Wow, my TDI doesn't need anything and is doing great, Thought you'd like to know!

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Well, this is in response to another thread about VW's TDI's not being reliable.

Well, so far, mine is!! I know I have relativly low miles but, I have had it for more than 15,000 miles and its doing great. My rear breaks aren't gone, my clutch is doing fine, and all I have had to do is regular oil changes. An occasional buzz pops up, but if I had an engine that vibrated like a desiel I would be concerned if I didn't rattle a little, isn't that what a stereo is for?

Let me know if any of you are having the same great experience of owning a Jetta TDI as I am.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Mine had a few ground issues, but the engine is the most reliable thing I've driven

OldSchoolFresh

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
My 98 TDI is definately the best car I've ever had (but I am 19...), it's well over 317,000kms and still runs great. Just be proactive with maintenance and of course spend time on TDIclub for the best advice:p

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
One of my windshield nozzles was damaged by ice, and my armrest latch is broken. Other than that, my TDI is 100% at 102,000 miles.

Here's a check of the status:

2003 Golf TDI (mine, 102,000 miles) -- Fine
2003 Golf TDI (my brother's, 139,000 miles) -- Fine
2004 Jetta TDI (my mom's, 90,000 miles) -- Fine
2005.5 Jetta TDI (my dad's, 25,000 miles) -- Fine
2006 Jetta TDI (my cousin's, 15,000 miles) -- Fine
2006 Jetta TDI (my friend's, 7,000 miles) -- Fine

Last edited:

eth555

TDI
2004 Jetta PD TDI
My 2004 PD Jetta is doing great. Bought it used at 68,000 miles now has close to 80,000 miles and no issues, just normail oil changes and added a Cat Filter kit, and Panzer plate!!! I love it!!! Never had a VW before but definetly would again!!

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Mine's not doing so well. At 94kmiles, it needs a TB soon, and I suspect rear brakes in another 40 or 50k. Too soon, too soon...

As for actual broken things, other than an EGR valve the dealer botched up, the only bad things to occur were:
-two driver side headlights
-door switches in drivers door stopped (connector fell off, fixed under warrenty)
-drivers side window broken. Window freezes in place and the regulator will wind up and down w/o the glass in cold weather; seems ok in warm weather.
-HVAC light is burned out.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I'm at 225,000 miles--put in a hybrid turbo at 190,000 miles, shop dropped a nut in it at 190,800 miles...
As for problems generated by the car/VWs fault? Nothing to date!
-BB

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Uh...BB...somehow you have managed to mentally separate this statement of yours from the surreal experiences we have read and witnessed over the past few years involving you and TDIs...:D

how does "generated by the car" not apply here? :p I used to have vivid dreams of a 98 Jetta going down the road, flames leaping from it and oil guysering from the engine bay, while meteors impacted all around and strange supernatural things appeared in the sky around Utah...ok they were dreams, but still :D

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
McBrew said:
One of my windshield nozzles was damaged by ice, and my armrest latch is broken. Other than that, my TDI is 100% at 102,000 miles.
I just ordered an armrest off ebay from Hong Kong, and it actually got here in just a week! I was impressed...

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
TDIRyan said:
I just ordered an armrest off ebay from Hong Kong, and it actually got here in just a week! I was impressed...

Off topic:
I've had a bad experience ordering VW parts from Hong Kong. Anyone else?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My 2000 Jetta I drove aprox 55k miles trouble free. Glove box latch/armrest lid broken when I bought it. Ooops, forgot I put in a MAF. Never had the recalls done as the nearest stealer is almost 100 miles away. The 2001 I'm driving now is a salvage title due to rollover-had to replace engine which wasn't the cars fault. Was pretty beat up all over. Aprox 5k on it since I put it together and it runs/drives great. Both averaged over 50 MPG on my work commute. What do you want??:)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Rickstah said:
Uh...BB...somehow you have managed to mentally separate this statement of yours from the surreal experiences we have read and witnessed over the past few years involving you and TDIs...:D

how does "generated by the car" not apply here? :p I used to have vivid dreams of a 98 Jetta going down the road, flames leaping from it and oil guysering from the engine bay, while meteors impacted all around and strange supernatural things appeared in the sky around Utah...ok they were dreams, but still :D
Rickstah,
That was the '97--I never said anything regarding that pile of trash!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=63091
-BB

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I need a new TDICLUB sticker cause mine has met an unfortunate demise at the hand of an ice scraper:(

oldiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one
Yes i need a new TDI club sticker too,darn already need to replace it and the car only has 110,xxx miles some things just dont hold up.:D Don

Vrooodada

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm afraid to respond to this thread because last time I bragged on my car someone gave me the clap. Well, since there is antibiotics....My car is still good, and I still like it!

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
2003 Jetta GLS. 50,000 miles in the 18 months since I bought it, 110,000 on the odometer. It's on it's original MAF, TB @95K by Jason TDI. Intake has never been cleaned and it runs great. Fixed the broken trunk latch for $0, Jason said the pads/rotors have plenty of life left. I did have a bad glow plug (ohmed it) and bought a new set in Nov. I'm a firm believer in 3K shifts and driving it like I stole it and still get 650-700 mile tanks. Very happy with my TDI.:)

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Major problem with my car!!

at 258k kms it was in desperate need of more power.

So naturally I contacted the only person that could help me Mark malone from Diesel Inside :)

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
scrichy84 said:
Well, this is in response to another thread about VW's TDI's not being reliable.

Well, so far, mine is!!
188,000 miles, bought new in Octobre 2002, a Golf GLS w/manual transmission.
  • Two sets of rear pads
  • One set of front pads
  • One complete front/back set of rotors
  • 4 or 5 MAF's due to checking air filtre giving a contamination of MAF popping the air cleaner:(
  • 1 N75 valve [trouble shooting later what was the cause below]
  • 1 EGR valve $130
  • Two Timing Belts, HermTDi [78,000 miles] and Old Poopie [158,000 miles]
  • One accelerator pedal sensor [replacement 180,000 miles] [entire pedal $130.00 worldimpex]
  • One Relay 109 $10 but didn't need it [trouble shooting dead accelerator pedal problem]
  • Bilstein HD's all replaced under warranty so twice new once shy
  • Couple head light bulbs
  • One set of Glow Plugs $45 [but didn't need them read below]
  • One Glow Plug wiring harness $49 [20 minute job running GP harness in parallel with main harness]
  • Couple of rear tail light bulbs
  • One instrumentation control bulb $1.00
  • An alternateur OEM Bosch, 120 amp had I known about the pulley replacement 'only' it would have been one tenth the time and money 175,000 miles
  • One serp belt tensenor at 158,000 miles during timing belt w/ Oldpoopie but it was the alternateur pulley that was giving havoc, not the tensenor
  • No dealership service other than a TSB on ...a window regulator which was replaced free of charge on driver's side

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Mine is great. The only things that this car has needed that normally I would not expect of a car is too many bulbs and a glowplug harness. Other than that, it's all normal wear parts on a car with 90+ miles.

Oh, it is pretty dirty, but I guess that's my fault... :D :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh no, scrichy84-you just jinxed yourself!!! Never brag how good anything is-it will always come back to bite you in the a$$!!!;)

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
01 Golf 91k miles
- replaced all glow plugs
- replaced all rotors and pads ( x2 )
- TB, pulleys, water pump, serpentine melt, alt regulator
- cleaned intake once
- numerous healight bulbs, cluster bulbs, emergency signal switch
- oil pan ( stripped plug )

04 Golf 92 K miles
- EGR cooler replaced
- TB, pulleys, water pump , serpentine belt
- car currently sitting at garage, waiting for ECU repair

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
tdidieselbobny said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh no, scrichy84-you just jinxed yourself!!! Never brag how good anything is-it will always come back to bite you in the a$$!!!;)
Bring it on, I've been pretty bored with only being able to clean the car. I want to work on it. My last car was a '95 BMW 325i and I had to do a lot to it. It was a blast!

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
2 timing belt changes (preventative water pump and tensioner)
1 intake manifold cleaning
1 set front wheel bearings

1 Brake Booster
1 sets of glowplugs
2 MAF sensors
1 set of swaybar bushings
2 sets of rear lights
4 sets of tires
24 oil and filter changes
10 fuel filters
4 air filters

4 windshields
All Original Fuses
One N75 Relay
Nozzles for the hell of it.
2 sets of hubcaps
1 Battery
One very worn floor mat…

Original Shocks & Struts
Original Front Brakes (Just did Rears)

Original Clutch
Knocking on wood the whole time I’m writing this…

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
396,000km's :)

2 TB changes (waterpump with second change + rollers)
1 rear brake caliper
2 e-brake cables
1 master cyliner
2-3 sets of rotors/pads
1 radiator (courtesy of a 30lb+ raccoon @ 90mph)
Set of headlight lenses (pitted)
1 side mirror (corroded metal, snapped completely off, interesting)
Upgraded the stock shocks to Bilstein Sports. (stock spring)
1 Inner CV boot kit
1 starter

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Canadian_Grizzly said:

4 fuel filters
4 air filters

4 windshields
I am confused. Shouldn't you have more fuel filters and fewer windshields???

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
The current diesel stable:
'96 Passat TDI 172k miles
'96 Passat TDI 160k miles
'03 Jetta TDI 41k miles
'97 E300 Diesel 144k miles

All reliable, never stranded. Cat/downpipe broke on one of the Passats. Drivers power window regulator broke on the other passat. That's it! No engine problems, very reliable stuff here.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
scrichy84 said:
Off topic:
I've had a bad experience ordering VW parts from Hong Kong. Anyone else?
Nope. Just ordered a pair of the heated, blue-tint aspherical mirrors for $10 (+$32 shipping) from VWinChina on EBay and got them in 11 days. They are OEM from the VW partnership in China and work great!