Yep, a VW is a VW no matter where you live.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Today I learned that it's not where the VW is from, it's that it's a VW and will throw you a curve ball regardless of location.

Snoopy Smiles drove the 200 miles up from Tucson to have me work on one of her B4's again, this time it was the gray one I initially worked on. It's in nice shape and we did some stuff to it earlier. I was going to finish up the list due to running out of time last time.

I heard the car coming up the road and it sounded normal, but when she pulled in it was anything but. It was leaking oil everywhere and her cars do not leak oil.

So I jacked it up to have a look. Initially I thought either the turbo oil feed line or the drain line. I checked the oil and it was low, not on the dipstick, not a good sign. I added what little TDI oil I had left, about a quart, and it showed just on the bottom of the dipstick, so it was about 2-2.5 quarts low. The entire passengers side was coated in oil, and it was everywhere. I looked around and the turbo feed and drain lines were ok but the turbo was wet all across the bottom.

So I dig a little deeper, lowered the car some, and had her start it since it now had enough oil in it. It was dripping/draining profusely from the oil pan gasket that was just replaced.

So I checked the oil pan bolts and they weren't even finger tight! I grabbed my torque wrench and was able to get at least a full turn on each one just to get to the specified 15 ft-lbs, and that included the two under the flywheel plate (that are 8-10 ft-lbs).

However, it still leaked. I checked my stash and did not have a spare oil pan gasket. Then I thought about the front main seal since the plastic inner timing belt guard is at that same spot. So I popped the top cover to see if the belt had oil on it, and it did. That's when I found the Mark-N-Pray timing marks and the tensioner tensioned the wrong way. Ugh.

The oil pan gasket was replaced about 50 miles prior to the trip to my house and the previous owner had the timing belt changed about 3,000 miles ago (different garages in different states).

So I tossed the wheel back on it (after washing it since it was coated in oil), got the deer out of the way, and we pushed it outside until I can get the parts to fix it properly. I have a spare timing belt kit but it's a few years old now and I'd rather put a new one on again since she drives frequently to Oregon. Since I don't know if it's the oil pan gasket or the front main seal, I'll just replace both since the timing belt needs changing again anyway and I'll already be in there.

It'll have to sit outside next to my Optima, which now needs a new battery as well as 2 front calipers...that's tomorrow's project. I'm still working 12 hour days 5 times a week at 2 different jobs until I can get my replacement trained at the lab, so I'm still pretty beat. Thankfully the wagon still runs great and smokes less now that I turned the IQ down. The garage was coated in oil so I cleaned it up for the work tomorrow and an oil change on the wife's Sorento.

Snoopy Smiles caught a shuttle ride from my area down to the Phoenix airport and then from the airport to Tucson. I would have driven her down if she couldn't get a ride but wasn't looking forward to 7-8 hours behind the wheel. She offered to have the car towed back but my fear is the same people who did the oil pan gasket would then have their hands into the engine and I doubted they were up to the task. I felt bad she brought it all the way up and I never got the chance to fix anything. I'm just glad I got to it in time and it didn't leave her stranded with a blown motor.

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
Could you please explain why the tensioner is tensioned the wrong way? I didn't realize it would be possible to do that the wrong way with the marks on it and all

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I’d be wary of going up to 15 ft/lbs on those poor little oil pan bolts… typically, the spec given for those is 8-10 Newton-meters – not foot pounds!

take it from someone who’s snapped the heads off oil pan bolts… not a fun experience!

as far as leaks go… I’ve just learned to embrace the leaks at this point.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This thread could have been titled: "Botched repairs are botched repairs, no matter where you live."

Through repeated efforts I've finally eliminated oil leaks on my B4. New CCV pipe, valve cover gasket and grommets got rid of a lot of them. New output shaft seals took care of the rest. Belly pan is now clean.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
This thread could have been titled: "Botched repairs are botched repairs, no matter where you live."

Through repeated efforts I've finally eliminated oil leaks on my B4. New CCV pipe, valve cover gasket and grommets got rid of a lot of them. New output shaft seals took care of the rest. Belly pan is now clean.
So true, Peter.

The funny thing is that she had them replace the oil pan gasket to stop a oil stain from getting worse. But it may have been the front seal on its way out. I’ll find out more when I get in there.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
They're 25Nm (18ft-lb), according to Bentley. 4cyl gassers are 15ftlb, 6cyl are 11.
It’s not my intention to be pedantic here, just sort of trying to make people aware. I’ve snapped M6s trying to go up that high. I seem to remember a discussion on here where there was some consternation about that spec being misprinted in the Bentley. Looking up the safe max torque on an M6 fastener, 15 ft-lbs is well beyond the recommended limit, in fact it’s about double the recommended torque of “about 10 Nm”. The VR6 uses the same bolts… so why is the spec different?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Those are a pain. My wife wants to shoot them due to them eating her flowers but we live in a residential area and they know they're safe.
How about a bow and arrow?? You think they'd make something the deer don't like taste or smell of and you could spread that around her flowers...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It's a good thing she actually was able to drive the car any distance with oil coming out like that. Good thing it didn't reach empty before she got to you. I'd recommend that she try to get her money back from the botched oil pan gasket job....

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You think they'd make something the deer don't like taste or smell of and you could spread that around her flowers...
They do, and my wife uses Deer and Rabbit Liquid Repellent but I'm kinda thinking its not really working, although they have stopped eating some of the plants next to the house.

I have an archery bow and used to teach Hunter Safety for the State of Maine but haven't shot one in years due to tearing a tendon. I may have to take it up again.

It's a good thing she actually was able to drive the car any distance with oil coming out like that. Good thing it didn't reach empty before she got to you. I'd recommend that she try to get her money back from the botched oil pan gasket job....
I agree but it was something they did in conjunction with a bunch of other things. I'm sure they'll hear about it. I'm also surprised that's all she lost for oil, any more and I think it would have done a lot of damage.