WTB 8mm exhaust valve

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
Hey guys, I've been reading that these valves are off the market, not sure if i'll be able to source a new one. I will have to talk to my parts vendor. So i decided to ask around to see if anyone has a spare 8mm exhaust valve kicking around that they want to sell. I will need it to be in good/straight condition.

I've narrowed it down to only one valve being bent. It was stuck in the guide with only a cm or so of movement. I had to drive it out with a hammer and then pull it. I checked the guide with another valve, seems to be in good condition.

Problem i don't want to face is having to replace all the 8mm valves, guides and seals and springs with 7mm. That sounds like a nightmare.

TIA

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Is this a stock size valve?

In January I bought a single stock exhaust valve at Part source for $20. It was made in Italy.

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this a stock size valve?

In January I bought a single stock exhaust valve at Part source for $20. It was made in Italy.

I believe it is stock 8mm on 1Z. According to everything i've read so far. I'll get the tape measure out, just not sure where to measure. I was thinking of taking it in to my parts rep and ask him. He know's these cars.

The stock exhaust valve you purchased, was it 8mm or 7mm. The 1z i read used the 8mm, while the Ahu and Alh used the 7mm. If it was an 8mm and my parts guy can't get them, it would be nice to know i can resort to PS as a last resource. Italy makes precision stuff, so how many km's have you put on since swapping in that valve?

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
Perjad from Precision, measured my valves and they are in fact 7mm. So i'm glad i don't have to deal with swapping everything. My car is dated 06/1997. I forgot where to look on the block for my engine code, but read that engine numbers higher than 770000 have the 7mm valves.

Based on what i've gathered and read online. Early 96 1z had the 8mm. Not sure why VW would put 8mm in the car since i also read that some AAZ came with 7mm......