Worth reading

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Replaced the timing belt Saturday at 219k miles using a kit bought from Dieselgeek. I have the timing belt tools, performed the work myself, no problems encountered, my first time replacing a timing belt. I've also purchased the panzer plate from the same place and after finishing installing the timing belt and changing the oil, I've installed the plate.
Less than 24 hours and 50 miles later, Sunday night I was driving peacefully in the middle of a car pack on a 4 lane road when disaster struck: some big chunks of curb concrete were laying in the middle of the road. The pickup truck in front of me swerved and avoided them in the last second, I had no time to react, hit them at 50 mph with the underside of the car; loud noise, the car started to vibrate like crazy. Pulled in a parking lot, realized the guy driving behind me blew two tires as he ran over the concrete blocks. Towed the car home, no fluid leaks, turned on the engine, engine runs OK, transmission OK, but very bad vibration in the cabin. Lifted the car on jacks, the panzer plate was badly mangled, especially by the crankshaft pulley. Removed the plate, vibration gone, the car drives like new, I'm happy.
Lesson learned: buy a skid plate, regardless where you live. I live in a metropolitan area and I drove the car for 219k with no protection; less than 24 hours after installing a plate it saved my car and my wallet. Imagine the damage done to the crankshaft and oil pan hitting those concrete blocks at 50 mph. That would have been the end for my car. No fault insurance on the car. Cops came and said that since it was not a collision with another driver, even if I would had full coverage, the insurance company will see it as my fault anyway and raise my rate.
I'm ordering a new plate and I will post pics of the damage soon.

Last edited:

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Lucky you

People say things happen for a reason. Good job you got the plate on. You should have bought a lottery ticket. Never know how far the good luck will go.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
That's what insurance is for
Hmm ... on a <$4000 blue book value car?

That's what chaps me about this diesel gate nonsense ... the "non affected" cars ... affected. Don't his a possum! Been there, done that. $3800 repair. Insurance covered it, minus deductible, of course ... but that's when it was valued at >$20K.

This sounds like "total loss" damage just like my possum collision would be today.

OP, great job on the plate. I've been threatening to do the same thing next oil change. Perhaps I shouldn't wait. :eek: