Working on my personal best tank FE

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
So far 380+ miles on this tank. Gauge is showing 5/8 remaining and the MFD2 is at 50.1 mpg. I know this isn't exciting to you guys with the pre-CR cars, but if I can maintain this till the tank it done, it will be my first 50mpg tank! :cool:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I've never gotten a 50 mpg tank on my PD. Got a few on the my 2001, but it was all highway driving on long trips.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I had 1 50mpg tank on my 2010 MKV going across NC from west to east all highway. Best tank on the Passat so far is 44.9.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
My tank averages have mostly been in the 47-49mpg range in my 2012 Passat, just haven't been able to creep into the 50mpg range.....my wife always takes it shopping in the city and ruins my efforts:D Now straight highway, I've experienced 55-60 mpg's in the right conditions.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Good driving nick. I am also looking to get 50mpg for a tank. I was doing very good on my way to it but today was very cold for my 55 mile commute. I think that may have busted it. I fill up on way home and will find out. I predict 49 to maybe 49.5 mpg.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Today was cooler here today as well, and I did a lot of stop and go driving. Mfd2 is down to about 49.3. I'll fill up tomorrow or Wednesday. That will tell the truth....

If I don't get 50 this tank I'll keep trying....

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the results are in! I filled up today and hand calculated I got 50.15mpg!! Whoo hooo a new personal best!

To achieve this I drove the whole tank at the speed limit, tires at 40 psi, anticipated red lights and kept momentum up, the other thing I did was avoid idling as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for the congrats! :)

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Nice Nick! That puts my personal best tank average of 35.1 MPG to shame :D

How much Freeway/Back Road/City driving do you do?

I will never see that kind of mileage, as I rarely drive freeways, mostly just City and Back Roads. I also often get stuck in traffic....Oh well!

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Whiplash, I drive in near ideal conditions. I do a lot of state hwy driving through rural areas, some interstate hwy, and less in town. I am an outside sales rep and I usually make my first stop the furthest point, then work back towards the house. If you add some purposeful granny driving and air up the tires to 40psi to this mix you get good mileage.

When the heat hits around here and I am running the A/C full blast my numbers drop considerably.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I backed up the best tank above with my second best tank at 48.9mpg. I couldn't drive with the same restraint I did on the best one. :)

TDIMcChanic

TDI
02 Jetta
Congrats! I usually end up having to pull the trailer so that eliminates the possibility that I break 50 :( even with a 2002.

kay.DIESLpwr

TDI
2012 Jetta, DSG
My tank averages have mostly been in the 47-49mpg range in my 2012 Passat, just haven't been able to creep into the 50mpg range.....my wife always takes it shopping in the city and ruins my efforts:D Now straight highway, I've experienced 55-60 mpg's in the right conditions.
lol @ your wife.
hey gergg, how many miles do you have on your passat?

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the congrats!

The next two tanks were 46.8 and 46.05. This was driving spirited with a little A/C use here and there. Can't drive like granny all the time you know.... :)

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
lol @ your wife.
hey gergg, how many miles do you have on your passat?
We've got 15,500 miles now.....my wife is actually pretty good about being conservative on the go-pedal, just takes extra vigilance to get 50+ mpg's. Hey, just got my first 50+mpg tank, it did have a bunch of highway miles(at 75mph). I know that I could get 55+mpg/tank on straight highway at 65mph, I've done it several times now on 2-3 hundred mile stretches.