Wiring questions...Got Bentely?

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
Hey I don't know if anyone could help, but I'm trying to figure out how I can cut away the minmal wiring to run my TDI MIL-free in a swap recipient.
A little background, currently the entire A3 wiring harness and drivetrain are in my '91 Jetta.
I'm transplanting this stuff to a new recipient, but I'd like to just take what i need (as it is now, the '91 jetta has been retrofitted with almost every shred of wiring from the original)
At any rate, can anyone provide help on how to do this (or at least the wiring diagrams from a '98 so I could studyand try to figure something out?
Thanks in advance for any help. --Chris

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Your best bet is to buy a Bentley manual for an A3 so you have all of the electrical diagrams handy. You'll need that manual anyways to cover engine repairs. Should be well under $100, also check Ebay, prices for these older manuals have been decreasing due to people upgrading to newer cars.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Post a WTB on vwvortex.com in the A3 for sale section. Those kids are always selling stuff cheap. I paid $25 for my A3 Bentley manual.

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
I'll do that... Honestly, I don't know if the diagrams will even help (so confusing) but its worth a look. Thanks

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Yes, European wiring diagrams can be difficult to follow but there are some secrets which make it easier. First, read the explanation of how to read the diagrams at the beginning of the wiring diagram section (I didn't find this until after staring at the diagrams for a few hours--grrr). This explains many of the small details on the diagrams (track numbers, etc).

Then, go to a copy center and copy off the diagrams you need on 11x17" paper, and maybe make 2-3 copies (in case you spill coffee on one of them later).

Then, come home, get out your magnifying glass and colored highlighting pens and start tracing out circuits. What I do is use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil and write out the function of lines (wires) which go off to another page so I don't have to keep flipping pages to see where they go.

Yes, it will take some time, but when you are finished, you will be an "expert" on your engine wiring, and you'll have some handy marked-up copies of the diagrams which you can use again later. After this, if you still have questions on specific wires or circuits, post back and we'll do our best to answer.

Going back a few years, I remember that my dad bought the entire set of factory shop manuals and wiring diagrams for the '71 Ford LTD that I grew up in--those wiring diagrams were on D-size paper and were really easy to follow. I remember the first time I found them folded up and tucked away with the manuals--it was like I found a treasure map (yes, duh, I'm an admitted car geek)!