WTB: any really old diesel that runs

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Due to some interesting circumstances, my husband and I may be looking to buy a second car, and a diesel is definitely preferred (don't want to confuse which fuel we add to which car
). We really only need the car to run for 4-5 months, so I am looking for a high mileage, old diesel for under $3K. Will I find this anywhere? If not, let me know so we can stop hoping and just look for a old Honda or Toyota. Thanks!

Courtney

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
You can find them, but don't expect a TDI at that price. You can get the older VW TD cars or possibly an old MB diesel in that price range. I would suggest you try cars.com and autotrader.com searching specifically for diesel and that price range.

If you can't find anything local I know there are usually a few here:

Woodsboro Auto Sales

If he doesn't have one listed contact him, as he might be working on one or can track one down.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Did you check the post of the "1980 MB diesel" - they're asking $3300. Sounds good for the price

MarkHD

TDI
'96 Passat Wagon, Dragon Green
I guess it depends on how desperate you are. I have an '81 Dasher Wagon that's developing a head gasket leak (just air, near the glow plug). Still seems to run great. As soon as I can get a TDI (which is supposed to be soon), this one has to go. I'm on the West coast.

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
MarkHD,

I'm not sure we could make it out to the west coast. If we get desperate enough, I'll let you know. Thanks!

janb

Veteran Member
I saw an '85 Jetta Diesel at a car lot near Rock Falls, Il, Hwy 40 and I-88 on May 22 (these are not real movers!) Here are 2 dealers in town, but neither looks to be the joint in question. They might be able to get you in touch, or maybe they moved.

Discount Auto Sales
1103 East Rock Falls Road, Rock Falls, IL 61071
(815) 626-4603

S & S Auto Sales
816 1st Avenue, Rock Falls, IL 61071
(815) 626-3633

or http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/
local nickel ads, or Local towing company auctions (I've got several drivers for <$100 ) They usually need a little work (Glow plugs
).