Yellow New Beetle - Restoration back to Life

SEABEECM1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BEETLE
Quick question Cory , on the egr delete kit the hose that is offered in the kit does yours lay against the brake master cylinder?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it does rest against the top of the brake fluid reservoir slightly. I've got over 60k miles on my Jetta Wagon with that set up and the hose doesn't have any wear on that point so it doesn't concern me.

cevans

TDI
RC2 tune is back in along with a new exhaust: 2", no CAT, Magnaflow straight through muffler.

It sounds fantastic! Inside the car is identical to how it was, but outside the car there is a much nicer whistle. No droning, no booming, very tame but still a bit of fun. Its really perfect so I'm going to replicate the system on the '00 Golf.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
cevans;3703868...Magnaflow straight through muffler...It sounds fantastic![/QUOTE said:
I don't know which magnaflow muffler you used, but the one I installed is great! It quieted the exhaust enough that I can hear tire noise next to me...no real echo off adjacent walls, and plenty of airflow.

Sometimes, it might sound like an import fart-pipe, but I get over that when I leave cars in the dust. :D

In my case, I have a Malone stage II tune.

Tony

SpencerJ

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Its a year 2000. I didn't know about the strut tower design thing, though it seems obvious now.

FlashT has it right - many people try to jack up or lift the car with the rounded lower rocker panels, which results in a REALLY ugly crease.

This example of a poor newbeetle.org member is actually one of the better ones. It can look like someone tried to bend the Beetle in half.

Regarding the radio - the Jetta Wagon has a double-din and steering wheel controls. Its REALLY rare to have the wheel controls work with an aftermarket radio, so I've stuck with OEM radios (actually got a nice Delta V unit from Europe). So I'm itching to go aftermarket with the Beetle, though then I'll lose the dash curve. Decisions...

Oh, and re-debadging: just got a nice Blue & White front badge delivered by the dealer, that will go on tomorrow morning most likely. (only time there is daylight when I'm home)
HA! I've met this guy in person! He gave me a partial undertray for freebes.

SpencerJ

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
great thread, man! I'm wanting to do some improvements on my beetle. My wife is driving it as a commuter now and I think the two of them deserve it!

cevans

TDI
So, Chapter two began yesterday. With the help of members GarrettSR5 & btcost we pulled the nose of the yellow beetle.

Tasks before the nose goes back on are:
IDParts Timing Belt Kit (standard, not high mileage)
Sachs "Quiet" Clutch w/ SMF conversion
New Bosch Alternator
New Bosch Starter (discovered a NAPA one in the car! yuck)
New Cooling Fans & Fan Control Module
HID lights
Lots and lots of gaskets and seals, especially the oil cooler gaskets
Lots and lots of new bolts - the ones we removed were pretty corroded!

Also picked up a set of Shine springs - they need paint but I think I'm going to throw them in too. Anyone have a beetle with Shine installed??

98BeetleTDI

TDI
1998 Volkswagen Beetle
It's looking good so far cevans. I have been working some stuff out with my car as well. I need to replace the seats in my car bad. One of the seats has lost a hinge and leans when I haven't secured it properly. I have been having trouble finding seats for the car that don't completely break the bank. The dealership is definitely no help in that department.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hrmm... customer just dropped a dead silver NB off here, could probably be had cheap (they fried the clutch.. completely, car won't even move any more). He about choked at the price of a new clutch, which isn't all THAT expensive. Car is pretty rough though. I've saved it from the dealer once already (engine fell out).

I don't need another project though. :(

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Hrmm... customer just dropped a dead silver NB off here, could probably be had cheap (they fried the clutch.. completely, car won't even move any more). He about choked at the price of a new clutch, which isn't all THAT expensive. Car is pretty rough though. I've saved it from the dealer once already (engine fell out).

I don't need another project though. :(
How cheap is cheap????? I am looking for a little project car when I get back, assuming its a diesel

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
How cheap is cheap????? I am looking for a little project car when I get back, assuming its a diesel
Yep. ALH. It is a '99 though, which has a few little goofy bits. I have a source for a 2000 shifter assembly though!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Well if he hangs onto it for another month, I may be interested. I will have returned from Italy by then.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Anything new/progress? I'm especially curious about the details of your planned HID upgrade.

cevans

TDI
As I took things apart and cleaned I noticed some areas of rust started in the engine bay. I've sanded down the rust and bubbled paint and used POR 15 on all those areas.

As for the lights - I'm struggling with how I want to wire them. I *want* to hardwire them - use the OE harness directly to the headlights. But I can make a conversion harness instead in case I ever want to take them out.

VillageIdiott

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI; 1999.5 Jetta GL TDI
Keep the posts coming please... I am very interested in this little project of yours.

Could you provide a few more up-to-date photos?

Thanks!

cevans

TDI
So finally had a weekend to finish this up! Back on the road, needs a good wash which I'll do tonight. I also forgot one of the intercooler hose clamps, which resulted in the hose popping off during my test drive!

HIDs are fantastic but once I turn the high beams on I can't get them to turn off. Apparently this is common and I need to add a resistor to the circuit. Kind of a pain now that everything is all back together.

Also added this:

The upper radiator hose on my beetle had a plastic fitting junction mid-hose that had a hole for a temp sensor. The thing is that in 2000 they stopped using that temp sensor and switched to the Green, 4-pin designs on the back of the head. So, there was just a plug in its place.

The 42-draft unit replaced the plastic fitting perfectly and allows me to use a standard temp sender. It looks cooler outside of the car than installed, since the thing is mainly covered by the coolant hoses...but I know its there :)

The coolant temp sensor gauge will be joined with Boost and EGT in a 3-gauge panel at the center of the dashboard.

cevans

TDI
The yellow monster is back!

Fought boost leaks all day long. Important EXPERT TIP - boost hoses don't work so good if you don't put the clamps back on! Finally, though, I have clamped every hose properly.

Purring like a kitten with a new belt and correct timing, great power and the replacement clutch is fantastic compared to the worn OE (which would be expected). Put on a set of 15" Avus rims (from an '03 Jetta), and I think they match the New Beetle "look" perfectly, with the bonus of being lighter and (IMHO) better riding.

Drove it to get coffee this afternoon:

On the way home the coolant light starting flashing - I thought I had gotten all the air bubbles out of the system...apparently not. I was only 30 seconds from home so I coasted to the driveway and found the coolant tank nearly empty. 1/2 liter of coolant added, and problem solved!

I really love how New Beetles handle. I've got a 2-door Golf and a Jetta Wagon in the fleet, both have Konis and upgraded springs, the wagon has a Rear Bar, but this Beetle (with BUSTED OE shocks) just mops the floor with them. Its incredible how easily you can toss this thing into a corner, and even at higher speeds the front end doesn't push (understeer) nearly as much as the other two.

Up Next:
1) complete connections to 3-gauge pod in dashboard - boost, EGT and coolant temp
2) Recharge A/C system!
3) Replace crappy New Beetle steering wheel with GTI three-spoke

After that - new Bilstein TC shocks in every corner, new front springs.

Maybe Later - new speakers! These things suck!

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Up Next:
1) complete connections to 3-gauge pod in dashboard - boost, EGT and coolant temp
2) Recharge A/C system!
3) Replace crappy New Beetle steering wheel with GTI three-spoke
When you get to #3, let me know how you get that damn steering wheel off; I can pop the wheel off either of our Golfs in about 5 minutes, but I've spent a collective two-plus hours prying at the spring in the back of the NB steering wheel to no avail. :mad:

cevans

TDI
When you get to #3, let me know how you get that damn steering wheel off; I can pop the wheel off either of our Golfs in about 5 minutes, but I've spent a collective two-plus hours prying at the spring in the back of the NB steering wheel to no avail. :mad:
You aren't kidding!

I started with #3 on Friday before my weekend road trip....and, yes, after about an hour of trying I gave up! Jettas & Golfs are easy, I can't get this one to unclip!

The 3-gauge pod is done and wired in. Boost and coolant temp work, but EGT is a no-go currently. Need to investigate if the gauge or probe (or my wiring) is bunk.

Drove the car almost 1,000 miles over last week and weekend. Running great still, starts great and drives at 90 MPH smoothly and easily.

However, the A/C still doesn't work! I had the A/C charged by a TDI guru. Car took the charge, but when I turned it on it worked GREAT for about 2 min before the high pressure switch cracked and let out all the high pressure freon. Put a new switch in and now the compressor doesn't turn on. It is odd - I guess that, coincidentally, the FCM failed? I've got a spare to swap in to check. Frustrating, especially since this week is supposed to be HOT.

It REALLY needs new speakers...

oilhammer

TDI
Check the line from the compressor to the condenser... On a lot of early NBs that line gets kinked down low and causes all sorts of strangeness.

cevans

TDI
Pics of your 3-guage pod install, please
Will do!

The car was "borrowed" by a family member. Everyone makes fun of you, but at the end of the day everyone wants to drive it!

cevans

TDI
Final update: after just over 2 years of ownership, the Yellow Beetle has found a new home in New Jersey.

Just before selling her, I put in a Complete Suspension Set with Stock Springs and Bilstein TCs and it was a fantastic riding car.

After looking at the Odometer, I only drove the Beetle for 5,000 miles over the past 24 months. I certainly got more than 5,000 miles of enjoyment driving it, though.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Awesome. I hope the new owner chimes in here to continue the story of this car.

cevans

TDI
She Has Returned!!

She has returned!! Though not for good :-(

Family is visiting and brought the car up. Here she is back where she belongs in the garage.

Apparently it was making a "clunking noise"...WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY BABY!?

Drove it around, noise was coming from the passenger side. I had a gut feeling I knew what it was...

Find #1 - Bulge in Tire

Find #1 convinced me my theory was right. This poor yellow Beetle hit a pothole, HARD. The result:

The front control arm bolt was loose. It was loose because the captive nut that holds it inside the subframe had broken. When I got the car a few years back the subframe was fairly rusty, so I'm not surprised this happened when there was a big enough impact to blister a tire.

So, tomorrow, I'll put this cute little thing on the lift, drill an access hole and tack weld a new nut in place.

cevans

TDI
Also, tomorrow, this thing needs a wash like WHOA. Picked up a new pressure washer a few weeks back, I'll put it to good use :)