Xman vnt15/17 Hybrid?

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
So I suspect my vnt 15 is on it's way out. I'm not looking for race car performance, but was looking at the vnt 17 stage 1 then came across that 15/17. Anyone have one? thoughts? Thanks

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Go with a straight VNT17. The exhaust is usefully larger... :)

Douglas
What about a 17/52 or 17/56 if you move up to a 17 anyways ?

Of course I have heard good things on the 2056 turbos too ....

I think the 17 series would be the easiest tho.

I am interested in this as well since I have been thinking about changing out mine for awhile now (not broken but becuause it has 472K on it now so partial PM and partial hot rodding / modding).

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The inlet size where the control ring mounts is a larger diameter than the inlet ID of a VNT-15, I have both in garage that is how I know the difference. The difference in size is just a few millimeters although I believe the outlet size going to the turbo is the same size, but I be wrong on that, I will check tomorrow if I remember to do so.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I have a gt1756 on a 2.0 PD BHW. I have only had it running for a few months and still need to send logs to the tuner to dial it in. But so far it's a good turbo.

Based on your first post
I'm not looking for race car performance
the 52 is probably a better choice. The 1756 spools significantly slower than a stock, but will make good power up high.

The nice thing about the x-man gt17XX hybrids is they are bolt-on. If you don't mind some custom fabrication, there are gtd1756vrk options that I hear spool quickly and also produce good high end power.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Boostlee, you say you are not looking to make a racecar, okay, great.
By upgrading to a 17xx turbo you will need to get a tune to get the engine to run properly, the vnt-15 is a fast spooling turbo and is quite happy with a tune up to 18PSI.
The x-man turbos mostly come with the VNT-15 outlet to eliminate fitment issues.
I have a VNT15/56 and use the stock piping; I live above 4600' elevation and I did not want to stress the turbo so my tune only goes to 24 PSI even though the turbo is capable of more.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a 52mm compressor wheel instead of the 56mm compressor wheel for faster spooling.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Boostlee, you say you are not looking to make a racecar, okay, great.
By upgrading to a 17xx turbo you will need to get a tune to get the engine to run properly, the vnt-15 is a fast spooling turbo and is quite happy with a tune up to 18PSI.
The x-man turbos mostly come with the VNT-15 outlet to eliminate fitment issues.
I have a VNT15/56 and use the stock piping; I live above 4600' elevation and I did not want to stress the turbo so my tune only goes to 24 PSI even though the turbo is capable of more.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a 52mm compressor wheel instead of the 56mm compressor wheel for faster spooling.
HI,

I'm looking to upgrade to a 17 sized turbo after awhile ....

In terms of lagginess how much "worse" is a 17 vs a 15 at part throttle and RPMs down low (say under 2K / light to moderate throttle).

I would love to somehow imagine what the difference would be like ....

(FWIW - I was mainly going bigger for ironically MPGs thinking that with a more "open" flow through the turbo part throttle restriction and efficiency should improve (of course pushing hard should definately be better with the 17 at higher revs).

Thanks

Andrew

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I recently (about four months ago) installed a GT1752v from XMan Turbos. It is a plug and play turbo that can reliably make around 26psi (or 28 depending on who you ask). I have that coupled with PP764 nozzles and a Malone tune. The increase in power is noticeably more than stock but not neck-snapping in any form. It also isn't obnoxiously rolling coal. Install was straight forward.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

I've been thinking about getting this. Would need to split the old turbo to fit this, and tune ofcourse.
Does that cartridge bolt into the stock alh vnt15 exhaust manifold? The installation video link on that page shows Austin working on a vnt 17 manifold. The video could be generic, I suppose. But the manifold bores are different sizes, the cartridge will only work on one or the other. The reason I bring that up is because it sounds like it is for the vnt15 manifold, but the video shows him doing a vnt17 manifold cartridge swap.

TDI
Audi A4 Avant AFN 81kw
It should fit, since the hot side wheel is for vnt-15, and the cold side has a vnt17 wheel with core machined to fit it.

I think the video is just describing the procedure, not a specific video for this product.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a vnt17 size, at least for the regular old gen turbos. difference in lag with a good tune will not be noticeable between 15 and 17. 1752 will have no noticeable lag above 2200rpm or so, below 2000 rpm with larger than 17 turbos will start to have a little more noticeable lag, but not much. really depends how it's tuned

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It should fit, since the hot side wheel is for vnt-15, and the cold side has a vnt17 wheel with core machined to fit it.

I think the video is just describing the procedure, not a specific video for this product.
Kind of what I was thinking

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a vnt17 size, at least for the regular old gen turbos. difference in lag with a good tune will not be noticeable between 15 and 17. 1752 will have no noticeable lag above 2200rpm or so, below 2000 rpm with larger than 17 turbos will start to have a little more noticeable lag, but not much. really depends how it's tuned
I would think that vnt15 hybrid might ok for a cartridge only upgrade. Though there is still the fact that the tune needs to be changed and the diameter of the exhaust opening in the manifold is still vnt15. Turbo is going south on my truck. I may just replace the cartridge with a spare I have, or I may put the BV43 on. If I go BV43, I will be studying your posts and may be picking your brain

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A complete CHRA with a 49mm compressor wheel for $282.00 USD is a good deal compared to sending your own out for machining at $450 plus here in The States. You gain the ability to add 6 PSI more boost that you are running now, there is a huge difference power between 18 PSI of boost, and 24PSI of boost

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A complete CHRA with a 49mm compressor wheel for $282.00 USD is a good deal compared to sending your own out for machining at $450 plus here in The States. You gain the ability to add 6 PSI more boost that you are running now, there is a huge difference power between 18 PSI of boost, and 24PSI of boost
1.5bar is stated boost. So that would be just shy of 22psi, almost 5psi more than I run now. It is a worthy inexpensive simple upgrade as long as it holds up. With the exhaust side being the same I am thinking egt's wouldn't go down. I have to watch them as it is. Maybe tuning could help with that.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If you are having EGT issues it sounds like too much fuel and/or too little boost for the fuel you have. A standard vnt17 has a safe maximum of 24psi all day long with few spikes at 26 PSI or so. The early VNT15 and VNT17 share the same shaft design and size. The difference is the compressor wheel size.