Would be Carjacker foiled by manual transmission

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Those stories can be somewhat humorous when they pop up. :p
Yet another reason for me to drive a stick.
Actually, I had my car stolen some years ago, they only made it 50 miles though before they burned out the clutch; car was recovered with no other damage... :D

Last edited:

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
^Nobody even tries to borrow that one of ours..... another positive point for a stick. In the Old country everybody can drive a stick.....!?

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Nobody borrows it and nobody steals it. The cheaper purchase price, better fuel economy, and no $400.00 transmission flushes are just bonuses.

BTW what Mensa nominee would steal a Dodge Caliber?

Last edited:

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I often get on my 16 year-old daughter's case about leaving the keys in her car. Her response? "Who's gunna steal it, Dad? ... it's a stick."

Tureq

TDI
Skoda Octavia Combi 1.9TDI -08, VW Jetta 1.9TDI -08
^Nobody even tries to borrow that one of ours..... another positive point for a stick. In the Old country everybody can drive a stick.....!?
True, because you aren't allowed to drive vehicle with manual gearbox unless you pass you driving test with manual gearbox car. So, 99% of people with driving license is taught to drive car with manual gearbox.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I actually had a car stolen from my driveway with absolutely no clutch (Pedal flopped to the floor). They found it on the side of the road with a blown transmission about 20 minutes away.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yet again proving that folks who steal don't have much of anything going on north of the neck . . .

- Tim

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Driving test

I don't think you're even allowed to take a driving test in a manual car around here.
Took my test on a three speed column shift car, I won't even mention the year:D, and my motorcycle test on an 'stretch, that was almost a big mistake:rolleyes:

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone on a Nissan forum had his 6-Speed stick Frontier stolen at gunpoint when the thief entered his office and demanded his keys. The Owner phoned the police and watched from his window as his truck lurched a few times. After a minute, the thief baled out and ran into an empty lot where he hid and was later caught by police.

We own only manual transmission vehicles, which pays another dividend in that my kid has no want to learn how to drive one and get a driver's license.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Nobody borrows it and nobody steals it. The cheaper purchase price, better fuel economy, and no $400.00 transmission flushes are just bonuses.
BTW what Mensa nominee would steal a Dodge Caliber?
You just made my day GCG (purch price/fuel econ/zero DSG $$$).

In other news, my best HS bud - a Mensan - WOULD steal a Caliber (were he a thug - he's actually a geologist who's clueless vis-a-vis things automotive).

Thanks for the re-enforcement, ez