XM Module Replacement

retaf2159

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My XM radio in my 2006 Jetta started acting funny last week. At first I could receive some stations, but none above the 150s. Then all I could receive was the preview channel (001). Called XM a couple of times to send the refresh signal. Also tried to refresh from the XM web site. Neither worked. Did some research here and on VW Vortex. Also ran a Vag Com scan. Scan showed an XM radio fault and the forums all pointed to a bad module. One forum noted that this module in the link below for an Audi might work. Took the chance and ordered it last week . Received it Thursday and installed it Saturday afternoon. After a quick call to XM to add it to my account and activate it is works fine. I had to redo all of the presets but all is well. The install was fairly easy. No way to get to the screw heads, just loosen from the trunk with vise grips. Glad it worked and the replacement cost was less than $50 plus $15 to XM for the account swap. Hope this helps anyone who needs a new XM module.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Xm_Radio/ES496031/

Bob

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Thanks for that link! My XM module in my 2007 Eos is doing the same thing as yours. It has come back to life a couple of times, but now just stays on the preview channel.

Did yours say "loading" for a few minutes, then show an error message, then revert to the preview channel?

retaf2159

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
New XM Tuner

Yes. It would say loading and then go back to the preview channel. If I selected one of the presets it would change the preset to 001. The replacement has worked great so far. But I has only been a couple of days. I thought I might order an additional tuner as it seems the service life for these things is 4-5 years. Mine worked for a little over 5 years.

Bob

hiboost745

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI SportWagen
The unit from ecs tuning is part number 4e0057593a and my 06 October build has part number 3e0057593a . The outside plug style is rectangular instead of the double oval looking in their picture. Did you have the same style or did you change the plug out? Hope i am not sol or can maybe make a plug change out?

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
Uugh

Well back in late December I cancelled my stand-alone XM SkyFi II and put the VW one is as the only one on my account. Which currently is a 3-yr sub due to expire 3/1/11.

So now I have the conundrum of do I just let go of XM all together or do I order that module from ECS and re-up?

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if my model of XM unit, which is also different, matters. I have the markings 8E0 035 593 E and the picture at ECS Tuning is 4E0 035 593 E... looks the same otherwise though.

Here is what a search on ECS leads to "supersceded by": http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8e0035593e/ES435860/

I'm not paying $500 for it.. that's for sure.. $37 maybe..

Also, anyone get a BlitzSafe AUX instead? How does it work?

Thanks for the input.

Fred

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Look on VWVortex classifieds as well as the classifieds here. They occasionally pop up in the $100 range. I think I sold mine for about $80 not that long ago. Look for units with firmware above revision 0060, I think the next revision was 0080, an supposedly cured a lot of woes in regard to randomly crapping out.

retaf2159

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My 2006 is a Sep 2005 build. No problem with connectors everything went to gether just fine an the unit is still working OK.

Bob