Wmo. Free

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Gone

FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Before I left CA a few years ago the oil companies actually paid us pretty well to take used oil off our hands.

Might call a distributor, if there are no takers here, and see if they will take it.

Jason

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
when the price of oil tanked recently they stopped paying for used oil here
in fact, a lot of companies started charging a pickup fee to even come out

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that thought did occur to me. But then CA started paying us to turn it in for recycling to prevent it being dumped. We used it to keep dust down on driveways and dirty roads (driveway alone is 1 mile long and subject to heavy traffic during harvest). Longer lasting than constantly driving around with a water truck wetting roads to keep dust down.

Jason

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes. We use a calcium chloride solution in water to keep the dust down around here. That's fairly nasty too, but not nearly as bad as wmo.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yikes. We use a calcium chloride solution in water to keep the dust down around here. That's fairly nasty too, but not nearly as bad as wmo.
everyone used oil in the 70s

actually you think about it we still do use oil, it's just thicker oil than drains from most crankcases

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Times have changed. I hope Jason was referring to some period in the distant past (such as the 70's).

Yeah, gotta love the rainbow sheen that comes off fresh asphalt. I always feel bad for the road crews doing paving in the summer. That has got to be one of the worst jobs out there.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, we put filtered waste oil on our driveway as recent at mid '90s. Some times it almost looked paved.

We also tried a substance for treating gravel roads. It was supposed to pull moisture from the air to keep dust down. In practice not enough humidity in NorCal during the summer for it to be effective, but it did turn into a mud slog during winter until the stuff finally dissipated.

With water shortages it becomes lesser evils - EPA comes after you for dumping waste oil, water district fines you for illegal uses of water, or code fines you for the massive dust problem. Chose your poison.

Right before I left they got a couple loads of left over asphalt from a paving project. Boss was/is friends with local trucking company. They get stuck with a load of hot mix at end of shift and have to dump it before it cools and sets in the trucks. We take it off their hands. No, didn't pave the road (would only have been a few yards of a 1 mile long drive). But mixed into gravel it does cut down the dust considerably.

Jason

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's calcium chloride that pulls moisture from the air and resists evaporation. I can sympathize with the dust issue. My road was quite dusty at times until they paved it a couple years ago. It didn't get the CaCl treatment. But using wmo (filtered or otherwise, lol) for that purpose is criminal. I've had some spills myself, mostly from blown hydraulic hoses. I do my best to dig up the contaminated soil and incinerate it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope,
With water shortages it becomes lesser evils - EPA comes after you for dumping waste oil, water district fines you for illegal uses of water, or code fines you for the massive dust problem. Chose your poison.

Jason

Thats California fot you. The rosiest intentions pushed with no common sense.

Example. We have "oil collection places" here... Great... Autozone, napa... On and on. Sounds great. Just try to bring it in."Were Full sorry come back next week. BTW Ca recycle centers not only dont take but when asked dont have a clue where to take oil.

So what happens to the average Joe? An acumulation. Typical collection center answer, " Sorry we cant take that much, but you can get a temparary epa license and pay $100 plus a barrel to get rid of it"

Me thinks not.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
But using wmo (filtered or otherwise, lol) for that purpose is criminal.
ehhhhhh I dunno man
Just got the feeling that there's a million other things that'll destroy the earth before oiling dirt roads (provided it's actually used engine/trans/diff oil and not chemical plant waste like that one town got all wrecked over)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've found there is somewhat of a generational factor in what we deem acceptable pollution. When I was in my early twenties I worked on an organic farm for an extremely interesting family. Ted was a 70 year old Korea war vet(though he didn't talk about it) who had a college degree in ag. He had managed some very large operations- sugar cane in Hawaii, opium poppies in Iran, celery in Florida among others. He was an extremely enlightened guy. But when his outdoor fuel tank was slowly leaking tens of gallons of fuel just meters upslope from one of the tomato houses, he was mostly unconcerned. I tightened the leaking fitting after a while to stop the damage. There were several other kids my age working there at the time, and none of us were happy about it.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
The waste oil was mostly used diesel oil from all the ag equipment that was serviced. A couple of gas motorcycles and pickups and the occasional repair from hydraulic system. Nothing else I can remember got dumped in there.

Simple spreader was PVC pipe with holes drilled every inch or so. A couple hundred gallon tank (barrel?) with a ball valve at the bottom. Whole thing on a trailer and pulled with small tractor. Put in a low gear, start rolling, open the valve and roll until the tank was empty. Or pull the rope tied to the valve to stop it.

Crude but it was very effective. The road in question had been there many decades and even shows up on Google maps as public road. Only half of the road between paved county roads is gravel and used extensively, while the other half is simple dirt track. We had to install a gate and close it during winter rains so people wouldn't drive out and get stuck. Tow trucks won't help because their lines are only so long and they don't want to get stuck, too. And we didn't go out when it was all wet because the tractors would make a huge mess. People got mad they couldn't get their car back for several days.

Welcome to farm life.

Jason

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cars used to get stuck fairly regularly on our road in mud season(spring). In fact, my parents nearly didn't make it to the hospital in time for my delivery. My father got his two stroke Saab mired driving back from the hospital alone later that day.

Here's what some fellow farmers have to say about dust suppression methods today:

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=577400&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=787408&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Welcome to farm life.Jason
Kudos to the farms (and farmers) of America. Its the greener than thou's that don't give balanced common sense alternatives (reality) a chance to happen. east coast/west coast are all feed by guess who. Yes things have changed for the better, not perfect yet sure

This thread was started because over zealous (fill in the blank) individuals in the epa want what they want truly without a way to get there (oil collection as prime example). This angelic Im so green is getting to much.

This thread needs to close. O.P. Oil gone to a probable black diesel Mercedes. Best alternative good ol' Ca. gave. nuff said

Last edited:

WVO_Austin_TX_Steve

TDI
2005 Golf
I am looking for someone in Austin TX that wants to adopt my WVO sources. I am retiring and moving from Texas. It is pretty clean to start with as it was just used to fry fish or french fry's a few times. I screen out the bread crumbs, let it settle, then filter it. My filters last over 20K miles. if you are interested please email me. srh2pjh (at) pobox.com