Yellow New Beetle - Restoration back to Life

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I've always liked the New Beetle. Its not very utilitarian, thats for sure. Its styling, right now, is a bit dated and as it sold it became the quintessential "chick car". But I liked it anyway, and I think there are some serious benefite to the New Beetle.
  • OEM Best Handling of the MkIV Chassis - maybe this is just my perception, but New Beetles even with 200,000 miles on the OEM suspension still handle surprisingly well. Maybe its the F/R balance, or lighter weight than its cousins.
  • Great Room in Front Seats
  • Great Visitiblity and Sense of Knowing where the car is
  • Inexpensive - In the world of TDIs the New Beetle is currently fetching the lowest prices of the MkIV generation
So I picked up a Yellow One - always wanted a yellow car, for whatever reason. Its a bit tired - interior is a mess, seats are bust. But what sold me is that the rocker panels AREN'T CRUSHED and its rust free.
So this will be a resurrection project. Bringing an abused TDI back to a very nice car. It will be fun, I already love the thing.
List of things that must be done:
  • Timing Belt - Full Kit (from IDParts.com of course)
  • Intake Manifold Cleaning
  • 2 New ABS Sensors
  • New Brake Fluid Level Sensor in Reservoir
  • Alignment
List of other stuff I'd like to do:
  • Interior Detail/Cleaning
  • New Seats
  • New Headlights (HIDs?)
  • New Radio Head Unit (tape deck? really?)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Nice project car. What year is it? You can get a cd changer for it that's controlled by the head unit. That's what I did for mine. Mine mounts in the trunk, but the newer ones mounted under the center armrest in front. Personally, I like my Beetle and plan on having it for a long time. :D:D:D

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Congrats on the new ride. I love seeing neglected old cars restored to their former glory. Looks like yours got an elegant debadging as well. Yikes.

Can you tell me what this means, "rocker panels AREN'T CRUSHED"? Is this a Beetle thing?

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
Great project Corey and good luck!

Personally, one of the reasons that I think the NB handles better than the rest is the fact that the strut towers are recessed into the firewall, which makes the front end feel a bit tighter in the bends. The NB also manages to keep the majority of its mass low and centered between the axles.

KITEWAGON: The rocker panels are actually lower than the floor pan and can sometimes be crushed by a jack when lifting the car. I had this happen to mine on the passenger side a couple years ago when I was rushing through a tire rotation.

cevans

TDI
Its a year 2000. I didn't know about the strut tower design thing, though it seems obvious now.

FlashT has it right - many people try to jack up or lift the car with the rounded lower rocker panels, which results in a REALLY ugly crease.

This example of a poor newbeetle.org member is actually one of the better ones. It can look like someone tried to bend the Beetle in half.

Regarding the radio - the Jetta Wagon has a double-din and steering wheel controls. Its REALLY rare to have the wheel controls work with an aftermarket radio, so I've stuck with OEM radios (actually got a nice Delta V unit from Europe). So I'm itching to go aftermarket with the Beetle, though then I'll lose the dash curve. Decisions...

Oh, and re-debadging: just got a nice Blue & White front badge delivered by the dealer, that will go on tomorrow morning most likely. (only time there is daylight when I'm home)

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Ahhh, I see. I crunched the crease under the rocker panel on my wagon earlier this year. I thought that I was on the reinforced section for the jack, but I had just missed it. Thankfully it only bent the crease before I noticed and didn't damage the rocker panel.

You are lucky to have steering wheel controls on a MIV wagon. I don't feel like that is very common. Mine is a GLS with monsoon but no steering controls.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
I ended up doing a 2" lift on my beetle with Koni STRET shocks and struts. It rides nice, but I think I should get stiffer springs as the rear end gets a little bumpy. The Beetle is a chick car, but its a diesel so it retains some of its manliness.

cevans

TDI
Thats what I tell myself too - its diesel, that makes it okay that I love the stupid thing...

Today was a busy day - after finishing my Saturday morning shift at IDParts I got started on the Beetle.

First was a quick wash, things look much better but it needs to be professionally detailed & claybar-ed.

But the interior was much more interesting - the previous owner NEVER cleaned the inside of this car. And I think he was in the tree hauling business because there was a solid inch of pine needles throughout the interior! Thats in addition to a FULL trash bag of stuff - cups, gloves, scarves, receipts...a decade of crap!

I've got a replacement black leather w/ yellow insert interior from a 2004 Beetle Turbo S. That can go in tomorrow, but for now its clean, shiney and completely seat-free. Anyone want to go for a spin? Lots of room!

Last edited:

cevans

TDI
Interior Cleaning is done and new seats are in!

cevans

TDI
So, now that I'm at least willing to sit inside the car I'm going to try and get the mechanical stuff done this week.

The brake light is flashing and beeping, which, I've read may be due to the fact that two ABS sensors are shot. I'll put two new ones in and see what happens. I tried a new brake sensor float but that didn't help. The brake fluid is also a really nice shade of swap, so that'll get flushed too.

For the engine I'm going to do an intake clean, and get an EGR Cooler Delete Kit to remove the EGR & EGR cooler and reassemble with a race pipe & EGT probe. I hope to get the brakes and intake stuff done this week before family arrives. Perhaps next week I'll send the ECU to Jeff for RC2.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
OK COry we need the Yellow bug at the Ho5G lift..... I think it needs some time here!!!

Nice find. Keep at it Cory.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
How did you take the seats out? I did to do that to get all the dog hair out. Also, what other colors did the Turbo S seats come in? Were they pricey?

cevans

TDI
Its a bit much yellow-wise, I must admit.

It seems that people "notice" you more in a bright yellow bug. I also notice that there aren't too many Beetles around anymore. They used to be everywhere. I think the fact that they are more rare now-a-days makes them more likable.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
FYI, Those seats are from a DYCC (Double Yellow Color Concept) newbeetle. not a Turbo S. Thru turbo S seats were the same dstyle, but only available in Grey inserts, not yellow. either way, nice project. Keep it up.

now yo uneed to find yourself a good clean set of the Color concept wheels and inserts to match the interior. they are 17s, and the inserts are removeable/replaceable. and by now likely have TONS of brake dust on them if coming from a used car.

Last edited:

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Great looking bug. Love the color concept seats, such a nice touch! :) Glad you are going to restore it to it's former glory!

Could always just paint the door cards and other various parts like I did. ;) Yes, it is a sickness.... haha

cevans

TDI
Color me misinformed (get it?), I guess I have DYCC seats! I'd love to find a set of the Take 5 rims and get the yellow inserts. Anyone got a set?

I think having a blinding yellow interior would keep me from seeing the road - that may be a good antidote to "the sickness".

cevans

TDI
ok I just have to ask - What is the tube where the vase goes?
iPhone mount - 71-cent piece of tube that fits perfectly in the vase holder and keeps the iPhone in a really nice spot away from the vents and clear to see for GPS navigation.

Funny story - since I bought the Beetle and parked it in the front of the house I've noticed that people have started to honk more driving by the house. At first I thought they were people I knew but didn't recognize....then I started to get suspicious because I don't know THAT many people...then I realized that a bright yellow Beetle sits in my driveway...so I sit here continuing to listen to the passing horns drive by.

Punch buggy anyone?

cevans

TDI
So this weekend was a fun one. Lots of "discoveries"...

The mechanic I bought the car from said the car was having a boost pressure issue but he couldn't figure it out. I'm no "mechanic" but I wonder if this had anything to do with it:

cevans

TDI
On the topic of air flow and boost - the EGR valve was in fairly good shape considering the mileage (160k):

A cooler delete kit was put in along with this puppy.

cevans

TDI
Car is back on the road. The rear wheel, hub and splash shield needing some tending to.

This is a comparison shot of what came off the car versus what these disk splash shields look like new.

Rebuilt hub, bearing & shield - much nicer looking.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Glad to read that you got those seats. They were a good deal. Keep up the good work.

cevans

TDI
ECU is out at at Rocketchip for RC2 treatment. Taking it out was easy since I only needed to defeat one zip tie. ???

Currently driving it with an RC3+ 21psi tune. Clutch doesn't like that. I was pulling out of a rotary/roundabout and wondering why I wasn't accelerating. Tach was going up though!

I'm torn between doing a LUK DMF kit or a SBC Stage 2 daily. I've got an OEM LUK at home that I want to put in the '00 Golf. Wagon has a SBC Stage 2 Endurance which I love but is more clutch than the Beetle will need.