WVO carnage

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well I'm at it once again, working on the 03 NB that was ran on WVO.

The shaft seal had failed on the injection pump and leaked down the timing cover. I have the block side timing cover off and I'm trying to clean up all the coagulated sticky crud off, but not having much luck. Has anyone had some sort of solution for cleaning this stuff?

I did have to change the entire engine assembly, but I'm moving external parts over from the old engine such as the timing cover and the mega bracket. They're both covered in this stuff.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Fire :) Kill it with fire. That stuff is probably about as tenacious as Cosmoline? Heat gun, mineral spirits, Hot soapy water/Brass brush?
EDIT: or just leave it and consider the metal to be protected heh

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's on the inside of the timing cover, I'm worried about it fouling the belt when I install a new one. So far soaking in hot water with zep is helping and scrubbing with a plastic brush.

Just to clarify its the plastic covers, not the block itself. This car is getting a new to it block.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
At Dollar Tree they sell something called "Awesome". It's a very effective de-greaser, safe for pretty much anything but grease, and super cheap. Made my used intake shiny inside.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nemo, is the car actually worth saving at this point in time?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
ZEP floor stripper works awesome! just used it to clean the chicken skin from the inside of a 20 gallon veg oil tank and it's sending unit, it was an extreme case of baked on polymerized oil ... i used about a four to one ratio and soaked the tank, one side at a time and both ends, the skin mostly dissolved and what didn't scraped off easily ... it's also low on the caustic scale so it won't peel your skin off or dissolve aluminum

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nemo, is the car actually worth saving at this point in time?
It's not my car, friend of mine is paying me to fix it. I personally don't think it is. He did have a brand new 11mm pump installed and some dlc520 nozzles put on it.

The car was running, he already deleted all the WVO stuff and scrubbed the tank, had about 5k miles after the delete. He was complaining of losing 1qt every 500 miles. Tore it apart and found the oil control rings stuck in all four pistons and valve seals bad. Due to that, it started carbon packing and scratched the hone marks on the old block. So it was just easier for me to use this spare block and head here.

Oh and he had a cracked air box, so his turbo compressor wheel was sand blasted pretty bad.

Getting tired of this project, but it's what friends are for I suppose.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
ZEP sounds like a good plan. Otherwise, considering it’s a plastic cover I’d be inclined to buy a new one over risking life or limb trying to clean plastic with something that might melt your skin or make you blind or ill.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ZEP floor stripper works awesome! just used it to clean the chicken skin from the inside of a 20 gallon veg oil tank and it's sending unit, it was an extreme case of baked on polymerized oil ... i used about a four to one ratio and soaked the tank, one side at a time and both ends, the skin mostly dissolved and what didn't scraped off easily ... it's also low on the caustic scale so it won't peel your skin off or dissolve aluminum
So far the Zep is working enough. There's lots of residue in the mesh portion of the plastic still, but doesn't look like it'll affect the timing belt anymore.

As for the zep not hurting aluminum, the 505 solution can break down the aluminum coating on intakes if it's too strong. Another friend of mine was cleaning his in a 5 gal bucket and it pock marked the whole thing. Was kind of an interesting sight.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Rust-Oleum aircraft stripper, comes in a car and shouldn't hurt plastic

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, zep got most of it, but still have more to go, I'll give a few of these a try, timing cover isn't the only thing thsts nasty.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ended up using zep, then easy off afterwards, and I'd say it got about 99% of the crud off, I'm definitely not worried about the timing belt getting fouled out now.

Eventually I'll have to clean the old block up.... It can be repaired by a hone. Swapping blocks was the easier option because the pistons are still soaking for cleaning....