Would you by a new DSG equipped car??

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
frugality said:
I seem to recall someone here saying that 1st gear on the DSG was REALLY short. Basically, just enough to get over the inertia of the car from stand-still, and then it shifts to 2nd.
Yep - 1st to 2nd is early, even in normal mode it's just after the vehicle gets moving.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It has to be, in order to allow the car to 'creep'. There is no torque convertor to allow for a transition from stopped to moving, so they only way to vary any speeds that low would be to slip the clutches, and that is not a good thing, so they put that extra low 1st gear in place. That part seems to work as intended. Little strange, but I bet the other car company's similar gearboxes are the same way (I have not driven any yet, but have been told BMW's version is very similar).

In this way, 1st gear is engaged, and the 1-3-5 clutch is fully engaged at idle speeds. If you pay attention, you can actually 'feel' it engage almost as soon as you take your foot of the brake. So it can creep at a low speed, like a conventional automatic, yet have that clutch totally engaged (no slippage) and not go too fast.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
oilhammer said:
It has to be, in order to allow the car to 'creep'. ..............
Which makes it very interesting when nosing it up to something (bad weather, two cars in small driveway). Remove foot......nothing....creep....brake.....remove foot.....nothing.....creep...brake

A bit disconcerting the first few times, fortunately the driver is relatively adaptable :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, it is definitely a different driving experience. The newer ones actually behave a lot better, too. In 2004, the first ones were really crazy to drive. They have improved a lot.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
It's easy but you do need VAG-COM, I did mine at a GTG two weeks ago. The prior time I found someone that had VAG-COM and I had the tool. (It's $99 or you can make one yourself)