Workin the TDI!

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Took a quick snowmobile trip to northern Michigan last weekend trying to catch the snow before it melted. My buddies truck needed new tires so I towed the trailer with his snowmobile...

It is a steel trailer, at least 1,000 lbs with the sled, notice the complely vertical salt shield? I will not bore most of you with details of the trip. Anyway, what everyone might be interested in:

~700 miles
620 were highway miles at 77MPH (indicated)
Average EGT was around 800-900
Hills were 950-1,050
Held full throttle up the biggest hill until 90MPH and reached 1,300F
Never left fifth gear unless I had too because of traffic on the way home
28MPG

I'm sure I could get much better MPG at slower speeds. You get the weirdest looks from full size trucks towing trailers when you pass them up hill in a VW Golf!:D

Jason

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I've seen pics of Ripster's Golf towing a covered double wide!
I'm not towing super far....like 10 miles but I've been getting 1500 pounds of corn in my 5x8 trailer behind the Beetle.....Still getting better mileage than my Grand Caravan!

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
I pull an 800# trailer with my 600# Kawasaki ZZR1200 and a fully loaded trunk/back seat with no problems. The TDI is a great engine for towing. That kinda sounds funny to me :D

On a flat highway I can get mid to upper 40's at highway speeds. I try not to go over 80MPH because my trialer tires are rated for 65.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
dabear95 said:
1,500lbs of corn?

Pellets for heat or feed??
:D Heat man, Heat!:D Though I gotta admit all these yahoo's wanting cheap E-85 are really screwing with the prices!!!:mad: