Wiring (HELP) for Power Drivers Seat

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
Okay. Serious, SERIOUS question time!

Do power seats sit higher than manual seats?

I feel like I'm driving around sitting on a pool raft.

Theories:
1. Power seats sit higher to accommodate the motors.
2. My Ass derived seat foam molding powers are just out of this world and my old seat cushion was perfectly crushed to match my anatomy.

I'm not sure which one I'm hoping for.

Do swap back to my old seat? Do I swap seat cushions? Do I drive around patiently giving my powerful butt a chance to sensuously sculpt the seat cushion over time (all the while feeling like I'm balancing on a pool float)? How many licks DOES it take to get to the center?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Okay. Serious, SERIOUS question time!

Do power seats sit higher than manual seats?

I feel like I'm driving around sitting on a pool raft.

Theories:
1. Power seats sit higher to accommodate the motors.
2. My Ass derived seat foam molding powers are just out of this world and my old seat cushion was perfectly crushed to match my anatomy.

I'm not sure which one I'm hoping for.

Do swap back to my old seat? Do I swap seat cushions? Do I drive around patiently giving my powerful butt a chance to sensuously sculpt the seat cushion over time (all the while feeling like I'm balancing on a pool float)? How many licks DOES it take to get to the center?
It's actually the opposite. The power seats can lower in the front. Your manual seats only lower in the back. The front is fixed.

Did you adjust the front part of your seat down? Sorry to ask.

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
Yeah I moved both the front and back of the seat all the way down but that just makes me feel like I'm sliding off a beach ball. It must just be that the cushion is in relatively new shape. I'll have to camp out in my car for a few weeks and bounce up and down to break in the cushion.

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Guys, I really need your help in making my seats memory to work. I have retrofit them around 2 years ago, but until now I wasn't so interested in using the memory feature. I have tried the Skoda procedure, also Passat one. I cannot make my module to beep, so to "tell" me that it had memorised the position. All connections are OK, I have no faults in any module. The car is an Seat Toledo 2001, the seats were taken also from a Toledo same year (Ebay sell). I do not know anything about their history - if the memory worked on the original car. In the measuring blocks, group 005, second block, I see a group of 3 digits. First is for power supply presence, second is reverse gear engaged, third is"initialisation". I never saw this one turning to "1", meaning the memory is not initialised. I have moved the driver seat forward and backward until limit reached, but still nothing. Can anybody give me some tips about this? What else can I do to make memory work? Here is a scan of the module:
Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr Labels: 3B1-959-760.lbl
Part No: 3B1 959 760
Component: Sitzverstellung FS 0001
VCID: EAD1E2B596CA006A51-5102

No fault code found.

Last edited:

spitdi

TDI
2002 Golf
Great thread. I am installing a pair of leather heated power seats. I have the power working fine, but would like the memory function. I have a 2002 Golf, and so far I have the high and low BUS wired in, but am having trouble finding the "k wire" behind my radio. As far as I can tell it isn't there. Are there other places I could connect to?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Great thread. I am installing a pair of leather heated power seats. I have the power working fine, but would like the memory function. I have a 2002 Golf, and so far I have the high and low BUS wired in, but am having trouble finding the "k wire" behind my radio. As far as I can tell it isn't there. Are there other places I could connect to?
If you have a double-din radio, then it won't have a k line. You can also find the k line at the obd connector under the dash. See post #91.
Greg

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I'm currently working on the memory seat and mirror install on my Jetta. I ripped the entire memory seat/mirror harness from a junkyard 01 Passat GLX (I got the seats from a 2000 Jetta GLX) and noticed that the power wires from each seat go to their own 30amp fuse under the relay panel, but the wiring diagram in this thread shows the power wires from each seat connecting together and then going into a single 30amp fuse, which I assume is also the way it came on a Jetta GLX from the factory.

So should I wire up the power for the seats as it was in the car I got it from(01 Passat), or how it's shown here?

Thanks

mk4_

TDI
jetta
My friend you have some discipline. i took apon myself to accept this challenge.
I gutted a jettta glx for the whole interior.
Im pulling the harness. I got all the way to under the dash. Where it gets really complicated.
can you help me out with where do i wire it up to. I carefully looked at your diagram. But my lack
of knowledge on circle schematics. But red plug has three cables. Red/white (power) Orange (ground) Brown for the memory? The brown cluster has 8 cables. Im going to send pictures in the morning.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Digging this one up from the grave...

I pulled up the trim at the bottom of the driver's side door and ran the harness under the carpet along the existing body harness then over to the existing airbag/seatbelt harness under the driver's seat, then over the hump between the shifter and e-brake to the existing airbag/seatbelt harness under the passenger's seat. For a more professional looking installation, run the harness through the black plastic accordion hose that the existing wires pass through from the carpet up to each seat. Removing the existing cloth tape spiralling around each accordion hose and forcing the harness through the tiny slit in the hose took me a surprising amount of time, but it keeps the wires out of harms way and looks a lot neater.
I'm in the process of retrofitting heated seats (two cars, but working on the first one). I have a wiring harness from Kufatec.

I understand the basic routing, but the execution, even with the above description, eludes me.

How does one get the wire harness to run under the carpet from the door sill area? I find the carpet rather tight. I do have the sill trim removed (back to the "B" pillar). Not sure if I want to spend all the time like Greg did above. What do most folks do?

Also, how does one route the passenger side harness (as it branches off of the driver's side)?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
How does one get the wire harness to run under the carpet from the door sill area? I find the carpet rather tight. I do have the sill trim removed (back to the "B" pillar). Not sure if I want to spend all the time like Greg did above. What do most folks do?

Also, how does one route the passenger side harness (as it branches off of the driver's side)?
Are your seats in or out? It's been a little over 6 years since I did this mod so I can't remember now if I did the wiring while the seats were out (or at least off their rails) but I suspect that they were out. That should allow you to lift up the carpet more. You may need to remove the e-brake center console so that you can route the passenger side wires under the carpet there. I do remember struggling a bit to route the wires under the carpet, but pretty much every repair on this rusty old car involves a struggle with something or other.

Good luck!

P.S. The heated seats are still working great. I've been using them this weekend. Right now it's only 11 degrees out.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! Thanks for the reply!

Yes, seats are out (well, right now only the driver's seat because I'm just starting to work on it).

I'm thinking that maybe employing a fish tape might make things easier. Tape up the connector really good so that it doesn't snag.

I don't think that I'm in the mood to try and snake it inside the tunnel(?) piece. Seems like running on the backside (keeping away from the crash sensor on the front side) might make the most sense.

If I was only doing one car I might look to be more tidy. With two cars to do I'm needing to conserve my energy:)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Once you remove the seats, center console and door sill trim the carpet is loose (it is tucked under the seat rails but is easily popped out from underneath). When I installed my memory seat wiring I simple freed the carpet and propped it up from the floor with a small block of wood to run the wires.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, sounds like the real slack comes from removing the console.

Do I need to completely remove the door sill trim? I've popped it loose up to the "B" pillar. (I suppose I should learn how to remove this piece because the passenger side one in the wife's car needs to be replaced! a PO busted it)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So, sounds like the real slack comes from removing the console.

Do I need to completely remove the door sill trim? I've popped it loose up to the "B" pillar. (I suppose I should learn how to remove this piece because the passenger side one in the wife's car needs to be replaced! a PO busted it)
Yes, I would just remove it all. It simply pops straight up.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
I am glad to see my post has helped so many VW Jetta TDI owners get power/memory seats.

I do not post much on the TDIClub site but we do still have our 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, and it has 155k miles. Other than routine maintenance has been a great car. :cool:

McPikie

TDI
Mk4 golf
Hey guys, Phil here from not so sunny UK. I've recently acquired a set of heated, power and memory recaros. These will be going in my 2003 1.8t Sport Estate/wagon. The car is currently just cloth manual seats. When I bought the recaros I was given a loom of sorts, but it's been chopped to remove from the previous car, so I need some assistance to guide me what goes to where.

Drivers seat

Heated switches and loom (I assume these are simply plug n play and they take power from the power loom once installed?)

Power wires I think? One has 3 wires, one has 2. Where do I connect these to on the car? I've read in the post about seat modules needed, do I already have one in the car or do I need to buy one extra?

I assume that this is the memory function wire? Ideally I'd like to get this installed as the missus sometimes uses the car and as she's a hobbit, it takes quite the squeeze to get back in

If anyone could give me a little guidance in very simplistic terms, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

McPikie

TDI
Mk4 golf
Ok so I am going to leave the heated loom for now and buy a fresh one from Kufatec as I cannot figure out what wire goes where. However, I think I have my head around the power function, with one of the 3 wires (I think the thinner one) going to 75x under the dash. But the other 2 wires are the same gauge and I cannot distinguish which is to go to 30 and which is ground as the plugs have no numbers on

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
For starters my car is a 2002 Jetta wagon TDI GLS, I have purchased the seats with 24 inches of wiring still attached, the power window motors, the memory mirrors, and the entire wiring harness from each door. this all came from a 2002 Jetta wagon VR6 GLX.

It turns out my left "memory" mirror was not memory and must have been replaced with the wrong part previously on the donor car. I am sourcing a left memory mirror as we speak.

I could use a little clarification on the brown plug wiring from the drivers seat.

What I understand about the brown connector at the moment:
1. Pin 1 should go to K-diagnosis wire (grey / white) in the instrument panel wiring harness
2. Pin 9 is High Bus and should be connected to the Orange / green wire in the black connector near hood release
3. Pin 10 is Low Bus and should go to orange / brown wire in the black connector near hood release
4. Pin 8 Black / blue wire goes to reverse switch for mirror dip.

If I am wrong in any of the above please correct me.

That leaves a few more questions:
1. Pin 9 and 10 should connect to wires at the black connector in the lower A pillar near hood release (Instrument Panel wiring?), Pin 1 reads in this thread to connect to grey / white wire in the instrument panel harness. Is the connection for pin 1 in the same connector as pins 9 and 10? If not where is this grey / white wire easily accessed?
2. Are Pins 1, 9, and 10 all tapping into an existing circuit leaving those circuits intact and just connecting to them?
3. Is the reverse dip connection from pin 8 just looking for 12V+ from the reverse switch?

That leaves 6 of the 10 wires in the brown plug unanswered for. I would like to believe that would leave 3 wires to the left memory mirror and 3 wires to the right memory mirror. The problem is the heated non memory power mirrors have 5 wires and the memory mirrors have 9 wires leaving 4 wires on the mirror for memory and not 3 as I thought which would indicate there is something missing here.

Does anyone have a drawing or schematic of the wires from the memory mirrors to the seat?

I very likely could be wrong here but I was under the impression the power window motors were somehow connected in the memory seat wiring. Do the memory mirrors have wires that go directly to the seats brown plug or are the power window motors involved at all?

I have a Bentley manual but I always spend more time trying to find the appropriate schematic than reading it. If someone knows the page / schematic I need to be looking at please let me know.

Is there any coding to be done with VCDS to finish this project?

Last edited:

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I may have everything totally figured out on my 2002 MKIV Jetta power memory seat upgrade thanks to help from several member of different forums, Bentley, and what wiring and parts I have on hand. If you find anything incorrect please let me know. I will be posting this on several forums and would like to keep it as accurate as possible.

BROWN T10 UNDER DRIVERS SEAT

TERMINAL COLOR DESTINATION
T10/1 GREY/WHITE T16/7 (OBDII PORT)
(K-line, not present 2002 and newer)
T10/2 YELLOW/WHITE T12/9 ON DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR
T10/3 YELLOW/LILAC T12/10 ON DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR
T10/4 RED/GREY (SPLITS) TO T12/11 BOTH DRIVER/PASS SIDE MIRRORS
T10/5 BROWN/GREY (SPLITS) TO T12/12 BOTH DRIVER/PASS SIDE MIRRORS
T10/6 GREEN/WHITE T12/9 PASS MIRROR
T10/7 GREEN/LILAC T12/10 PASS MIRROR
T10/8 BLACK/BLUE 12V+ REVERSE SIGNAL
T10/9 ORANGE/GREEN T10/? RIGHT DOOR HARNESS CONNECTOR
(connector near lower left A pillar kick panel in door harness colors will match)
T10/10 ORANGE BROWN T10/ RIGHT DOOR HARNESS CONNECTOR
(connector near lower left A pillar kick panel in door harness colors will match)

LEFT / DRIVERS MIRROR T12 CONNECTOR

T12/4 BROWN/BLUE T29/29 LEFT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/5 WHITE T29/17 LEFT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/6 GREY T29/2 LEFT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/7 LILAC T29/21 LEFT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/8 GREY/LILAC T29/14 LEFT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/9 YELLOW/WHITE T10/2 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
T12/10 YELLOW/LILAC T10/3 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
T12/11 RED/GREEN T10/4 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
(SPLICES INTO RED/GREEN FROM T12/11 FROM PASS MIRROR
BEFORE GOING TO BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT ALSO CHANGES
COLOR FROM RED/GREEN AT MIRROR TO RED/GREY AT CONNECTOR
NEAR LOWER A PILLAR)
T12/12 BROWN/GREEN T10/5 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
(SPLICES INTO BROWN/GREY FROM T12/11 FROM PASS MIRROR
BEFORE GOING TO BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT ALSO CHANGES
COLOR FROM BROWN/GREEN AT MIRROR TO BROWN/GREY AT CONNECTOR
NEAR LOWER A PILLAR)

RIGHT / PASS MIRROR T12 CONNECTOR

T12/4 BROWN/BLUE T29/28 RIGHT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/5 WHITE T29/17 RIGHT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/6 GREY ??? T29/21 RIGHT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/7 LILAC T29/13 RIGHT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/8 GREY/LILAC T29/14 RIGHT DOOR CONTROL MODULE
T12/9 GREEN/WHITE T10/6 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
T12/10 GREEN/LILAC T10/7 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
T12/11 RED/GREEN T10/4 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
(SPLICES INTO RED/GREEN FROM T12/11 FROM DRIVER MIRROR
BEFORE GOING TO BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT ALSO CHANGES COLOR
FROM RED/GREEN AT MIRROR TO RED/GREY AT CONNECTOR NEAR LOWER A PILLAR)
T12/12 BROWN/GREEN T10/5 BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT
(SPLICES INTO BROWN/GREY FROM T12/11 FROM DRIVERS MIRROR
BEFORE GOING TO BROWN CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT ALSO CHANGES COLOR
FROM BROWN/GREEN AT MIRROR TO BROWN/GREY AT CONNECTOR NEAR LOWER A PILLAR)

Notes:
1. On page 97-224 diagram 26/5 Bentley shows T28/4 color as "G/"
and going to T10/10 brown connector under seat. This is incorrect,
at the seat memory module T28/4 is yellow/white and continues to T10/2
Brown plug under drivers seat. I visually verified this
2. On page 97-229 diagram 26/10 Bentley shows T12/4 on the right mirror
going to T29/29 on the right door control module. This is incorrect,
T12/4 on right mirror goes to T29/28 on right door control module.
I have also visually verified this.
3. The wires at terminals T12/11 and T12/12 on both mirrors change the
secondary (stripe) color from green to grey at or before the door harness
connector near the lower A pillar kick panel.
Just a FYI as this can get confusing.
4. Some or all of the wires going from the mirror to the door control module may
already be present. At the time I am writing this I have not installed or
tested anything yet. I do believe 4 wires from each mirror T12 connector will
need to be ran to the brown plug under the drivers seat. As two of each of the
mirror wires join together with the other mirror mirror wires (T12/11 and T12/12).
This will have a total of 6 wires coming from both mirrors to the brown plug under
the drivers seat.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
For those that were wondering:

While installing the memory mirrors for my seats, I noticed the door modules had the same part numbers. So there is not a difference from memory to non memory cars as far as the door modules go. I left my original (non memory car) door modules in and everything as far as memory works fine. Mirrors, seats, and even the memory recall by key fob is working properly.