WTB: ID Parts Winter Front

TDI
2014 JSW
Am aware that this is more appropriate for the classifieds section, but wanted to also reach out to the "wider audience" here as well. I'm trying to find an ID Parts Winter Front grill cover set for 2010-2014 Golf and Sportwagen. The company discontinued offering them a year or two back, but if anybody has an NOS or good used set they're willing to sell, please let me know. Thanks!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Pretty simple to make your own, depending on where you live the lower grille block is normally sufficient.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We may be getting more of these this season. We're having major supply chain issues currently (not surprising) but are still hopeful they'll appear. We don't have anything about this on our site because we're not certain enough of getting them before winter.

TDI
2014 JSW
Thanks! I did block off the grills w/ some homemade closed-cell foam inserts last winter, and they definitely made a noticeable difference in engine warmup time, cabin heating performance, and mileage.

Main issue here though (KS), is that the temperatures can often swing so wildly from week-to-week (or even day-to-day), especially in fall and spring -- i.e. imagine 85 F+ temps for couple days, then down to 20 F or lower over next few, and then back up to high temps again right after that, and so on... This requires repeated removal and replacement of some (or all) of the foam grill inserts, such that it gets to be bit of a bother.

Those grill covers you used to offer (ID Parts) look a LOT handier and easier to swap in and out, whenever necessary. So yes, please do let me know if and when they become available again -- I am DEFINITELY interested in them. Thanks again!

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
IBW, with all due respect why don't you take that page off your website, or is it all about hits that you get? When was the last time you actually stocked those winter fronts?

It was really irritating while I was looking for a winter front that your site always popped up as having them. Luckily I found a pristine 1 from a member on here. And I also realize that was my first world problem. That's almost as bad as buying a product shown to be in stock only to have it back ordered. Just be up front please with what you actually have on the shelf. Thanks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We don't take down discontinued products because many people find dead links frustrating. And links to our products are everywhere. It's not ideal, but is the lesser of two evils, in our opinion. We had some of these last year but they sold out early, and, as I posted above, hope to get more this year.

bmor89

TDI
2013 Golf
I am also eagerly checking back every couple days to see if that discontinued message changes to In Stock. My pipe insulation works alright, but truly is a pain to deal with when the temps swing. Hoping to avoid hydrolocking and rough starts with my car this winter using the pipe insulation on the lower grille.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
We don't take down discontinued products because many people find dead links frustrating. And links to our products are everywhere. It's not ideal, but is the lesser of two evils, in our opinion. We had some of these last year but they sold out early, and, as I posted above, hope to get more this year.
Anyway to let us fellow enthusiests know ahead of time if/when you'll have some back in stock? Preorders?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When we have a better idea of when they're coming we'll turn the product back on. When it's active but still out of stock you can ask the site to notify you when they arrive. I can also try to remember to post something here when we have a firm date.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I had three sets of these and only kept one. Wish I hung onto them, did not realize people would still want them.

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
We may be getting more of these this season. We're having major supply chain issues currently (not surprising) but are still hopeful they'll appear. We don't have anything about this on our site because we're not certain enough of getting them before winter.
if this turns into a group buy or something, throw me in too. Need one of these for my job. Lots of trips to the north then right back to the south. Would be nice to have such an easily removed solution

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Thanks! I did block off the grills w/ some homemade closed-cell foam inserts last winter, and they definitely made a noticeable difference in engine warmup time, cabin heating performance, and mileage.

Main issue here though (KS), is that the temperatures can often swing so wildly from week-to-week (or even day-to-day), especially in fall and spring -- i.e. imagine 85 F+ temps for couple days, then down to 20 F or lower over next few, and then back up to high temps again right after that, and so on... This requires repeated removal and replacement of some (or all) of the foam grill inserts, such that it gets to be bit of a bother.

Those grill covers you used to offer (ID Parts) look a LOT handier and easier to swap in and out, whenever necessary. So yes, please do let me know if and when they become available again -- I am DEFINITELY interested in them. Thanks again!
Just leave them in. I live in Mo and I put mine in when the overnight temps get into the 40's and take them out early/mid March regardless of temp swings. It doesn't get hot enough here in the winter to have issues with the grille being blocked. I have a scanguage and constantly monitor the coolant temps and they don't budge over 200 with the grille blocked even when temps are in the 80's. I doubt you'd really have issues until temps got well into the 90's. Worry less drive more.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
When we have a better idea of when they're coming we'll turn the product back on. When it's active but still out of stock you can ask the site to notify you when they arrive. I can also try to remember to post something here when we have a firm date.
I'm looking for one too.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I've used the foam pipe covering cut to fit in the grill. Super inexpensive and quite easy to install. Even bought 2 lengths for a total of 2.70 something! A huge difference. They even look just fine.

TDI
2014 JSW
I made some foam pieces last year to block the grille, when necessary. They fit and look ok, but still bit of a pain and time consuming to swap them in and out, especially when it’s cold / wet / dirty / etc. outside. Here are the lower ones, installed.

The ID Parts Winter Front set just looks like it would probably be a bit easier to remove or install on short notice, hence my interest...

Last edited:

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I'm working on making one from marine vinyl. Once I get my car back from vw, I'll cut it to shape and have a repeatable pattern. I'll sell some to you guys if you want. But let me get the prototype on the road first and make sure it works. I would add a picture if I could figure out how to do that on this website...

Last edited:

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I'm working on making one from marine vinyl. Once I get my car back from vw, I'll cut it to shape and have a repeatable pattern. I'll sell some to you guys if you want. But let me get the prototype on the road first and make sure it works. I would add a picture if I could figure out how to do that on this website...
Thanks for taking the innitiave, I was thinking of doing the same thing if I could find one used. I have a good friend that has an upholstery shop. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Best I could figure out for a picture was I added it to the tdiclub media library. Go to media-car pictures-jetta and you'll see it.