WTB or Trade: Your TDI My Classic VW EV

Flyover

TDI
None Yet
I have a 1971 VW Super Beetle that I have fully restored and I converted it to and Electric Vehicle. It will go 55 mph and has a range of 18 miles before it needs to be recharged. This car is a head turner with its brand new professional paint job done in 2009 Dodge Truck Blue. I have had the windows and gasket professionally replaced when it was painted. I have also replaced the running boards, all new chrome trim, radio, speakers, and bumpers. If you are looking for a unique VW that is more economical than a TDI than contact me for more information. I am commuting 120 Miles each way to work about twice a week and I feel the TDI is the proper VW for this mission. My wife just bought a new SUV and wants my Classic VW out of the garage. My old Honda with over 200K miles just died so I need a TDI. I'm in Southwest Michigan. My VW would have to be shipped unless you live within 18 miles of me or have a very long extension chord.

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Flyover said:
I have a 1971 VW Super Beetle that I have fully restored and I converted it to and Electric Vehicle. It will go 55 mph and has a range of 18 miles before it needs to be recharged. This car is a head turner with its brand new professional paint job done in 2009 Dodge Truck Blue. I have had the windows and gasket professionally replaced when it was painted. I have also replaced the running boards, all new chrome trim, radio, speakers, and bumpers. If you are looking for a unique VW that is more economical than a TDI than contact me for more information. I am commuting 120 Miles each way to work about twice a week and I feel the TDI is the proper VW for this mission. My wife just bought a new SUV and wants my Classic VW out of the garage. My old Honda with over 200K miles just died so I need a TDI. I'm in Southwest Michigan. My VW would have to be shipped unless you live within 18 miles of me or have a very long extension chord.
I pray there is some humor here. 18 miles?

Pics available?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
18 mile range? Might as well just ride a bike. I would say that you are going to be hard pressed to get someone to trade their car with a 700 mile range for a car with an 18 mile range.

Of course you could just put a diesel generator in the passenger seat. :cool:

Flyover

TDI
None Yet
TDICADDGUY said:
18 mile range? Might as well just ride a bike. I would say that you are going to be hard pressed to get someone to trade their car with a 700 mile range for a car with an 18 mile range.

Of course you could just put a diesel generator in the passenger seat. :cool:
Look TDI guys. If you rip out your TDI engine and install batteries and an electric drive you will get the same range, actually probably less. The Electric Vehicle revolution is about batteries and I can't afford $14,000 dollars for LIFEPO4 batteries and a BMS to get more range(120 miles). This car is designed to be driven short distances like to the store or work and back. If you don't like the idea fine but don't knock it because it beats buying your precious diesel to go a short distance. If you don't like it fine but don't knock my VW EV. It is unique and it is not your mighty TDI. Do some research on EV sites before flaming me and my car.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
My post was not intended as a flame against you or your car...I just think you'd be better off trying to sell it on some EV sites and then use your cash to buy a TDI. You're not likely to get a trade here.

I think it is a cool and interesting project, its just not going to replace someone's daily driver who puts on 30,000+ miles a year as most TDI owners do. This fact is evidenced by your own situation with your long commute. Not many people here only drive 18 miles a day...if they did they probably wouldn't own a TDI. Currently I am driving 35 miles one way to work (used to do double that), I won't get far with your EV.

Good luck to you, I hope you'll be able to find a TDI that suits you and that you will enjoy it as much as we all do. Cheers. :)

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
ok perhaps an older mark 1/2 diesel but not a tdi as a trade... being fair.

Last edited:

Flyover

TDI
None Yet
You are right, I am wrong. You are smart, I am stupid. You are good looking, I am not.

I am not comparing my converted VW EV to your awesome TDI. Why do you think I am here? I am looking for an awesome TDI as my commute to work is 120 miles one way. I thought someone here might be interested in a unique classic VW to have in the garage and to take to EV and car shows.

I will sell my EV and I have already had a few offers for it. I am just in the market for a TDI and don't expect a fair trade. I did not destroy a classic at is easily converted back.

I'm now sorry that I even came to this board as I thought it had some good information and some fellow cool VW people here but maybe I was wrong about the later.

I'm not sure where you are getting your data about lubrication for my EV but it is wrong, so keep researching. There is one thing you did not bring up. What will Diesel cost in 7.6 years? You did not bring that up and did not include that for some reason. Why? It takes me 4 hours to fully charge my EV and costs 5.6 cents to charge my EV. Just run the numbers. It also has an on board charging system that can be hooked up to a solar panel, but I won't count this because you have a TDI.

Again You are Smart and I am Stupid. You buy Diesel and I don't. You can go 800 miles in one tank and I don't have a tank.

Last Thing; You are right because I am in the market to buy a TDI. Give me a break already. I am a new to this board an you guys are already slamming me. Maybe I'll buy a 2011 Ford Fiesta instead of a TDI and start a Fiesta Forums. Thanks for being yourself, A Dick.

P.S. I like to tinker with VW's and thought this was a fun project.

kcfoxie said:
Dude, let me spell it out for you: my Jeep goes farther *in town* than that car does and it hauls a hell of a lot more too.

You might find someone with a TDI that needs a camshaft, front end rebuild, or an automatic that might be interested. You technically have destroyed a collectors car, you must realize. So the collectors value isn't there, and it isn't very functional.

You came to a site where we get our jollies by extracting 700 to 900 per tank as often as possible. My heavy body Jetta is going to be cheaper to maintain over 50,000 miles than your conversion -- and I'd be more than happy to disclose all my records to you if you keep totally accurate logs on your travels over the next 7.6 years it would take you to drive 18 miles every day to reach what I achieved in just 16 months.

I have to agree... I drive right at 18 miles to work and I have a rather short commute to my work compared to others. Even if it could charge fully in 8 hours (I'm there for 10-12 usually) it's not saving me anything. Still needs gear oil, has other lubricated parts in the drive system to maintain and will need tires. How does that handle 12F weather? I bet it only gets 8 to 10 miles when its that cold out ... thats based on what local EV owners (Factory Electric Leopard which I venture is going to be basically the same electric getup you've fabricated into the Beetle here) are telling me.

Sorry, no, try this on an EV enthusiast site. I don't think anywhere here has a car that is broken enough to even be considered a fair trade for your vehicle. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being honest.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Flyover said:
You are right, I am wrong. You are smart, I am stupid. You are good looking, I am not.

I am not comparing my converted VW EV to your awesome TDI. Why do you think I am here? I am looking for an awesome TDI as my commute to work is 120 miles one way. I thought someone here might be interested in a unique classic VW to have in the garage and to take to EV and car shows.

I will sell my EV and I have already had a few offers for it. I am just in the market for a TDI and don't expect a fair trade. I did not destroy a classic at is easily converted back.

I'm now sorry that I even came to this board as I thought it had some good information and some fellow cool VW people here but maybe I was wrong about the later.

I'm not sure where you are getting your data about lubrication for my EV but it is wrong, so keep researching. There is one thing you did not bring up. What will Diesel cost in 7.6 years? You did not bring that up and did not include that for some reason. Why? It takes me 4 hours to fully charge my EV and costs 5.6 cents to charge my EV. Just run the numbers. It also has an on board charging system that can be hooked up to a solar panel, but I won't count this because you have a TDI.

Again You are Smart and I am Stupid. You buy Diesel and I don't. You can go 800 miles in one tank and I don't have a tank.

Last Thing; You are right because I am in the market to buy a TDI. Give me a break already. I am a new to this board an you guys are already slamming me. Maybe I'll buy a 2011 Ford Fiesta instead of a TDI and start a Fiesta Forums. Thanks for being yourself, A Dick.

P.S. I like to tinker with VW's and thought this was a fun project.
You need Midol.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Flyover said:
I like to tinker with VW's and thought this was a fun project.
I think it's a cool project and could be a good fit for the right person.

I'm not familiar with EV but would the range be extended if you drove lower speeds or did mostly in-town driving?

Flyover said:
It takes me 4 hours to fully charge my EV and costs 5.6 cents to charge my EV. Just run the numbers.
Can you just share your calculations? Again, I'm not well versed in the costs associated with EV. thanks.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
So in 3.8 years it will cost you a mere $166.44 to drive you car 50,000 miles (2 charges a day with fully depleted).

It takes me a year and 7 months to achieve the save for the cost of $3,489 ($3 a gallon for B100).

I get $2250 back on work related mileage write-offs, bringing the total I paid out of pocket to $1,239

It only cost me $1,073 to go 50,000 miles ~2.1 years sooner than you can do it.

Will you batteries hold up for 3.8 years at full depletion twice a day? And again, winter time?

Do you see why I am a tad skeptical my friend? What if my power doubles (as it has) and it's 22-cents a day to charge? I mean after all, you're not making your own power and I'm not making my own fuel (if I was making my own fuel at 1.50 a gallon the numbers look even worse for the EV).

This is the reality of EVs. Not just yours, all of them.

Now, I suppose if I could write off as many miles in a year (well, no I can't... it can't go as many) then the EV could make money every time you drive it... but even that seems sketchy. How much are your batteries, again? Since that's like your big expense in this system. 5 oil changes and 3 fuel filters = less than $400 in upkeep. I'm of course excluding brakes, drive axle fluids, cv boot failures and tires from my equations.

Last edited:

Flyover

TDI
None Yet
kcfoxie said:
So in 3.8 years it will cost you a mere $166.44 to drive you car 50,000 miles (2 charges a day with fully depleted).

It takes me a year and 7 months to achieve the save for the cost of $3,489 ($3 a gallon for B100).

I get $2250 back on work related mileage write-offs, bringing the total I paid out of pocket to $1,239

It only cost me $1,073 to go 50,000 miles ~2.1 years sooner than you can do it.

Will you batteries hold up for 3.8 years at full depletion twice a day? And again, winter time?

Do you see why I am a tad skeptical my friend? What if my power doubles (as it has) and it's 22-cents a day to charge? I mean after all, you're not making your own power and I'm not making my own fuel (if I was making my own fuel at 1.50 a gallon the numbers look even worse for the EV).

This is the reality of EVs. Not just yours, all of them.

Now, I suppose if I could write off as many miles in a year (well, no I can't... it can't go as many) then the EV could make money every time you drive it... but even that seems sketchy. How much are your batteries, again? Since that's like your big expense in this system. 5 oil changes and 3 fuel filters = less than $400 in upkeep. I'm of course excluding brakes, drive axle fluids, cv boot failures and tires from my equations.
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. These are two completely different Vehicles designed for different missions.

If you must compare for your TDI against my EV, I have a wind turbine and solar power panels on my house so I do not pay for power but when I did it was costing me only 5.6 cents to charge it. With zero net metering charging my EV is free at home.

You are right on about the batteries the lead acid will need to be replaced every few years depending on the number of cycles on the pack at 800/pack replacement. The new LIFEPPO4 batteries will come down in price(currently about 12,000./pack), they will increase range, and have a longer life plus being extremely safe.

I an not pro EV I just like working and tinkering with VW's and thought this was cool since I already had Solar and Wind on my house. I could care less if you are skeptical and you are smart to be that way. EV's do not make since for most people especially only going 18 miles and I only drive mine in the summer time. It is not my primary transportation which is why I am here looking for a TDI to replace my Honda.

I will not defend the EV any further since IT IS NOT A TDI! If you want to get into this debate then you should go to an EV site for a debate.

Again dude your car is awesome so quit it and sell me your TDI.:D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
greengeeker said:
I'm not familiar with EV but would the range be extended if you drove lower speeds or did mostly in-town driving?
What's the answer Flyover?
Too many EV have max speed and max range listed one after the other and that leads to confusion. I, too, would like to know what your maximum range has been. Is it 18 miles?
What is the distance range when driven closer to the max speed of 55 mph?

Flyover

TDI
None Yet
Lug_Nut said:
What's the answer Flyover?
Too many EV have max speed and max range listed one after the other and that leads to confusion. I, too, would like to know what your maximum range has been. Is it 18 miles?
What is the distance range when driven closer to the max speed of 55 mph?
Maximum range on my EV is 18 miles at full speed. I have not tested my EV's endurance at less speed but that would be less power drained from the battery pack and more endurance/distance. One big factor for any DC driven EV is hills. This kills my battery power more than cold air or any other factor. I live in a mostly flat area with just some smaller hills but if I lived in a different area I would have a higher Voltage DC system or an AC system. My system is 72 volts, 450amps.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
Sounds like an awesome setup Flyover. Decent top speed for a 72v lead acid system too! I was going to convert my 95 Civic to EV before I moved further from work. 18 miles would have got me to work where I could charge up and drive home. I decided not to convert it because a 95 Civic wasn't worth the $4000 or so investment to convert it. An old beetle is much cooler! I'd tell your wife to find another parking spot and keep the EV for a weekend cruiser...