• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

WTB Dieselgeek Oil Bypass Filter Kit - $Name your Price$

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Looking for a Dieselgeek Oil Bypass Filter Kit for my ALH. Just looking for one in decent shape at the minimum. Name your price, ill take it!

Thanks,
Chad

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Me too. We need to ask Jim to make them for ALH and BRM, BHW, BEW too.
Lots of people would buy them i think. I've got an Amsoil one on my 04 Cummins Truck. Love it.

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
What's the point of a bypass kit on an ALH ? It's a small sump on a small engine. Are you trying to go 25K on an oil change?

jrsavoie

TDI
6 GM's and one International
What's the point of a bypass kit on an ALH ? It's a small sump on a small engine. Are you trying to go 25K on an oil change?
I ran 20,000 miles on my diesels with bypass filters. When you're putting a lot of miles on, it's a big time saver.. I put about 49,000 miles in 9 months on 1 vehicle.

They are also much better for the engines. I have Jeep CRD and the oil is just getting dark. Not black by any means. close to 10,000 miles on the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD.

I run FS2500s mostly. I like them better than the Amsoil.

What is the dieselgeek bypass kit?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I ran 20,000 miles on my diesels with bypass filters. When you're putting a lot of miles on, it's a big time saver.. I put about 49,000 miles in 9 months on 1 vehicle.

They are also much better for the engines. I have Jeep CRD and the oil is just getting dark. Not black by any means. close to 10,000 miles on the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD.

I run FS2500s mostly. I like them better than the Amsoil.

What is the dieselgeek bypass kit?

I take a different approach. I treat my fuel with combustion catalysts so when it burns there is very little soot generated.

My last 03 ALH which was Malone stage II would have 0.2 % soot at 11.2k miles on treated fuel. My other common rail diesels are even lower. They all have working EGR systems in place. I have not tested my CJAA JSW yet, but it visually appears to burn the dirtiest as a result of dieselgate tuning.

If you extrapolated out the soot value to 20K miles on an ALH with treated fuel, it would be 0.3-0.4%. Still very low.

Most common synthetic diesel oils are marginal at 15k miles in an ALH. They have lost most of their alkalinity and have started to oxidize and thicken. Unless you’re running an Amsoil CI-4+ or a signature series lube there isn’t much sense going beyond 15k or using a even using a bypass system in these cars since the sump is small.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I take a different approach. I treat my fuel with combustion catalysts so when it burns there is very little soot generated.

My last 03 ALH which was Malone stage II would have 0.2 % soot at 11.2k miles on treated fuel. My other common rail diesels are even lower. They all have working EGR systems in place. I have not tested my CJAA JSW yet, but it visually appears to burn the dirtiest as a result of dieselgate tuning.

If you extrapolated out the soot value to 20K miles on an ALH with treated fuel, it would be 0.3-0.4%. Still very low.

Most common synthetic diesel oils are marginal at 15k miles in an ALH. They have lost most of their alkalinity and have started to oxidize and thicken. Unless you’re running an Amsoil CI-4+ or a signature series lube there isn’t much sense going beyond 15k or using a even using a bypass system in these cars since the sump is small.

HI,

Just curious but what combustion catalyst do you use?

FWIW - My last oil change was at about 28K OCI and tested OK by Blackstone Lab BUT I am also thinking of a bypass filter .... seemingly not needed but I'm sure it cant' hurt...

Andrew

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
HI,

Just curious but what combustion catalyst do you use?

FWIW - My last oil change was at about 28K OCI and tested OK by Blackstone Lab BUT I am also thinking of a bypass filter .... seemingly not needed but I'm sure it cant' hurt...

Andrew
Blackstone doesn’t measure soot %. TBN with TAN is optional, which I’m sure you didn’t get either. Blackstone comments are dubious at best and you don’t have enough data points to know what condition the oil was in. Neither does blackstone. You’re also using the wrong viscosity, ALHs don’t use 5w30 which has been mentioned multiple times.

An oil can have remaining alkalinity but still be acidic as some detergents (magnesium) are selective in their reactions with combustion byproducts. This is why you need to measure TAN and TBN concurrently in order to exceed 15k miles on any low ash CJ-4 or CK-4 oil.

with all that said above, you really don’t need to exceed 15k miles as the cost of an 5 qt oil change using M1 TDT, Rotella T6, Delvac Extreme or Delvac ESP 5w40 is cheaper than paying for a comprehensive oil analysis including soot %, TAN and TBN which is probably around $50+.

The “best” oil filter for the ALH is the Bosch premium cartridge. It’s a cellulose filter however it has the highest advertised filtration efficiency of any other brand. They are available at Rockauto.com for less than $10. Add that to the cost of the oil itself and it’s $40 total including oil to just change it. If you purchase the oil using rebates, it’s even less like $25. That’s much less than a $50 oil analysis.

There are a number of catalysts available. The ingredients are secret, however most contain Ferrocene, cerium oxide and/or MMT. I use a mostly MMT based additive as the metallic constuents are organic. I know it’s MMT as there are always traces of manganese in my oil analysis results.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the UOA of my 2014 Cruze CTD. This A20DTH is the cleanest burning Diesel engine I have owned.

As you can see, the soot is less than 0.1% @ 12K miles thanks to the effect of the combustion catalysts fuel additive.The manganese is also evident from MMT.

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
I run Pentosin HP2 5w-40. The motor is brand new VW block with every stock part imaginable removed and upgraded for long term durability and small travel trailer towing. Fully built 02M 6-speed, the whole 9. The point is for piece of mind and protecting my work/investment. Plus it’s a rare piece of kit, who doesn’t want one? I have multiple items that are not made installed that are neat and sure to be valuable in 10-15 years when I upgrade for the next guy to appreciate. I treat my car like I treat my pecker!

Nothing wrong with a top side filter change @ 10k and checking fluid levels instead of an oil change while I’m cross-country far from home until I can return and change it myself with the good stuff. Pentosin isn’t cheap! Filters are.

Already using fuel additive as well.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I run Pentosin HP2 5w-40. The motor is brand new VW block with every stock part imaginable removed and upgraded for long term durability and small travel trailer towing. Fully built 02M 6-speed, the whole 9. The point is for piece of mind and protecting my work/investment. Plus it’s a rare piece of kit, who doesn’t want one? I have multiple items that are not made installed that are neat and sure to be valuable in 10-15 years when I upgrade for the next guy to appreciate. I treat my car like I treat my pecker!

Nothing wrong with a top side filter change @ 10k and checking fluid levels instead of an oil change while I’m cross-country far from home until I can return and change it myself with the good stuff. Pentosin isn’t cheap! Filters are.

Already using fuel additive as well.

Regardless of how expensive it is, HP2 is a group III 505 based lube and will succumb to the loss of allalinity as any other low ash oil as you exceed the factory interval of 10k miles. The bypass kit is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist unless you’re going to use API CI-4+ with high SAPS.

With that said, you can make your own bypass kit, it’s not very difficult as most of the fittings are universal. However I would also mount an oil pressure guage to your interior cluster as you’re adding extra connections and potential lubrication failure points to your new engine.

A fuel additive isn’t a combustion catalyst and vice versa. Most additives don’t contain catalysts and there are only a few on the market to choose from.

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Been there, done/tried that. With a full metal jacket skid plate and an offset filter bracket tried 10 different ways, I had issues running lines and mounting it in any area that was convenient - with the 02M, Frostheater etc. The only thing that made sense was to attach it close to the IP on the accessory bracket or bolt it through to the rad support in the same spot to keep the lines short, which would require custom A/C lines to fit a 90 sized filter. The only way I'd remove my ProVent was for a DG Kit to fit on the filter housing just as snug.

Bottom line is simple - I wanted one. How about that?

Oil Pressure Gauge already installed, thanks. BRM Sprocket and Chain as well.

When i pulled my 350k mile ALH apart last year before i built the new long block and transmission, i could still see the original cylinder cross hatching in each cylinder wall... thats with god knows what oil or care was given to the car the years before I purchased it. Amazing. Not too concerned about pushing 20k intervals regardless of obscure and frankly irrelevant oil statistics that haven't been an issue.

Thanks for your input though.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI

As I said, The oil type is only relevant if you plan to exceed 15k miles. A bypass filter can’t remove acidic combustion byproducts, just soot smaller than whatever micron your full flow filter is rated at.

I saw one of these kits being sold on Craigslist in the Bay Area a couple years ago. You may want to set up alerts on nationwide lists and on eBay to expand your search options.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Heads-up to those considering conducting business with the OP of this thread. Please know the maturity & temperament of the individual:

What follows is quoted from the OP’s response to me via txt msg after I declined to do business with him (edited to redact the profanity to comply with the decorum here on Fred’s):

No I'll tell you what, Bob. Why don't you waddle out to your garage, find that dusty, old bypass filter and shove it up your wife's fat dusty cXXt, you prick. Go fXXX yourself.

I'm in central MD too by the way so try me motherfXXXer.”

To the moderators, I did not report it to you as his conduct occurred off Fred’s platform. Fully understood if it is your opinion that this response and information is not necessary and/or, you believe it appropriate to handle on your end. Post reported by me for your/moderator review.

Shame on my for providing my phone number to him in my initial PM. This is my first such poor dealing with someone here on Fred’s.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Heads-up to those considering conducting business with the OP of this thread. Please know the maturity & temperament of the individual:

What follows is quoted from the OP’s response to me via txt msg after I declined to do business with him (edited to redact the profanity to comply with the decorum here on Fred’s):

No I'll tell you what, Bob. Why don't you waddle out to your garage, find that dusty, old bypass filter and shove it up your wife's fat dusty cXXt, you prick. Go fXXX yourself.

I'm in central MD too by the way so try me motherfXXXer.”

To the moderators, I did not report it to you as his conduct occurred off Fred’s platform. Fully understood if it is your opinion that this response and information is not necessary and/or, you believe it appropriate to handle on your end. Post reported by me for your/moderator review.

Shame on my for providing my phone number to him in my initial PM. This is my first such poor dealing with someone here on Fred’s.
Wow that's insulting. What prompted that hostility? Did he think your price was too high?

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Wow that's insulting. What prompted that hostility? Did he think your price was too high?
Never gave him a price. I asked him what he had in mind for a price and explained that the one I had I purchased used years prior and that I could try to find it in my clutter of parts. I have no idea what these are worth or what I paid for mine.

His response to my question of what price range he had in mind was along the lines of fair price and, basically, a guideline of safe internet purchase protocol.

I responded with an apology for spamming him. Hit went down hill from there.

His apparent anger and profanity is the the surprising part.

Probably explains why I have too much clutter and spare parts. Too much drama in dealing with people to sell them.

And I thought that it would be a simple easy sale as we are local to each other. Sadly, times have changed.

Last edited:

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Here’s the full message chain:

Me -“Bob,

This is Chad from TDI Club. I got your message about the bypass filter. If you can find it and all parts, I will pay any reasonable price you have in mind for it. All I ask for is some pictures confirming all parts and condition, and use PayPal so we both get purchase protection. Let me know what you think!”

Bob - “ Sorry. Did not mean to spam you.”

Me - “Oh no, so you aren't selling a Dieselgeek bypass filter? lol”

Bob -
In response to your question no probably not. From all the safe internet buying instructions you sent back just a little bit too much drama for me.

I asked a simple question of what the market was for the bypass kits. That question you did not answer. I did not ask internet safeline instructions or vague fair prices or all the other minutiae.

I'll deal with it when I get around to the garage clean out.”

Me -
“Hey Bob news flash - it's TDI Club policy to use PayPal for its purchase protection for both the buyer and seller unless your local and can pick it up/use cash.

Saying "I'll pay any reasonable price you have in mind for it" is doing you a favor. You get to choose what price would make you happy.

No I'll tell you what, Bob. Why don't you waddle out to your garage, find that dusty, old bypass filter and shove it up your wife's fat dusty ****, you prick. Go yourself.

I'm in central MD too by the way so try me mother******.”

Bob - “Brave man aren't you look me up and we can talk”
“Really brave and I thought it could be a simple transaction you're the one that screwed it up a******.”

Me - (No Response)

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Anyone who would like to see the text messages can feel free to message me off forum on my cell... long story short I don’t appreciate guys like Bob who want to waste my time... I was plenty nice and out of my way accommodating to him. And I don’t like to be taken advantage of by wasting my time! I broke no club policy on this forum, however the military left profanity in me as a second language plus I couldn’t resist a little comedic relief. Sorry club members. Love this forum. Found a bypass filter by the way and had a nice smooth transaction like the many I’ve had on here.

-Chad

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
"Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.". Spencer w Kimball.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Glad you like it. I will follow Mark Twain's wisdom of "NEVER ARGUE WITH STUPID PEOPLE. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.”. I'm out you win.

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Alrighty then, Bob... thanks for your two internet quotes I guess? You really told me. I don’t know how I’ll recover from this...

Good luck finding that filter by the way, hopefully you didn’t place it where I suggested in the text messages. Apologies to the wife if so.

Sorry to all TDI club members for the post drama, I again did find a filter from a long time member and appreciate the forum, members and its resources.

Good luck to anyone else trying to find a bypass filter as well - I’ve been looking for a while. I’d advise not contacting this gentleman as he tends to be moody and will tear you apart publicly like a bad comic stealing lines - except they are from long gone poets and authors off of Google.
😊

-Chad