Yaw Rate Sensor

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
This is new to me. Got the ESP/ASR light on dash (yellow exclamation point inside triangle with circle-arrow around it all) illuminate a couple of times and then go back out.

Codes are 04123 (lateral acceleration sensor) and 01542 (yaw rate sensor).

Symptoms were non-existent until one instance that about scared me out of my pants. As I was driving about 40 or 45 mph around a very gentle curve in left lane the ESP activated and applied braking that was pulsating (ABS?) to front-right wheel and about yanked me into the right lane. Fought through it for a second or two (if that, but felt much much longer) and it stopped. So I turned off ESP and continued drive home a mile or two.

Hooked it up to scanner with mechanic and went for a drive. All four wheels reading same speed. But oddly, at a stop idling it was showing front right wheel was moving, albeit at very low speed compared to readouts when actually moving. But it wasn't at zero like other 3 wheels.

I understand there was a break in B5/B5.5 and the two sensors were combined into a single Bosch sensor located under the center of back seat bottom. Part # 8E0 907 637A. Mechanic says sensor needs R&R, but the damn thing costs close to $1000 new. Gonna try a used part first to see if that solves the issue.

But thought I'd check in here with the B5.5 experts. Haven't seen much online about this problem, so just wondering what you fine folks might say with recommendations. These cars often have strange gremlins, so just wondering if there is somewhere else that should be checked that might not ordinarily come to mind.

Thanks.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
You'd probably have another code, not sure which one, but maybe you just need to do a steering angle calibration?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I have one of those sensors here from an 05 passat I bought just over a year ago. Bought the car just for the engine which is now in my 03 blazer, so only drove the car a few kilometers, but likely the sensor is good. It's yours for whatever it cost to mail it to you if you want it.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
Many thanks for the kind offer shakescreek. I already ordered a used one from a used part dealer a/k/a salvage yard in Alabama and it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. It was <$30 with expedited shipping, but I guess I should've checked here first. Lol.

I'll mention the steering angle calibration and look into that too.

The car seems to drive fine with the sensor disconnected, as long as you don't mind that yellow ASR light on the dash. And I assume ESP is disconnected, although not certain of it.

I know sensors can just go bad. But the wiring harness to the sensor looks fine visually and it hasn't gotten wet from spilled drinks or anything. And the part number seems to have been widely used in Audi A4 and A6 and VW Phaetons during the mid-to-late 2000s, but very little comes up in google searches about actual problems like I seem to have. So makes me just wonder if it's not an electrical gremlin or something other than the sensor.

Will keep at it and update if/when we figure it out.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
And I should mention it hasn't repeated (yet) the incident where it applied ESP and braking power to front right wheel while at cruising speed. I guess based on the names of the two sensors, the computer thought right wheel was going significantly faster than the other three and/or I was getting sideways, so applied braking to that wheel. While that would be a problematic driving situation, the false positive is also a definite safety issue.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have one of those sensors here from an 05 passat I bought just over a year ago. Bought the car just for the engine which is now in my 03 blazer, so only drove the car a few kilometers, but likely the sensor is good. It's yours for whatever it cost to mail it to you if you want it.
If you have it I would be interested in the fuel cooler.

Mark

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I'll have to check but if they came with a fuel cooler it should still be there. I assume it would be mounted under body similar to the mk 4 with auto ones? The car is sitting out in my boneyard in 3 feet of snow, so will need to take a snowmobile and shovel out there to look but will try and check in the next few days.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Thanks, no hurry. Where are you? I am about 20 miles south of Osoyoos.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm up in the northwest corner of the province on the Stikine river, about 20 miles downstream of the community of Telegraph Creek. We are about 50 miles east of the Alaskan border and about 140 miles south of the yukon border. We don't have road access to our place so somewhat remote. We leave our Blazer and Jetta parked at the end of the dirt road and use snowmobile or jetboat for the last leg home.

20 miles south of Osoyoos you must be in the Oroville Washington area?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I expect you are the TDI Club winner for remoteness. I am between Oroville and Tonasket.

Do you have electricity where you park the vehicles? My BHW started at -25c. this winter, grudgingly. How do you like that engine in the Blazer?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the bhw in the blazer. No power where we leave our vehicles parked. Also we only make the town trip about every 2 weeks, so they are well chilled when we get to them if it's been cold. Started them both in January at about -25c, but the previous several days had been in the high minus thirties so they where well chilled. Took one of those lithium boost packs up and hooked it to the blazer right off and it fired up fairly quickly but sounded a little rattly for a bit. The jetta wouldn't start with the boost pack but after a few minutes with jumper cables on it from the blazer it went.