WOW! Trying to replace my clutch.... Tranny removal was near impossible

WightTDI

TDI
1998 Jetta (White)
:eek::confused:

If anyone has some insight, in the process of replacing my clutch and installing a VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel..... It took all I could do to maneuver the transmission out of the engine compartment. I have a tranny jack, but getting the sucker "pried" out was horrible! The Bentley manual was of little help, once I started having issues. I removed the driver's side axle and all the stuff, the Haynes/Benley manual stated, but I didn't remove any engine mounts or the sub frame. (I did, of course remove the rear transmission mount) Are these necessary to remove? This was an ulcer, compared to my old 81' Rabbit Diesel L or 79' Dasher Diesel. I'm hoping there is a trick or sequence of actions that can make reinstallation bearable..... (perhaps pics?) ;o)

I also didn't remove any peripheral components: i.e. Suspension, front end, etc.....

Any help/suggestions will be IMMENSELY appreciated!!!

P.S. I apologise, in advance if there is an "FYI or FAQ" on this. I searched for quite some time and found nothing, related.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
taking the drive side output flange out was helpful for me as was removing the three bolts holding the driver's side rear motor/tranny bracket to the transmission.

removal and installation was done with two people, me on the ground and my brother up top, i couldn't imagine trying to use a jack to get it in place, we were able to lift/angle slip it in place pretty easily with minor swearing with those two components removed.

that link Seatman posted, is great. remove everything, anything that says "you may want to remove" should say REMOVE IT.

you will need new flange seals for the output shafts but hey they are cheap.

1chrisapple

Veteran Member
TDI
02 alh 5spd stock 231k
taking the drive side output flange out was helpful for me as was removing the three bolts holding the driver's side rear motor/tranny bracket to the transmission.

removal and installation was done with two people, me on the ground and my brother up top, i couldn't imagine trying to use a jack to get it in place, we were able to lift/angle slip it in place pretty easily with minor swearing with those two components removed.

that link Seatman posted, is great. remove everything, anything that says "you may want to remove" should say REMOVE IT.

you will need new flange seals for the output shafts but hey they are cheap.

this will save u lots of frustration but i remove the passenger axleflange instead of drivers bc u dont have to fight it around the rear of engine

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I should have been a bit more clear on that, don't remove the passenger side output flange or you'll dump a good deal more of the tranny fluid.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure why people have trouble with these, if you just use the proper method of using the spare tire jack to move the engine away from the rear subframe the trans will twist/roll/twist right on out. Very easy.

98JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I know your frustration, I had the same problem.

I found it to be easier to use an engine hoist to lift and angle the motor. You'll have to unbolt from the engine mounts, but its a good time to replace them if you are in there anyways. I followed the myturbodiesel how to, but still had the same problems you are having.

importam

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I pull out both flanges, and change the seals while they are out. Also makes it a cake walk to remove and install trans.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Not sure why people have trouble with these, if you just use the proper method of using the spare tire jack to move the engine away from the rear subframe the trans will twist/roll/twist right on out. Very easy.
I'll second this comment... using a jack as described make a huge difference. You only need to push the engine block forward an inch or so, but it suddenly allows the differential housing to rotate down and it is easy from there.

Pic.. 'borrowed' from the myTDI site..
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/a3b4/trans/trans7.jpg

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
yes the jack is how its supposed to be done. All of the smart dealer techs do this

vgmnstr

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Bettle TDI
I completely missed the one cast into the head. That would have come in handy when I changed my engine mounts. Will come in handy when I do my clutch work. Thanks for pointing it out.

Riley

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V
If and when I have to do a clutch or tranny replacement, I think I'm going the complete removal method ie. engine and tranny together.