WTB: Beetle TDI

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Ok, here's the situation. I want to buy a beetle TDI model year 2002 or better. I'd prefer 2003+, but would consider 2002.

I'd like it to be green or yellow (not the pale, pastel yellow or the mustard yellow, but the brighter "sunflower" yellow). Blue is also acceptable. However, I’ll consider any beetle that is NOT black or white (no offense, but I just think it’s a boring color for a beetle).

Manual transmission preferred, but not a must.

If used, I’d prefer it have less than 50k miles, but again, that’s flexible.

Cost is a big factor, so I’d prefer not to have any options, mods, or such. I am considering just looking for a new 2004 (while they’re left) or even going for a 2005 if the price is reasonable since used beetles with my specs will be hard to find.

As a side note, I’ve got a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe that I’m trying to unload to make room for the beetle, should I ever find it. If anyone wants a nice, inexpensive, used non-TDI, this could be the car for you. Check out the ad at Cars.com

What do you all think: am I dreaming or is there a TDI out there with those specs? I've seen a couple listed here that are close, but didn't seem right for various reasons. I'm checking on the yellow beetle offered by Kubla in Cincy. I'm leery about payments on a third vehicle, so if I can sell the cavalier, then I may even spring for a new one, but at least I'll feel more flexible financially.

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
There was a 5-sp, low-odo TDI Beetle advertised in a Delaware handout called The Guide. I'll try to find it tomorrow, but meantime you might see if you can get any info from their website, www.theguide.com -- OTOH, you might now wish to drive as far as Delaware? Glenn

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
Just called. It's Silver and apparently is loaded with options if anyone is interested.

SCEHAR

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Black
I think I have a 02 Cyber Green on my lot right now. I'll go check and give you the specs and price range.
Sean

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I spoke to the owner. Here's the situation:

His mother (80+ years old) just passed away leaving the beetle. She rarely drove it, in fact, he said that it mostly just sat around. It doesn't have the leather interior, but gray cloth. It does have power everything, a sunroof, and alloy wheels. No heated seats. He said the plastic guard under the bumper has been pulled away a little bit where his father must have hit one of those concrete parking blocks.

He lives in Felton, DE. He didn't know much about TDIs, but said he liked it enough to keep it if it was an automatic. Sounds like it's probably a good a deal, but it's not really the color I want.

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
He lives in Felton, DE. He didn't know much about TDIs...
Felton is a few miles south of Dover. There is a large used-car auction there, www.delawareautoexchange.com, IIRC. Last year there were a number of cars flooded in hurricane Isabelle; some showed up at the auctions. I would run the VIN through a research service before buying. The story of an 80-yr-old lady buying a Diesel sounds a bit far fetched

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey
He probably has some swampland in Florida he'd like to sell you too!

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to mention that bridge in Brooklyn.... The seller's story could be entirely legitimate, but without CarFax, a thorough inspection of the car, and examination of the title, the buyer could be taking significant risk.

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
I have a yellow 2001 5-speed TDI + Upsolute and Spec clutch for sale here for $7,500 Has 53k miles. We have to haul more stuff now, and the NB, although a great car, is no longer practical for us

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a yellow 2001 5-speed TDI + Upsolute and Spec clutch for sale here for $7,500 Has 53k miles. We have to haul more stuff now, and the NB, although a great car, is no longer practical for us
So what are disabled DRLs? What do you get from your clutch mod that you didn't get from the stock one? When (mileage) did you get the Old Navy CCV installed? Are you the original owner of this beetle?