WTB B4 short shifter

akal65

TDI
B4
I wish to find a short shifter for my 96 B4 Passat ,I am interested in any and all out there. Thx

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
There aren’t any available options afaik. The ones that were available are now NLA. I occasionally see used kits come up for sale, but they sell quickly.

Most require you to drop the exhaust, but maybe it can be done from the top…

-Todd

volksguy

Veteran Member
Still available surprised no one Google B3 B4 Short Shift Kits

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Switching over to the later 02J shifter is way more precise, and opens you up to more short shifter options.

volksguy

Veteran Member
So you go were to get O2J short Shift kit that's fits B3 and B4 Passats? To Help Out Those That Dont know? This Information.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I suppose I was referring to kits that were readily available in the US. Neuspeed, B&M, Dieselgeek, etc.

To use the 02J short shifters, you’d need to install the 02J shift box and tower.

-Todd

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
* Shift box, tower (goes down into the transmission), pivots (on the top of the transmission) and cables (between the shift box/lever and pivots).

The best short shifter for the upgraded O2J shift linkages is the Audi TT "golf club" - just shortens fore/aft and leaves side to side as stock:

volksguy

Veteran Member
So Explain In Detail All Models and Years To Sourse All Parts Required
To Put This In A B3 & B4 Passat.
Then Were To Obtain The Short Shift Kit.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still available surprised no one Google B3 B4 Short Shift Kits
So you go were to get O2J short Shift kit that's fits B3 and B4 Passats? To Help Out Those That Dont know? This Information.
So Explain In Detail All Models and Years To Sourse All Parts Required
To Put This In A B3 & B4 Passat.
Then Were To Obtain The Short Shift Kit.

Surprised you didn’t Google it… plenty of info online and in this forum.

-Todd

volksguy

Veteran Member
I Dont Want The Information it's for The Person That started this Thread.
I Gave a Source For The Person That Started This Thread.
DID YOU ?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
* Shift box, tower (goes down into the transmission), pivots (on the top of the transmission) and cables (between the shift box/lever and pivots).

The best short shifter for the upgraded O2J shift linkages is the Audi TT "golf club" - just shortens fore/aft and leaves side to side as stock:

I can attest that it’s amazing and well worth the effort. Even after many years it still shifts like a new car, or better.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
To whom it may concern, we're here to help each other - nobody get their knickers in a knot.

original Vortex thread listing all steps: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/02...-onto-an-02a-lots-of-pics.3344454/?id=3344454

BkMetz attesting to the effectiveness of this swap: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/b4-4th-5th-gear-shifter-play.390765/

In addition to others in this thread.

The only hard part to source is the shift tower that runs down into the transmission - however, that (and all the rest of the parts) are not specific to TDI - you can get them all off a 2.0, VR6 etc.

Having converted my B4, if I ever own a B3,B3, A3 or A4 with the earlier style, it would be the very first mod I do - it is that good, and the original shifter is just that bad... :)