Without further ado...

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
She arrived at the dealer yesterday. TDI SEL DSG quartz gray interior with lighting package. I'm stuck at work and My dealer is not open on Sundays so I don't get her till Monday afternoon. I will post more pics then.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I absolutely agree!!!
Nice wheels too

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Congratulations. I'm sorry to be captain bring down but I don't think this light car is safe with the bigger wheels and tires. The physics don't support them. Whatever slight pluses they have for efficiency etc. are out weighed when the tires bounce and loose traction. I hope the gurus here back me up. I think you should return them.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
More tire= more bounce
More rim= more road feel, less bounce, less cushion

At least in my experience......

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congratulations. I'm sorry to be captain bring down but I don't think this light car is safe with the bigger wheels and tires. The physics don't support them. Whatever slight pluses they have for efficiency etc. are out weighed when the tires bounce and loose traction. I hope the gurus here back me up. I think you should return them.
So now TDIs that come with 18" wheels from the factory are unsafe?

Also, there is no efficiency gain with bigger wheels and tires. Upsizing actually hurts fuel economy, not to mention increases the cost of tire replacement.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I think your an idiot

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought the 18" was an optional bigger size. Never mind then.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Nice wheels , just ignore those "smarts" talking about bigger wheels , they are not bigger. If 18 were unsafe they wouldnt put them on gtis and Rs

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Wow! There is a whole lot of misinformation in this thread! Enjoy your factory standard 18" wheels, which are no bigger in diameter than any of the smaller size wheel and tire sets on the SE, S and launch edition models.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
So now TDIs that come with 18" wheels from the factory are unsafe?

Also, there is no efficiency gain with bigger wheels and tires. Upsizing actually hurts fuel economy, not to mention increases the cost of tire replacement.
The Golf TDI comes with 16, 17 and 18" tires (the gasser has a 15"), correct? If so, although the tire diameter may not change, the weight of the tire and rim is more on an 18 than 15, correct? They are low profile (shorter sidewall) and heavier (thicker and wider) and more expensive.

A C&D article says bigger tires have better traction but worse 0-60 and efficiency. No mention of other safety concerns until the 19" and mention of "taxing the suspension and worse handling".

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

A cartalk says low profile tires have better handling but are more likely to undergo serious road hazard damage due to low profile

http://blog.nwautos.com/2011/06/are_low_profile_tires_just_as_safe.html

I'm still thinking that carefully chosen 16" with the best traction and handling ratings are a better choice than 18".

Last edited:

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok ok back on track here. This car is awesome!! I'm so happy. Got a killer deal too. The Quartz gray interior is nice. I like it much better than the black. And for what it's worth. I took a 270 degree on ramp in my mk6 tdi just hours before I did it in this car and I felt no difference between the two with comparison of IRS and TB. Definitely gotta get her tinted.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Like the grey. The blue seems to be a big winner

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Asmerrill, Congrats on the car. Like the color in and out :). Best of luck with it.

ssamalin, I bought my car and liked what it came with(18's). Opted to put winter tires and wheels on and went with 16's. Car handles better with 18's and looks better, but for winter use I feel the 16's worked better(thinner), and may off set winter MPG's loss being lighter. All else, I wasn't going to take my 14' SEL and put 16's on for any gain over 18's between Spring-Fall.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Are those just the seats? No other gray? Inside the car? Man i should of done a little more homework.. Oh well, nothing i cant change out later.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I love my gray two tone interior as well. Only available on the SEL's so it makes it a little bit special. I think it goes well with the car. Very happy with that decision.

I love the blue exterior just didn't know how hard it would be to keep clean.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
Are those just the seats? No other gray? Inside the car? Man i should of done a little more homework.. Oh well, nothing i cant change out later.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes sir, just the seats.

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
I love my gray two tone interior as well. Only available on the SEL's so it makes it a little bit special. I think it goes well with the car. Very happy with that decision.

Do you have the cornsilk blue?

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI

The silk blue metallic is real easy to keep looking good. I'm little over 4 weeks now, and have yet to wash it. I drive in the rain almost daily ... It's got a haze of dust/rain spray on it, and still looks good.
Spoke with a bloke at the supermarket the other day; he had the midnight blue or what it's called, and regretted the color choice, showed every speckle...