Would appreciate help in pricing a 2002 Jetta w 65K miles

GrampaPete

Veteran Member
SE Wisconsin, between Madison and Milwaukee
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon - SOLD
My sister in law on the west coast is wanting me to sell her 2002 Jetta GL TDI, 5 speed, 65K (!!!) miles. Red with black cloth interior. It has seen 90% city driving. Has been well maintained and has no rust and a few dings. KBB says around $3K...but I wonder if it might be worth more to someone who will put on miles and appreciated a true 50mpg.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks,

Grampa Pete

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
My sister in law on the west coast is wanting me to sell her 2002 Jetta GL TDI, 5 speed, 65K (!!!) miles. Red with black cloth interior. It has seen 90% city driving. Has been well maintained and has no rust and a few dings. KBB says around $3K...but I wonder if it might be worth more to someone who will put on miles and appreciated a true 50mpg.
Would appreciate any input. Thanks,
Grampa Pete
I paid $6700 for a '01 Golf TDI 5 speed with 195K miles a couple years ago. Very glad I did. $3K for that car is ridiculously low if well maintained IMO.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
City driving and low miles if anything scare most of us. I would rather have a car with another 50k+ miles on it that I know has had it's legs stretched. Soot accumulation in the inlet and turbo veins, poor ring seating etc could plague this motor. Diesels are not designed for short drives in the city and do not operate properly until up to temp.

With that said, if it's not going through oil, and the body is in fairly good shape, 5-8K is more accurate. 3K is laughably low, that engine isn't even broken in yet. I'd list it for 7500 if the body is clean, 6500 if anything is mis-aligned/ seriously dented, then move down 500/month if nobody bites. I'd be surprised if it didn't fetch 5+

Last edited:

GrampaPete

Veteran Member
SE Wisconsin, between Madison and Milwaukee
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon - SOLD
Thanks for your help

I think I will buy the car from my sis-in-law for $3K, have the fluids and filters changed and do a timing belt change. Then drive it home to Wisconsin and sell it in the summer.

It is in really nice shape having been driven gently by a very small lady so the interior is excellent...no tears, no smoking, etc.

Thanks for helping me out.

Pete

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yup, flip the couch, do whatever to find $3k. No way can you get a great car like this for $3k (unless it falls into your lap)!

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I think I will buy the car from my sis-in-law for $3K, have the fluids and filters changed and do a timing belt change. Then drive it home to Wisconsin and sell it in the summer.

It is in really nice shape having been driven gently by a very small lady so the interior is excellent...no tears, no smoking, etc.

Thanks for helping me out.

Pete
why would you want to sell it? :confused:

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
It's really up to each individual as to what they're willing to pay. I bought my Desert Jetta (2003 GL) last September and I paid slightly more than what your sister is asking.

Car had 200k on it, but it was all commuter highway miles. Previous owner has just installed new Kerma high mileage TB kit, turbo and Raxles. It was worth it to me because it was rust and corrosion free. Be aware that even though the miles are low, cars these old will need a complete suspension rebuild. In my case, I did springs, wheel bearing, rotors and brakes while rebuilding suspension. Not cheap even if you do all the work yourself.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's really up to each individual as to what they're willing to pay. I bought my Desert Jetta (2003 GL) last September and I paid slightly more than what your sister is asking.

Car had 200k on it, but it was all commuter highway miles. Previous owner has just installed new Kerma high mileage TB kit, turbo and Raxles. It was worth it to me because it was rust and corrosion free. Be aware that even though the miles are low, cars these old will need a complete suspension rebuild. In my case, I did springs, wheel bearing, rotors and brakes while rebuilding suspension. Not cheap even if you do all the work yourself.
Every once in a while a person gets lucky. Prior to this I got a great deal on the son's Golf: the most impeccable 13 year old daily driver car I've ever run across. These two cars make up for my other purchases:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, take it to Wisconsin where it will rust away...:(
My car came from Minnesota. If not for the stupid rusting that happens with built-up material behind the front wheel liners the car is amazingly free of rust: VW did a good job on these cars. I've cleaned out four three other cars, all from here in the PNW and while they're crammed with crap there is zero rust there: daughter's wagon, however has the front fender wheel arch rust issue.