wisc tdi owners

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Madison here. :D

I have a feeling by that time I may be burned out on guns.

Anybody wanna do a GTG May 13-15 at Road America for the Vintage car races?

Camp in the carousel? ( Bring your Top Gear caravan for the contest.) :D
I'll be on Road America with my GTO on April 30/May 1st. :D

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
New to the forum, new to TDI's, new to VW's
In Rice Lake
Have a 99 Jetta TDI, all stock, not even 2 tanks burned yet.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Wonky:

Welcome to Fred's! Is your '99 an A3 or A4 chassis? Just curious?

Dan

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I honestly have no idea, the dealer guy (who SEEMED to know a little bit about them) said it was the second body style for that year. But other then that I have no idea, it's my first VW, so I have no idea how to tell.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Does it look similar to this?

Or this?

Both of those are 1999 Jettas. The second one is the early body style, and the first one is the later body style.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Wonk:

A4 body then. Cool. Although it's still a 1999 model the first A4's released in 1999 were referred to as 1999.5's. Don't know why VW releases their new models like that because it really complicates things having 2 different body styles in a single model year. I guess it's just another thing where you gotta say "VW happens". Hope to meet you at one of the future Wisconsin GTGs.

Dan

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
Good news everybody, mine is finally paid off and a year and a half early too. The bad news is all the electronics are going on it, no blower, esp, seat heat, and the phantom lighting module bug (it comes and goes). How does a car always know when its paid off?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There are none planned yet.

Usually none until the weather is nice.

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Just checkin in from Racine. I never noticed this thread.

I hope the weather clears up soon cuz i have been stock piling some new parts for my Golf. Cant wait to put them on.
11mm pump
pd150 intake
magna flow muffler
new vacuum lines
new engine mounts

then i will probably need a new TB in about 10-13K.

@Jason-How far out are you booked?

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Guz:

You still driving to Burr Ridge every day for work? I may have to nominate you for a "Road Warrior" award if there is such a thing:D.

Carl:

Congrats on paying it off early. Now you can start paying yourself with the money that used to go toward the car payment.

Wonk:

Keep watching this forum for future GTGs. You'll find somthing before too long.

Dan

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Dan,
everyday except for today. My little golf was buried with in snow in my driveway. I am averageing about 150 miles/day doing that drive. I can do it in my sleep now. Do you frequent 294 during rush hours? I see lots of TDIs. A new one I have seen recently is a silver A3 Jetta with WI tags. It goes to the same building i do everyday.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Guz:

Wow, you are a road warrior! No, I don't get on I-294 unless I'm on the way to Wisconsin (outlet malls) or a GTG in Michigan or Ohio. Sometimes to go to the boneyards down in Indiana too, but they have not had any good pickins lately.

Dan

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Two weeks into my TDI owning experience, my car died and left me stranded along the side of the freeway, so now I don't know what to do. Some people suggest that I change the fuel
filter, the fuel may be gelled, or timing is off. I really hate to ask this, but is there anyone in the NW WI area that would be willing to check it out and tell me what may be wrong with it? I can compensate for the time spent/fuel used.

-Rob

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Two weeks into my TDI owning experience, my car died and left me stranded along the side of the freeway, so now I don't know what to do. Some people suggest that I change the fuel
filter, the fuel may be gelled, or timing is off. I really hate to ask this, but is there anyone in the NW WI area that would be willing to check it out and tell me what may be wrong with it? I can compensate for the time spent/fuel used.

-Rob
Check your 109 relay. If it's original to your car, it may be bad and just needs to be replaced. That relay malfunctioning is actually a common problem. IIRC, that relay controls power to your ECU which can cause the car to stall when the power cuts out. I'm pretty sure you can get a new relay for under $20 from a dealer.

That relay is located under the dash in a cluster of other relays. You might have to take off some trim pieces to see it.

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I'm pretty sure its not the relay 109, because the glow plug light comes on. So that leaves an issue with the fuel or timing.

-Rob

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
wonky,
does it crank?
does fire or just keep cranking?
any other details that might be relative?
I havent heard of fuel gelling too often, but it is possible.

did the previous owner indicate any problems with the car? I wonder why you were only able to get 30 mpg on ur first tank.

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
The mileage was user stupididty. And if you mean crank, it turns over. I bough the car from a dealer said the timing belt had been changed just before I bought it.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Wonk:

Any unusual noises before the car stopped? Were you driving along and it just quit?

Dan

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Wonk:
Any unusual noises before the car stopped? Were you driving along and it just quit?
Dan
I was cruising along, listening to the radio, and it just stopped. I didn't hear any unusual noises before it lost power.

On a side note. Today I replaced the fuel filter, primed it, and still....nothing

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Wonky - You mentioned that the Tbelt was done. Did the dealership that told you this say who did it? With the timing belts. There are 2 important questions to ask. Was it done? and Who did it?

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
They did it, I bought it from a little import shop/dealer. I assumed they were knowledgeable and know what they're talking about seeing as 3/4 of the people that work there drive TDI's

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Does it sound like it is turning FASTER. Well did it before you cranked out the battery? If it does then they botched the TB job and it has smashed the lifters. I suggest coming to me. Look for paint marks on the pulleys and the timing case around the T-belt.

The anti-shudder valve could be stuck shut as well. It on the intake the little black vacuum pot in the back. The arm should be all the way out toward the passenger side.

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I've already checked the Anti-shudder Valve, and it wasn't stuck shut. Another question too, when I turn the car over, with the fuel line off of the filter, shouldn't some fuel squirt out? My car isn't doing that :(

And Jason, the only problem with coming to you, is to I would have to trailer it about 230 miles to get to you.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've already checked the Anti-shudder Valve, and it wasn't stuck shut. Another question too, when I turn the car over, with the fuel line off of the filter, shouldn't some fuel squirt out? My car isn't doing that :(
Negatory. Your injection pump sucks fuel out of the tank - there isn't an electric pump in the tank pushing fuel to the IP. Pull off the timing belt cover and check for paint marks like Jason said. Good luck! :)