Worse fuel economy after timing belt change.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I changed the belt and all components on my mk5 BRM tdi. I’m noticing about 1-3 mpg worse than before and the weather has even gotten warmer since then. So it’s probably even worse. My torsion value prior to the belt change was -1.5. After the belt change is at +0.49. I thought this timing variation would improve economy since I thought the best was between -.5 and +.5. What should I adjust this to?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Torsion seems to be individual to each engine as far as "sweet spot". I would change it back to -1.5 and re-evaluate your MPG

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Torsion seems to be individual to each engine as far as "sweet spot". I would change it back to -1.5 and re-evaluate your MPG
Should’ve figured as much. I drive lots but it takes a good week to go through a tank so I will report back with some results.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
A bit of reading for ya:

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thankyou everyone for your insight, I filled up a few days after this post and then went through one more tank to be sure, and it appears that I had an unrelated issue for my fuel economy. My culprit was the ziptie is use for the wastegate actuator, which seems to plague these BRM engines, it was broken when I replaced my timing belt, and I forgot to replace it. The boost was surging and peaking during random drive events that required no boost, so I know for a fact that it was taking a hit on my mileage. I replaced it a few days after this post and have consistently gotten BETTER fuel economy before the belt change and when the ziptie wasn't broken. So that solves it! Consistent average is now about 55mpg, used to be about 51-52 in the summer, and the temps right now still haven't warmed up to what they would be in summer time and still have cold spells, so it may get even better. We will find out!

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
That mileage is with those bigger Canadian gallons, correct?
No that’s US gallons. Canadian/UK gallons, I’m getting over 60mpg. Best so far was 68mpg on a road trip last year. I’m a few mpg away from that number on my mainly highway work commute in wet spring time so I’m hoping for 70 on my road trips this summer.