WVO and car not starting?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I was planning to get a 2000 vw jetta alh that is running on WVO. Owner says it doesnt start and has only 200k on it. do you think the wvo messed up the ip and injectors? I was thinking of converting it back to diesel since I've been reading some horror stories on wvo

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I wouldn't touch a non-running converted car. Way too many potential issues that would be more noticable if it were running. It would have to be priced as though you were going to replace the long block completely. In other words it would have to practically free, and you're enough of a wrench that replacing the long block doesn't make you blink.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
It is certainly possible that the WVO caused a problem, but there are so many other possibilities too. As atc9800 says, don’t buy it unless it is really cheap. You need to do some investigating if you want that car.

That said, if you are planning on not running WVO, I would not buy a converted car.

Are there any more details available about it not starting? Does it not turn over, are there codes, has he had it diagnosed, is there a service history?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
It is certainly possible that the WVO caused a problem, but there are so many other possibilities too. As atc9800 says, don’t buy it unless it is really cheap. You need to do some investigating if you want that car.

That said, if you are planning on not running WVO, I would not buy a converted car.

Are there any more details available about it not starting? Does it not turn over, are there codes, has he had it diagnosed, is there a service history?
all he told me was that it was running before it had starting issues. he says it runs but would need to be towed. I think there is more to it than the starting issue.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I think you are right. If you are still interested, and if the price is fair, and if it is a manual transmission, you might be able to push start it. If it really runs well, but just has a starting issue (starter, solenoid, relay, battery, etc) you might be able to assess it that way. One of those starting issues could be relatively easy and cheap to solve.