Would you by a new DSG equipped car??

Bartster

My wife and I want to buy a new 2010 Golf Highline wagon (Canada). She will not drive a manual and I am very concerned reguarding reliability of the DSG tranny. I have never owned a VW, but certainly enjoyed the test drive and know the fuel milage would be a great as my wife drives 30,000+kms per year.

Can anyone reading this post give me some level of comfort based on their personal experiance especially reguarding the DSG. Please include the horror stories if you wish as well.

Thanks in advance,

Bartster

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I probably would think about a gas Volkswagen with the "conventional" 6-speed autobox, supplied by Aisin. Not saying I would not buy a DSG, but I would consider all options.

Shame about your wife. How'd she lose a limb?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Bartster said:
My wife and I want to buy a new 2010 Golf Highline wagon (Canada). She will not drive a manual and I am very concerned reguarding reliability of the DSG tranny. I have never owned a VW, but certainly enjoyed the test drive and know the fuel milage would be a great as my wife drives 30,000+kms per year.

Can anyone reading this post give me some level of comfort based on their personal experiance especially reguarding the DSG. Please include the horror stories if you wish as well.

Thanks in advance,

Bartster
I did actually. I have a (USA) 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI approaching 15,000 miles DSG. We have another 2003 Jetta Sedan TDI approaching 131,000 miles 5 spd manual. Best estimated clutch life, well driven/maintained is 400,000 to 500,000 miles. Whenever it needs replacement, the best upgrade currently is the Sach V6 clutch. App cost $650 to $700. This is "code" for: perhaps the oem 5 speed manual is weak, if you do not drive it with longevity in mind.

I think we all share your concerns about the longevity of the DSG. I am looking for @ least 250,000 miles on a set of clutch packs, more miles the better being just fine for me. (DSG internal parts, estimated cost: unknown). So far, it has been literally flawless. We haven't heard too much about the 6 speed manual on the 2009/2010 MY's. So on the DSG for sure, some have been on the recall list. Those not on the recall list; by way of getting the December 2009 DSG warranty extention LTR have had their DSG only warranty extended to 10 years/100,000 miles. So my (OP/ED only) take are the only reasons why they gave it was for PR/marketing purposes only!! VW has a LONG history with being quite parsimonious with the warranties and have a lot of booby traps designed to ping one off the warranty fulfillment in case it should need ...warranty fulfillment. Indeed the warranty on my "worse" MkIV was 4 years/60,000 miles. The 2009 I know for sure has been dropped to 3 years/36,000 miles (40% mileage drop). This is another way of saying they really do not expect to fulfill on the extended warranty with any increasing failure percentages, but IF one does fail between 36,000 miles and 100,000 miles they will take care of it.

Last edited:

theTrucidator

TDI
Jetta TDI 2009
I own a Jetta 09' with a DSG. Just turned 45k for 15 months of ownership. I love this transmission especially when I drive on hilly roads, then I use the Tiptronic. Just miss the paddles on the steering wheel.

Only thing I hate, the TDI engine has a lot of torque and sometimes while shifting, the transmission kick quite a bit. VW says its normal but I think it might be tough on the engine supports.

Other then that @100 kph my engine runs 2000rpm, on a manual tranny it runs abt. 1650 rpm. So if you drive lets says 125 on the highway your engine will run around 2500 rpm. Might be little be hard on fuel consumption.

Have a good one.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I had the same concerns when I bought my Canadian Golf Wagen. When I did some online research, I took comfort in the (internet) fact they have been making DSG's since 1982 in VW's racing division. Not to mention they have had DSG's in Europe for longer than North America.

I am hoping that by this time they have worked all the quirks out. They certainly have had enough miles and Kms logged on these transmissions to find out of any glaring problems.

This was all based on internet information so take it for what it's worth. I haven't confimed any of it.

Sundowner

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Iv'e driven both tranmissions and the DSG is a wonderful replacement for a true autmatic, but it is a poor replacement for a true manual.

DSG may shift 0.2 seconds faster than a stick, but it can't shift between 'sport', 'tiptronic' and 'drive' anywhere near that fast, and that's something I will always be able to beat with a propoer clutch ledal.

l3it3r

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TDI Sportwagen
I personally love my DSG, and wouldn't have considered the JSW with a stick because I drive in DC traffic. I have had many stick vehicles (my jeep is one) and I hate driving it in DC traffic. Plus, for long hauls, the 'auto' part of DSG is amazing :) You can get great mileage from the DSG too if you know how to 'feel' the torque. I think these cars should have boost gauges though so you know when you're in vacuum or boost.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
l3it3r said:
I think these cars should have boost gauges though so you know when you're in vacuum or boost.
AMEN! Even my lowly unreliable 1984 Chrysler Laser Turbo had a boost gauge. It really helped me achieve good fuel economy when on the road. I could eek out 36mpg on that car. I had the 5 speed. You can learn about driving a turbo car when you have a boost gauge. When it was working right, the boost would put you into the trunk at about 2900 rpm.

That said, I would not go through the bother of installing one now because I don't want to mess with a stock unit. It would be nice of them to put it on the option listings.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Been driving TDIs for over 10 years. Had driven the DSG before in a friend's 2004 Bug. Just bought a new JSW with the DSG with no fear. The DSG in my 2010 is wonderful!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I bought my 09 JSW with a DSG due to a shoulder injury. I would buy another. It has worked flawlessly.

Bartster

Thanks for the input all.

Muthafunk, what dealer did you buy from in the GTA? I'm just up the road in Ottawa.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I haven't had any issues with my 06 DSG, it's great in those stop and go uphill ramps. Yet I can still get 48MPG at 70. Even higher if I slow down.
I had a lot of rush hour traffic when I bought mine, now I don't and could go back to a stick.

CTGOLFTDI

TDI
2010 golf DSG 2 door
Yes on the DSG

I did buy a 2010 Golf DSG TDI and have 5500 miles on it and would do it again. Great to have in bumper to bumper traffic and when I smoked a hopped up civic you couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

torquey

Can someone explain why the engine with a DSG would spin 300 rpms more than with the 6 sp manual ?
When we used to have 3, 4 or 5 sp automatics, we always used to blame the higher rmps on the fact that the auto trans had less gears. Now that auto trans tend to get more gears... I don't understand.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
torquey said:
Can someone explain why the engine with a DSG would spin 300 rpms more than with the 6 sp manual ?
When we used to have 3, 4 or 5 sp automatics, we always used to blame the higher rmps on the fact that the auto trans had less gears. Now that auto trans tend to get more gears... I don't understand.
Gearing, as you allude is all over the map. I understand (there is another thread covering this) that the 2009/2010 which has the EXACT same engine specifications has different gearing for 2010. The emphasis is on (higher gearing) better mpg. Indeed the computers are also mapped differently.

Last edited:

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
If you like auto transmissions, you'll love the DSG. Porsche/Audi/VW all use this technology. It costs a bit, but it feels very solid. We'll see after 150K!!!

Ray

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Bartster said:

Thanks in advance,

Bartster
please keep in mind that dsg fluid has to be changed every 40,000 miles and is't around $400 to do it.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
raybo said:
We'll see after 150K!!!
That sums it up pretty well - it would seem to be to early to make a final decision.

Would I? Yep, but then factor in I have a 10yr/100K warranty...........without that my opinion might change :D

Yes, they are "quirky" - especially the neutral at a stop. But as with any different technology it takes some adaptation on the part of the user. Quirks aside it is really good - the fast shifts make gear changes almost seamless. Nothing I've ever seen shifts as smoothly (or fast) I can see why everything that requires instant gear changes uses electronic shifting.

With even motorcycles moving away from manually stirred gearboxes I can see where a "DSG" is the defacto standard.

BeauTDI

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Ha! You guys are funny... Having driven both for years I can honestly say the DSG is a refreshing change. I think it's pretty fun to drive compared to a straight auto or a manual at this point.

Does it act quirky? Maybe a couple of times I've noticed strange gear changes or noises, but otherwise it works perfectly.

Valid point about how it will perform down the road. I hope it lasts... don't know about that part. But my dealer only charges $260 for the 40k DSG service, so that's not a big deal in the long run. I would like to see VW apply the 10 year/100k warrantly to all.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
torquey said:
I seem to recall someone here saying that 1st gear on the DSG was REALLY short. Basically, just enough to get over the inertia of the car from stand-still, and then it shifts to 2nd. That would mean that its other 5 gears would be spread over a wider range than the 6-spd. manual. If that is true, I could see that there might be as much as a 300rpm difference between them at certain speeds.

BeauTDI

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
MPLSTDI- Good point... I've enjoyed doing basic oil changes and hyd filter/fluids on cars and tractors so far... but I'll have to see if this looks routine enough for me! I don't mind paying a little more for someone who really knows what they're doing :)