Would you purchase a TDI Post-Dieselgate

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Well - I don't expect this to be over very soon - a year or 2 wouldn't surprise me greatly. Less than 6 months would shock the heck outta me.
Yup. Same here. Whether or not they're smart enough to just get it over with quickly (i.e. By September 2016) remains to be seen.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm on my second and third VW TDI. Fourth VW total. Right now, even if new VW diesels were being sold, there is nothing on the VW lot that would make me trade my JSW or Golf. I might consider the Tiguan redesign if it comes with a TDI. I am considering a GMC diesel Canyon, but that will probably be at least another year. We want something easier to get in and out of for our next vehicles. This has not had a large effect on how I feel about diesels (none) or VW (slightly).

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Post Diesel gate, absolutely I would.

But my shift away from diesel will probably be due to the increased viability of EV vehicles, ranges are getting better and "refueling" at my house is rather convenient.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
No. Trucks could charm me, but as with the cars, diesel's maintenance and fuel costs lost me. I'm happier with simple gas-GM, on the truck side. I don't trailer a track car, anymore. I'm in the urban slog, with electric PHEV and BEV. Those drive trains are especially well-suited to anyplace congested. And there's no front-weighted understeer, when the road opens up.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
My Avg fuel cost $1.732 per gallon to date.

YES.... yes.... YES....

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
In the future, I'm looking to trade in the 2013 VW Golf TDI for a CPO 2014-2015 (2016?) Touareg TDI...will need to pull a family vacation trailer around...I really like the TDI power, performance and economy.

ScubaSteve78

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
This is my first diesel car. Only put on 400 miles so far. Had a diesel truck that I LOVED. Wanted a commuter. Found this...knew very little of the issue. Bought it anyway. Very much enjoy it already. Even thou the check engine light came on in 75 miles (p0401 egr). Have a warranty and they are replacing the valve. Would love to just get rid of it all together. Useless on a diesel anyway. Just kills the motor. And....after buying it...and registering it thru VW , they are sending me $1000 for loyalty...win win if you ask me

roflwaffle

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe a TDI in the future. For now... D - 82 Rabbit, 63 190d; H - 00 Insight, 05 Prius ; G - 82 RN30
I've never owned a TDI, but I'd consider one now. With city mpg being on the low side, the prices I'm seeing locally for a used JSWs are still too high, but if they dropped a bit I'd pick one up as a long distance hauler.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
YES.
On my 3rd VW TDI. Have not owned gas vehicle since 86. However I would not buy one that requires Ad Blu.

Past diesel cars were MB's. Awesome but as the get older they start nickel & dimieng.

Diesels I've owed. 86 F250 6.9 stolen @450K
99 F250 7,3 sold @ 355K
3MB's 83 300SDL, 82 300TD (still have) , 95 300e diesel sold
3 VW's 85 Jetta (86 motor) sold, 2012 Jetta TDI traded , current 2014 JSW

Last edited:

Smevans

TDI
'15 TDI| 78' Datsun 280Z (Sold)
First TDI and first VW. Will never own one ever again.

Have zero interest in a company that treats its consumers such as VW has.

TDI BOSCH

TDI
99 1/2 Jetta TDI, 2012 Passat TDI, 2012 Touareg TDI
No Remorse.

I bought my fourth TDI ( the 2012 Touareg ) in between the 2L and the 3L
Diesel-gate events. Got a hell of a deal on it and now am enjoying the second set of debit and gift cards coming. Love these cars. I think I'd rather sue the EPA than VW. I will never bring them in for a re-tune even if they come up with the "recall". They will have to come and get them from me and no price level will make me happy. I do not ever want to drive a crappy , spewing Gasser again!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI this is my 10th TDI since 1999 ! Also have a 1996 Passat TDI and an 1984 Mercedes 300D yes I would buy another!
But will probably buy a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4 Pickup with the 2.8 Duramax Diesel next Fall!

John_Nutt

TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline TDI with a DSG automatic 6 speed
If I get forced into a buyback I will buy a nice clean 2006 tdi for myself and a gasser for my wife. If no buyback I will keep my car until the wheels fall off, might even spend some money a dpf delete and a Malone tune or something equal to a Malone tune. I bought it expecting to see 500k on the odometer.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
If I didn't already own two Golfs I would buy one in a heart beat...

vnowlin

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
First had a 1999 Beetle TDI and now have a 2010 Jetta TDI. Very happy with both. Would look at the new Tiguan TDI when available, but actually not in a hurry.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Picked up a '15 Golf Wagon SE, manual, with lighting back in August pre scandal. Just bought a used (17k miles) '15 Golf SEL, manual, with lighting three weeks ago for my work vehicle. Paid $5k less and lucked into the goodwill package that the previous owner did not receive as they traded just before that announcement!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I'm hoping they start selling the ones with Urea tanks again (at a huge discount) in case there's a buyback frankly. If there's a buyback and they aren't offering TDIs and there are huge incentives to stay with VW I am going to be very annoyed. Non diesel TDIs are pretty zzzzz to me. I like the Golfs, but the wife and kids won't really fit as well as they do in the JSW we have, and a gas Golf doesn't sound appealing at all.
You don't have to worry because there are no non-diesel TDIs. The TDI badge is only used for Volkswagen Group's Turbocharged Direct Injection diesel engines. If it's a VW gasser, it CAN'T be a TDI.

Just sayin'. :)

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Would I purchase a TDI post dieselgate? ABSOLUTELY!! :cool:

Regardless of what happens with dieselgate, I absolutely will not be swayed from owning and driving diesel vehicles and will never own another gasser ever again if I can help it. Absolutely no more gassers! ALL future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles.

I have owned 3 TDIs since 2002, all bought new:
- 02 Golf GLS, with many performance mods, sold in 2010 with only 357k miles on it to a coworker whose son needed a car for college. The 02 Golf is still on the road today at 400k miles.
- 05 PD Jetta Wagen, with many performance mods, sold to TDIclub guru mrchill in 2014 at 160k miles.
- 2010 JSW, sold to mrchill in 2013 with only 102k miles on it.

The only reason why I would not buy a TDI post dieselgate if I could is because I'm driving BMW Advanced Diesel in my 535d and X5 35d. It's hard to want to go back to any VW after getting into a BMW. My X5 35d is the BMW diesel model that "performed as expected" in the ICCT and WVU studies which discovered VW's high NOx emissions. If VW is done with TDIs after the soot from dieselgate finally settles then I am done with VW.

During my TDI ownership I also owned a (used) 2008 Ford F-350 SuperDuty truck with the 6.4L PowerStroke diesel. While I have no buyer's remorse for getting my BMW diesels, I am having some seller's remorse for selling the truck. While not my daily driver, that truck was too d@mn useful! I now wish I had kept it as I am becoming more of a truck guy. If I someday add another diesel vehicle to my all diesel fleet, it may be a diesel pickup truck. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all.

Last edited:

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I bought my first TDI in June and I would definitely buy another one. If mine gets bought back hopefully they would be able to have new ones out that they could sell and I would buy one then. I have 2010 with just under 88,000 on it.

Imanco

TDI
2013 passat TDI SE.... turned in. 2015 Jetta SE
I just Bought a Passat 2013 se TDI, with a little over 35000 for $15000. Add registration and Platinum cover it shoots to 20000. I think i have been dupe, hearing all the news about the recall. I have always dreamed of owning a TD, now that i got one, i feel i might have bought a lemon.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
You need to realize that the impending recall has exactly nothing to do with the quality or reliability of the car - just enjoy it! Lemon implies a problem - the olny problem here is political!

- Tim

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Post dieselgate I will not buy another CR diesel. They are too fragile (pump, turbo, heater core, DEF heater, etc.).

Plus, my 2014 Passat TDI is nothing special especially after spending a few days driving a rented 2016 Nissan Maxima.:cool:

I did just buy a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed for $750 in good running condition that I am going to get in nicer shape for a extra car. When the time is right, my 2014 Passat will be in some other owner's hands.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I've never been a big fan of Volkswagen but I've always loved diesels so I picked up my TDI when I was driving almost 1,000 miles a week in my '91 Cummins.

I had to have a manual transmission and diesel engine and currently VW are the only ones who offer that in America. I will say since owning my car I have come to like VW a lot more (I suppose I was ignorant before, only listening to horror stories) and I would definitely purchase a new TDI in a heartbeat. VW is terrific value for the money you spend, in my opinion. The only way I think I'd venture away from VW is if Mazda or Subaru brought a diesel wagon here with a manual tranny.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I had 3 JSW in past the 12 years. The 2009 was most troublesome of the bunch. So far the 2011 has been troubled free for 141000 miles.