WTB 2000-2004 Golf TDI

YotaBimmerFanTDI

TDI
None but searching
Hello,
I am new to the Forum, I was brought here from Reddit. I am looking for a Mk4 Golf TDI to purchase for my move to Texas. I currently live in Pennsylvania, and recently got a new job where I have to make a few trips between Pennsylvania, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, and back. It is training with the Air Force so I will need something reliable to get me there and not have to worry about it during school. I used to have an F30 BMW 328d and had a very bad experience with DEF/DPF failures. I am looking for something mostly stock, no rust and well maintained. Mileage doesn't really bother me if it was well taken care of. Would entertain a newer golf/ jetta wagon that was properly deleted. Must also be a manual and I have a budget of around 6500. I am willing to travel for the right car. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a '99.5 I am considering selling (mostly the same as a 2000).

It runs and drives perfect. GL trim car, hand crank windows, no sunroof. 248k miles (about 50k of those are mine). I have service history from the previous two owners, although it was more of a "fix it when it broke" kind of thing, they were not "regulars".

Engine all stock save for the 11mm pump. I recently replaced the original gearbox with one from a friend's crashed (rear ended) 2004 J-wagon, shifter and all, so it doesn't have that miserable early A4 shifter problem. It has a Valeo one-piece flywheel conversion still, from two owners ago.

I've put all new brakes on, and new rear calipers and cables (the newer round ended ones).

It has less than 15k miles on a set of Michelins wrapped around 16" NB steelies.

Volkswagen battery only a couple years old, new Bosch starter when I did the transmission.

Glass Ecode headlights and switch.

DG aluminum skidplate

GTI springs F&R (media blasted and painted, better than new! These were new on my other Golf)

Bilstein HDs F&R

Things I know it needs:

DTC for SRS crash sensor, passenger side (I think this is the one under the seat)
Paint is bad (clearcoat)
Driver's seat has hole worn in left bolster.
Loose foam in vents, HVAC works but isn't perfect.
aftermarket radio is probably not the best.
only have one fob (but have several other keys) and the driver door latch switch is bad.
aftermarket trailer hitch, not great, but it works OK (I have used it for light loads).
slight rust bubbles starting on right lower fender, no holes yet. (I R&Rd and cleaned/treated the inner fenders when I got it)
headliner falling
rear wiper intermittently works, I have a new hatch harness I will include with the car.

It runs and drives great, never let me down. It'll cruise rock solid at 100+ MPH.

I recently got a 2004 Golf, and may decide to keep it instead.

$3500

Oh, and I just did the timing belt.

Couple older pics when I first got it:

Last edited:

larryscastle

TDI
mk6 golf
oilhammer, what color is that golf? I have a thing for blue cars.... Looks to me like jazz blue, although, in searching, I could not find anything that indicated mk4's were ever offered in jazz blue in north america (aside from the 20th AE). If the OP decides to pass, let me know. I wasn't necessarily looking to buy right away, but this blue golf has got me thinking...

oilhammer

TDI
It is Jazz Blue. 1999.5 German-built only (for the US). It is not the same as the R32 blue, which is more closer to a royal blue.

oilhammer

TDI
So, now a total of FIVE people are interested in this car (none of them the OP to this thread, LOL). First person that hands me $3500 cash can drive it home. I am available this weekend. If it is not confirmed sold by next week I will be keeping it. I need to do some work to one of my other cars, and need something efficient for the wife to drive (the 1.8t Passat guzzles premium at around 23 MPGs!).

YotaBimmerFanTDI

TDI
None but searching
So, now a total of FIVE people are interested in this car (none of them the OP to this thread, LOL). First person that hands me $3500 cash can drive it home. I am available this weekend. If it is not confirmed sold by next week I will be keeping it. I need to do some work to one of my other cars, and need something efficient for the wife to drive (the 1.8t Passat guzzles premium at around 23 MPGs!).

I am out of town on a deployment, I was going to say that I do like it but I won't be back till January haha

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’ve been eyeing this one. It’s just north of Binghamton N.Y. which is probably a bit closer to the OP. I have no idea who the owner is, I don’t have Facebook so that info is hidden from me.

Edit, Whoa .. I copied and pasted the link and chinese looking characters show up does anyone know what that’s about?

If someone thinks that Facebook add is spam I’ll certainly remove it.