TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Car in question is a 2003 VW golf.

Recent maintenance includes

new turbo
rebuilt head
clean intake manifold and egr cooler etc
timing belt and all components.

Before I did the maintenance, i did not have the code. Afterwards I do.

While driving today I realized today that my inspection ran out in August:rolleyes:

I live in NY so I have emissions which includes no CEL. (P0401)

I've been searching for answers and everything leads me to clogged this and that, vacuum lines, or EGR valve being faulty etc.

Went out tonight to check out the vacuum lines Visually nothing is bad, I started the car and hooked up my mitivac to the line that plugs into the EGR valve, it held 20 in.

I removed the intake hose to see inside the EGR, hooked up my mitivac to the egr nipple, squeezed the trigger and the EGR holds no vacuum to open it.

Am I doing something wrong, or do you think the EGR is bad?

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Hooked up to the vagcom and at idle my SPECIFIED is 255 mg/str ACTUAL is fluctuating between 475 and 505 mg/str

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
n18 reading 84.5 % at 2500 rpm

n18 at idle (903 rpm) reading 84.5% as well.

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
You know what your problem is. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Replace EGR. The dead give away that you cannot actuate it with the vacuum pump. 84.5% is a default when the EGR dies.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Figures! stupid thing. The only two components on the engine that I didn't touch (egr and Valve Cover) are both bad. Grr

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i had the same code on my 2002 Golf - came back every few months. I just erased it. Maybe try that 1st?

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
the CEL went away while I was in the measuring blocks? I got into the DTC's and erased the code completely. Im sure it will come back, I have erased it numerous times in the past but next time I start the car, within a minute it pops back up.

Im hoping that NY will allow a code or two for Diesels, I've heard that is the case, but I am not positive.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
welp egr adaptation didn't help.

Unless I need to delete the code after I set the value?

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine showed 4.5% on the adaptation screen with it turned down but I already had it turned down.

How is changing anything with the vag com gonna make that diaphragm in the egr react to any vacuum if it is busted and not actuating by a hand held vacuum pump? ;)

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to add that I could not even open my egr with a hand pump. Now when I have tested my egr that I know is good it will not hold vacuum but I have to pump it a few times and it will come up and if I keep my hand squeezed it does stay up but not if I release my hand. Which is yours doing?

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I was hoping that changing the value would do something to the computer and somewhat bypass the CEL. Temporarily at least. I am going to get it tuned out but dont have the 250 right now

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
If the EGR valve can't hold vacuum when you manually apply vacuum you have a mechanical hardware fault. Like a torn diaphragm inside the EGR. No computer value will be able to change that.
Vacuum systems are so frustrating.

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
LOL we are always hopeful! Or idiots, myself included, or just plain stubborn.

I'm having start problems with my 03 TDI too, every now and then I just have to try and start it, even though nothing mechanical has changed......... always hoping for miracles.
=)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
haha yeah, been there! Ignition switch, bad ground etc?

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
*knocks on wood* the CEL hasn't been back since. Been around 60 miles or so. GOing to put another 50-70 miles on it tonight.