code.

Now to figure out the door open, hood open, lights on gong/buzzer. I haven't messed around with the CCM module yet, it is also on the bench, waiting for some love and attention.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
That's really cool!

G60'rado

TDI
Cleared up another code today on the ECU using the information on an old post.

P3000 - 35-10 Code - Malfunction Message From Instrument Cluster / Glow Plug Indicator Light

Added some bodge wires to switch the EPC and anti-theft indicators (cut the traces). Going to keep my eyes open at the wreckers for a immo 3 TDI faces, and convert one of my W8 spare clusters to have glow plugs.

On the back side, I added a 0 ohm resistor to clear the glow plug indicator fault in the ecu. I had previously put a 160 ohm resistor in for the glow plug. (No 180 ohms on my scrap cluster I'm stealing parts from).

G60'rado

TDI
First smoke!

After working all summer wiring up the Corrados CE2 to the ALH ECU, I got to the point that I thought that I could try firing the engine.

The faults (except for quantity adjuster) where cleared. The W8 cluster was talking to the ECU. The immobilizer was working.

I purged lines, purged the pump. Could not get fuel to squirt from the cracked injection lines, at best it would dribble, and if I cranked enough it would start to squirt a bit. But as soon as I stopped cranking (trying to not cook the starter), it would dribble again.

Rebled the pump (took the fuel return off, and flowed fuel through it), no bubbled in the clear feed line. disconnected the injection lines, and bled them with a vacuum pump.

Did this for 2 weekends, checking various things. Crank, bleed.

Pulled the injectors, they were dry (not popping). Checked all the glowplugs. Found a bad plug on the crank position sensor that wouldn't lock, so I replaced that. Grabbed a spare 11mm pump from picknpull just in case. Also ordered a bosch socket set from the UK, and a timing adapter kit.

Started looking at the quantity adjuster code (should of started there). Checking voltages. No power to the QA. Also, measuring block 19 showed 0 volts in both blocks.

I had forgotten to wire the power wire to the QA. Pin 5 on the injection pump plug. :-|

As soon as I put power to the QA, the engine fired right up.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Very cool, can't wait to see you posting how awesome it is on the road:love:

G60'rado

TDI
Been a little while since I posted.. Work is continuing.

Wired the injection pump power in permanently to the fusebox. Same power as the engine computer, as it was wired in the Jetta.

Pruned the unused wires from the ECU and the remaining unused from the fuse box.

Made sure the engine still ran with the finalized wiring.

And..

Glass beaded alot of the aluminum accessories and brackets. Accessory bracket, oil pan, oil filter housing, front engine mount.

Pulled the engine and blew it apart. Was hoping for gaskets, timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. Then a clean and spray paint overhaul.

The cylinders are pretty smooth, no crosshatch. Fortunately no ridge at the top. Bearings have a bit of wear. So we are at measuring the bores, and plasti-gauge the crank and rods. Hopefully a dingleball job and new rings and bearings will wrap up the short block.

Need to find a local shop to give the head a hot tank, inspection, and deck.

In the mean while, cleaning the rust, baked oil, and crud off of the block. Most of today was spent wire wheeling 1/2 the block, and getting that half into some black engine paint.

G60'rado

TDI
Quick update

Checked the bores on the engine with a bore gauge and micrometer. Top, middle, bottom. Parallel and perpendicular to the crank.

Have about .001" taper from the top to the bottom, and the cylinder were all with in the .0039" limit for wear at standard bore.

My worst cylinder was 3.132". Most were 3.131".

The standard size according to the Bentley bible is 3.1303".

Time for a dingleball to break the glaze, and new standard rings :D

Next up, micrometer the crank, which looks perfect. So hopefully a standard bearing set too.

That will help the budget alot.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not a fan of the dingle ball hones, unless they were made specifically for that bore size. If too big (diameter) they will over-hone the bores. Stone hones give a more consistent cross hatch imho.

Last edited:

G60'rado

TDI
Haven't put up any pictures..
The grotty mess on the stand.

Coming apart

Descaling the block.
Scrapers, dull chisel, wire wheels, wire brush, and finally down to die grinder and small stones.

Whatever black engine paint I had laying around in the cabinet of wonders and chemicals.
I think it was a gm low gloss black duplicolor.

Since cleaning the block, I've hit the bores with a 3 stone hone (not a dingleball), run a stone over the deck to clean it.
The head and fly wheel are at the machine shop.

A lot of aluminum parts have been through the sandblaster, and given a quick clear coat to seal the raw aluminum.

This weekends chore was the clean the intake manifold. It had been soaking in the varsol tank for 2 week, and still was full of tar. Took a shot at something I saw in a you tube video that some one did to clean TDI heads, and it was fire. Used a small propane torch and some solvent to light the manifold off until the tar begin to burn itself. Then knock all the charcoal briquettes out, wash, scrub, sandblast, burn, rinse repeat. Final rinse with laquer thinner until it stopped turning brown with chunkies. The antishudder / egr got a soak and brush (rinse, repeat) in varsol until it was clean.

Going to get a cheap phone boroscope, and have a look on the side i can't see to make sure there isn't gunk or charcoal waiting to fall into the engine as soon as I get it running.

Waiting on parts from rockauto to put the crank back in. New oil pump/chain, mains, turbo cart for the VNT-17A.

Still need to find a place locally for rod bearings, rings, and oil pump tensioner (unavailable from rock auto).

Progress!

G60'rado

TDI
Make yourself a Smokebird!

More Corrado, less engine. Summer is coming! :)

I just bought this for $20 (heavily marked down) and it works with my old NetBook. Made in Vietnam and a good brand too.
Autel MV105 MaxiVideo Digital Inspection Camera | JB Tools
Got me one of these. Superhappyfun brand. It is 720p, so it has decent resolution, and connected to my phone no problems.
" USB Endoscope for OTG Android Phone, Computer, 5.5 mm Borescope Inspection Snake Camera Waterproof with Micro USB, Type C, 16.4FT Semi-Rigid Cord with 6 LED Lights "

It works pretty well, and i could see the inside of the intake was quite clean after the burnout treatment.

Today I got the crank in, new main bearings, new bolts. They plastigaged out to .051mm, and .08mm thrust.
Torqued to 48 ftlb plus 90 degrees.

Tommorrow is rods and pistons.

G60'rado

TDI
Been awhile since I posted anything, but work continues.

Bottom end is built. New std bearings, teflon front and rear main seals, new melling oil pump, new std rings. All the aluminum parts are glass beaded, and then clear coated.

Waiting for the head to come back from the machine shop. It just needed to be decked, the exhaust guides were smashed, and the intakes were "not as bad as the exhaust". I said to do both intake and exhaust guides.

Hanging stuff on the block.

Hanging accessories. Cleaned up the power steering pump, AC pump, alternator, and 11mm IP.

My "budget" crank bolt torque tool. Took 30m to make. Let me get the 90 deg pretty easily.

Some engine compartment wiring in the process of being taped and routed.

The b4 passat booster and ABS to replace the janky corrado abs pump assembly. I have a Teves 20 from a mkiv with the electronic diff lock.

Looks factory, and communicates on the canbus/k-line to the cluster and ecu.

Putting new guts into the VNT-17va from a 2004 passat 2.0 tdi. The VNT-15 originally off of this engine was all coked up and the vanes wouldn't move, so I made the right choice getting the manifold and larger turbo.

Next up to change the input seal on the trans, and continue wrapping the under dash wiring.

Thanks for reading along.

Cheers!

G60'rado

TDI
Engine is together. Got the cylinder head back from the machine shop finally. Waiting on valve guides apparently.

Bought the discount timing kit from (cam lock plate, inj pump pin, and timing belt tension wrench), rolled the engine to TDC using a dial gauge through the injector hole.
Made sure the injection pump was in the middle of the bolt travel for adjustment.

Found out the hard way that valve cover gaskets are only sold with a whole new valve cover. This seems incredibly wasteful, plus i spent a ton of time cleaning the existing valve cover, scraping out the old gasket, bead blasting the cover, and finally a nice coat of high heat aluminum paint.

Amazon to the rescue.
ALH Valve Cover Gasket

It fit really well, a few dabs of ultra black to hold it in place, and the usual spots in corners. Also very soft, my old gasket was petrified and leaking like mad.

In the process of building a small adapter pipe to move the turbo down and closer to the engine. While the turbo manifold fits the ALH just fine, it rotates the turbo up and out compared to the stock turbo location. So, it is not a bolt on, and some fab work will be reqiured to make it fit. Especially if you're keeping the EGR system.

Waiting on delivery of a Mambatec ALH Turbo feed flex line.

The transmission is now in a billion pieces, the gear oil had turned into brown mud. Everything looks good inside, but the spider gears in the diff are trashed. So, looking for replacements for a 97 CTN tranny.