Would you purchase a TDI Post-Dieselgate

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Loved all of my VW cars (8) and would buy another in a heart beat.
Have 2 at the moment and plan to put many miles on them.

Quick7

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2011 Golf Wagon Highline
Simple answer...Yes.
I am on my second VW TDI. I bought a 2002 Jetta GLS in 2005, I was the second owner and I had no idea what I was buying. Over the next 400,000+ km I got to learn about and love that car. No major problems, and it has always been reliable. In late 2015 I decided I needed a larger car because I needed space for kids so I found a 2011 Golf Wagon TDI and bought it. The build quality is great and I can only hope it will be as reliable as my old MK4. The only part I'm worried about is all the new emissions crap that it has that the ALH doesn't. I had planned to sell the old ALH, but couldn't come to part with it. It owns me nothing so I continue to drive it.

Just for fun, and to stir the pot since there was a Ford comment earlier...My other vehicle is an 06 GMC Sierra. My family has had GM products for 3 generations, as far as I'm concerned GM makes the most reliable pickups hands down! :):) :p

Last edited:

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
Being the newbie here I have to wonder if VW had never got caught, would people still be complaining about their VW's? Even more so the TDI's.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Being the newbie here I have to wonder if VW had never got caught, would people still be complaining about their VW's? Even more so the TDI's.
There is a laundry list of CR TDI threads with complaints that were established well before this news broke (i.e. HPFP, DPF, etc.).

The TDI news release is just a significant inconvenience to me (I can't sell my car unless I want to pretty much give it away)....not a deciding factor to complain about my car. If it wasn't for the news breaking...I would have sold my car by now (I started car shopping in late August 2015), as would pretty much everyone else who wanted out of their car prior to the news breaking. That would take a LOT of the complaints out (people that were just unhappy with their car for one reason or another).

crudo

TDI
2010 Jetta tdi
Used to love it but now hate VW tdi. I was lucky enough to be 10 mile under warranty when my DPF filter system failed on 80k. Now on around 140k it has happened again and I can't bite on the $4.8k the dealer is charging me. Much worst is I can't even drive the car due to NY inspection failure. So for an average of every 70k miles I would have to have the DPF filter system replaced! Repairs worth more than the car plus $400 DSG fluid change every 40K. Still love diesel though with good torque power and fuel efficiency but maintenance and upkeep is just to high for a basic car. Radio, A/C, and power locks are broken wherein it should last until car gives in. VW has deceived and betrayed our trust and I still can't believe people's loyalty to them?

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
There is a laundry list of CR TDI threads with complaints that were established well before this news broke (i.e. HPFP, DPF, etc.).
I have to wonder at some point if it comes down to VW's service centers. In other countries you see VW's with 150k plus miles still running strong even members on here have had no real problems with their cars.

Just thinking out loud here.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I didn't say increase the urea concentration, I said to just increase the injection rate, Use the same urea as today.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Just wondering how many people here would purchase a new/used CR TDI today post "Dieselgate"

Yes and thankful to have one again before these wonderful machines are gone from our car lots for sale. Had one of the first Clean Diesels ;) to get to USA back in 08. Loved it but sold it with 35,000 miles on it in 2010 for fear of a HPFP issue or DPF issue.

In a 13 TDI GOlf and love it. Purchased 02/23/16:D

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Yup would buy one in a heartbeat. Work at a salvage yard and just had a low mile 12 Jetta wagon come in with front end damage wanted to buy it to fix but it has a scrap title so there goes that idea.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have to wonder at some point if it comes down to VW's service centers. In other countries you see VW's with 150k plus miles still running strong even members on here have had no real problems with their cars.

Just thinking out loud here.
Part of it is service. Most members on here have at least one horror story about the VW garage (IMHO). Part of it is that the internet attracts poeple with issues. If someone has a problem and are looking for a solution, or maybe just a sounding board, they find this site and post. Then others with the problem add to it. Next thing you know, we've turned one little sugar ant into a giant fire ant mound.

Before I get flamed, I am not saying that issues don't exist. I am saying that some of these issues have been blown way out of proportion.

lsafford

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I have a 2013 Passat TDI and am looking forward to VW selling TDIs in the USA again. I have looked at gas cars, and they are just too expensive to run. In Vermont a 2 year registration on diesel is $50 vs $130 for gas. I can go longer between oil changes. What I would really miss is there is no mid size car that can go 800 miles on a single tank.

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I bought my first Passat TDI in November - after the initial scandal broke. My purchase was driven by need: Changed jobs, longer commute, didn't want to put the entire raise in the fuel tank of an 18 mpg truck, and I'm 6'6" so I don't fit in tiny little cars.

Unfortunately, that first one turned out to be a used lemon. And there isn't anything more that I can say about that.

So I bought my 2nd one two weeks ago! Same need, same disregard for the EPA.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I just did. Scandal means nothing to me, my vehicles all end up being driven off-road only anyways.

2011 JSW 28K miles, DSG (wanted 6spd, couldn't find one in our price range).

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Got a used 2012 Golf with little over 16 k, has almost 19 k at this point. Not too concerned about dieselgate and I honestly love the car and even if the modification would make lose a mile or two, is not the end of the world, especially if VW would pay the owners something more than the cards I already got. I do not see any cheap VW TDIs in my area. Love the car, the power and the road feel so I knew exactly what I am getting into. Got an 09 CC in the family and it was quite reliable (had to do a chain tensioner upgrade just to avoid possible troubles). I don t understand why people get rid of their cars, especially when the car performs the same as it did in the first day.

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Got a used 2012 Golf with little over 16 k, has almost 19 k at this point. Not too concerned about dieselgate and I honestly love the car and even if the modification would make lose a mile or two, is not the end of the world, especially if VW would pay the owners something more than the cards I already got. I do not see any cheap VW TDIs in my area. Love the car, the power and the road feel so I knew exactly what I am getting into. Got an 09 CC in the family and it was quite reliable (had to do a chain tensioner upgrade just to avoid possible troubles). I don t understand why people get rid of their cars, especially when the car performs the same as it did in the first day.

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I just bought a 2012 JSW with 22K miles. Loaded with factory goodies. This is my 18th VW diesel! I started out with a puff '82 Rabbit. Been driving them ever since. Now I need to sell my nice '09 Jetta Loyale with 165K miles. I really love the DSG transmission and computer controlled engine/trannies.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The problem with all of this is that the 2009-2014 Jetta's, Golf's and New Beetles have the EA189 engine and that Engine is the biggest problem for VW! they may end up buying back these cars because it is too expensive to fix them.....so folks that recently purchased may have a huge problem......

wickerman

TDI
2004 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI, 2013 Passat TDI, 2003 F250 7.3
We have a 2004 golf Tdi, 2006 Jetta Tdi, and today purchased a 2014 Touareg Tdi. What ever happens I am still a firm believer in th VW Tdi's !!!!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I love the 3.0L TDI. Nevertheless, I'd want to know exactly what the fix will be and any effects it will have on performance. We may know by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

PyrateMate

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Aye Lads, I have a 2013 Jetts TDI on the fleece. I got it aft losing 3 vehicles in '13 in 6 weeks. My brother had a 2004 Jetta TDI with over 400k miles which convinced me to get aboard... Now to the question a hand, I will continue with the TDI as soon as they free up the local embargo... Was told at the dealer that they will not sell any for some time to come..

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I just want a car without all the issues and uncertainty now surrounding Tdi cars.

So, no more VWs for a while. Giving BMW a try with a CPO X5 diesel.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I remain a loyal supporter of VW and a fan of TDI cars. I just bought an Audi 3.0 TDI.

I don't think there will be any freebies handed out for a recent buyer so VW will have no leverage to entice me to return to a dealer for a reflash.

There are no emissions inspections where I live and plenty of wind no one cares about NOx.

wickerman

TDI
2004 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI, 2013 Passat TDI, 2003 F250 7.3
Without a dought !

Just wondering how many people here would purchase a new/used CR TDI today post "Dieselgate"

Please indicate if you've had previous TDI's or if current is your first

This isnt my first rodeo with VW diesels and recently doubled down on a 2015 GSW

Love the car and Dieselgate didnt make me question my intent to get another VW for a second

Please keep all nonsense post out of this thread and save them for the dumpster sized grease fire of absurdity taking place in another thread.
We have a 2006 Jetta tdi, a 2004 golf tdi, and just a couple weeks ago a 2014 Touareg tdi. So I am certain on the vw tdi quality. Wickerman