Wiring (HELP) for Power Drivers Seat

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Everything got wired up, but we are having issues with his memory seats. We were testing everything once everything got put back together, and his dome lights kept coming on, and it kept unlocking the car. We disconnected his memory connection under the seat, and it stopped. This definately seems to be the source of the problem. Now, we are trying to figure out what is going on, and what could have gone wrong.

Wiring seems to match the diagrams at the beginning of this post. We had a premade harness from Kufatec, and followed the instructions they provided. The colors of the wires for the memory housing didn't seem to match up with what was in the actually in place, nor did it match up with what Kufatec said they would be, but we matched up the wires on each of the pins to the harness, and studied the Bentley before we hooked anything up. Our only questions were on the three memory wires, pin's 1, 9 & 10 on the memory housing under the drivers seat. 1 ended up going the K wire, pin 7 on the ODB port, and 9 and 10 wen to the Can bus connections on T23 (CCM), pins 6 & 9. Off the top of my head, I don't remembery which was which, but I do believe the colors matched what was posted earlier.
I just finished installing heated memory seats into my 99.5 Golf using the Kufatec 33355 harness. Initially the memory feature didn't work because I didn't wire up the CAN bus wires (I didn't think the 99.5's had CAN bus, but they do - it's just not used for diagnostics). After wiring up the seats to the CAN bus, the memory feature seems to work fine. My new seats are from a 2000 Jetta so they're compatible with the CAN bus in a 99.5 car. It looks like there are 2 different memory seat control modules for MKIV's: 3B1959760A (up to 2001 VIN serial number 900000) and 3B1959760E (starting at 2001 VIN serial number 900001). Make sure your seat controller module is compatible with your particular car.

Some notes on the Kufatec harness for anyone that cares:

It took 3 months from the time I ordered (and paid for) the harness for it to actually arrive, and when it finally did it wasn't the right one! They expedited the replacement harness and I got it a week later. Lesson #1: If you're not going to make your own harness, order one well before winter. There was also a wiring error: The wire in the harness that was supposed to go to pin 5 of the red connector on the driver's side went to pin 1 of the same connector instead. Lesson #2: Double-check that the harness was wired correctly before hooking everything up.

The harness didn't come with any instructions and most of the wires were gray. It turns out that most of the wires have tiny printing on them in German that tells you where to connect them. I figured out the remaining ones with a continuity tester and the wiring diagram from Bentley. Here's how I wired everything:
  • "Zündungsplus sicherung S5" - Connect this to the black/blue wire at the rear (towards the back of the car) of fuse S5 (7.5 A) in the main fuse box using a wire tap.
  • "Beleuchtung Pin 17 Lichtschalter" - Connect this to the grey/blue wire going to pin 17 of the headlight switch connector using a wire tap.
  • "Sicherung 44 Dauerplus" - Plug this wire (it should already have a connector preinstalled on the end) into the rear of the empty space for fuse S44. (Don't forget to remove the fuse box's pink locking clip first. Leave the clip out until you install the other fuse S44 wire.)
  • "Sicherung S 44" - Plug this wire (it should already have a connector preinstalled on the end) into the front of the empty space for fuse S44. You can now replace the pink locking clip and install a 15A fuse.
  • "Schraubklemme KL 30" - Connect this wire (it should already have a ring connector preinstalled on the end) to screw terminal 30 on the relay plate.
  • "Masse" - Connect this wire (it should already have a ring connector preinstalled on the end) to a ground point. I used the factory grounding location on the steering column.
  • Unlabeled Gray Wire coming from pin 1 of the brown connector - Connect this to the K Line. I soldered it to the grey/white wire going to pin 3 of the 8-pin connector for the radio (it's the bottom one of the 3 connectors). You could also solder it to the grey/white wire going to pin 7 of the 16-pin diagnostics port.
  • Unlabeled Gray/White wire coming from pin 9 of the brown connector (CAN Bus High) - I soldered this to the orange/green wire going to pin 6 of the black 10-pin connector at the bottom of the A-pillar behind the hood release handle. You could also solder this to the orange/green wire going to pin 9 of the 23-pin connector on the comfort control module.
  • Unlabeled Gray/Yellow wire coming from pin 10 of the brown connector (CAN Bus Low) - I soldered this to the orange/brown wire going to pin 7 of the black 10-pin connector at the bottom of the A-pillar behind the hood release handle. You could also solder this to the orange/brown wire going to pin 6 of the 23-pin connector on the comfort control module.
  • Unlabeled Black wire coming from pin 5 of the red connector on the driver’s side - Connect this to the black/brown wire at the rear (towards the back of the car) of fuse S1 (10 A) in the fuse box using a wire tap.
I pulled up the trim at the bottom of the driver's side door and ran the harness under the carpet along the existing body harness then over to the existing airbag/seatbelt harness under the driver's seat, then over the hump between the shifter and e-brake to the existing airbag/seatbelt harness under the passenger's seat. For a more professional looking installation, run the harness through the black plastic accordion hose that the existing wires pass through from the carpet up to each seat. Removing the existing cloth tape spiralling around each accordion hose and forcing the harness through the tiny slit in the hose took me a surprising amount of time, but it keeps the wires out of harms way and looks a lot neater.

Even though it's listed as being for memory seats, this harness doesn't include the wires needed for the memory mirrors, just the 3 K-line and CAN bus wires needed to talk to the CCM and diagnostics port. Not a big deal to me since I don't have the memory mirrors and I bet it's quite a bit of work to install them and wire them up.

Greg

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
That's not really that bad. Last time a checked (a year ago) all the repair wires and OEM connectors added up to $80 before shipping. What isn't cool is the fact that you had to pay that for a harness that was put together wrong. How are you liking the adjustability of the seats?

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
I have a friend who just swapped two electric seats from a same fabrication year (2000) car wrecked. He connected the power lines, CAN's and K-line, but nothing from the mirrors. The memory is not working, but it wasn't working also in the donour car. VCDS is not showing any fault in the controller. There were some appeared during transplant and testing, but after erasing no fault remained. What can be the explination? The donour car had only one mirror (left side) with memory, other one being damaged. Could be because of not "seeing" both mirrors in circuit? After reading all this topic, I saw that many had changed their seats with electric ones and memory for seats is working. My friend is interested only for this function, to have memory for seats. If the controller would be damaged, it should show some error in scan, no? Any suggestion is welcomed ! Here is the PN of the module:

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr Labels: 3B1-959-760.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 3B1 959 760 B
Component and/or Version: Sitzverstellung FS 0001

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I have a friend who just swapped two electric seats from a same fabrication year (2000) car wrecked. He connected the power lines, CAN's and K-line, but nothing from the mirrors. The memory is not working, but it wasn't working also in the donour car.
You could try swapping the 2 CAN wires in case they're hooked up backwards. I believe the diagnostics goes over the K-line so you could see the module in VCDS even if it couldn't communicate with the CAN bus.

Greg

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
If he will swap the CAN wires and is wrong, the rest of the CAN network will not be afected? I am thinking if now they were connected bad way, then it should be shown in VCDS scan. But the wires from seats are connected to same colour wire into car original network.

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
He swaped the CAN wires and still nothing, the memory is not working. But, as I have said before, the memory function wasn't working even on the donour car and also there were no fault codes. What can be the explination?

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
There is something about 2000 car modules, they just don't work with later years. When i bought power seat it was from 03 and memory was working perfectly, when i picked up a seat from 2000 glx, and installed in 04 car nothing, so had to buy another module in order to make it work

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
The difference between the cars is one or two months only. The memory was not working even on original car, but no fault codes on both cars. How can this be possible? This is puzzling me.

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Finished with this one. My friend is not concerned about the memory function any more as long as the other adjustments are working. Now I have another 10 points question for you, guys: the LHD cars seats are the same with RHD cars seats? I have founded some leather/alcantara combination seats, but they are from an UK car. I do not ask about motors - I see in ETKA that they have the same PN, I am asking about controllers. After I read all this thread, I have the opinion that they are the same. I do not care about memory function, as long as these ones do not have this function(no buttons for memory)on right side seat. Can somebody answer to me soon as posible? I do not want to loose these seats.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
3 years in the making...

I started with heated leather memory seats from a 1999.9 and harness from a Passat.

1) Fix butchered seat harness
2) Swap seatbelt latches
3) Swap airbags
4) Swap Memory control module out for the "E"
5) Swap cloth seat covers
6) Trim down purchased Passat harness (remove excess circuits as well as seat heater portions) which already had mirror wires installed!
7) Install harness into car
8) Install seats into car
9) Hook up battery
10) INITIALIZE the memory module!!*
11) Program memory positions

*I haven't seen that mentioned in this thread yet. If you are installing a brand new module you need to run the seat motors to their limits to get the memory to work. You should get a chime when complete.

Last edited:

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Hi, everybody. I had a lifetime occasion and I purchased a full interior set for my car: leather/alcantara electric seats with memory and all 4 full doorcards, also with alcantara, with all the switches and handles. All that at around 400 USD including delivery! My question for you all guru's is where is supposed to be connected the memory plug of the passenger mirror? I think is in the brown connector under driver seat, but what is the schematics? I do not remember in all the topic that somebody described that. All the other connections are clear for me, only the mirror remain not known for me. I know that the position for reverse for this mirror can be personalised for up to 3 different drivers - mirror-down function. Is there any situation when also the driver mirror can have potentiometers inside for memory function? Please, somebody enlight me.

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
You made my day. I already found one passenger side electric folding mirror with memory. I think it will enough for now until I will find one for driver side. I have checked the wires that I have in the brown connector, greengeeker is right about the yellow/white wire, is in pin 2. BUT I do have one more black/blue wire in pin 8, wich nobody mention at all. Anybody knows anything about his story, where is connected?
And I have a small difference about the colours mentioned there: instead of green/white in pin 6 I have brown/white, but this is not important.

LE: After I have checked some electrical drawings I think I know from where is coming that black/blue wire: it's from reverse gear engage switch, so the memory module knows when to make mirror-down. Thanks, guys, for your support.

Last edited:

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Finally, I have installed my new set of alcantara/leather combination of electric seats, and electrically foldable mirrors with memory. I spent arround 2 weeks in finishing this task. I replaced also the door cards, also with alcantara. At the start-up, the right side mirror changed it's orientation and it was pointing towards rear-right wheel, for helping at parking. I have tryied to initialize the memory for the seats, but one of the controlls of the driver seat is not working. I have identifyed the culprit, is the command relay for down movement. Now I have left outside my country for a job, but I will fix that after 2 months, when I will return home. I hope that the full functionality of these new seat will surprize me. I want to thank you, guys, for the technicall support.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Nice work! I still have to tackle my memory mirror install. I've had the parts for a while but haven't found the time to tear into it.

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Thank you for your words! I wish you good luck in making the install job, considering that you already have the parts. Looking back in time, it wasn't so hard. It took me a while because I wanted that all job to look like OEM as much as possible. Even the wires are almost the same colours with OEM ones. I have ordered some of the connecting sockets, just for the same reason. I did not use any tied-together or soldered cables. All the wiring is wrapped in original auto type insulation tape. I am a little puzzled about one thing: these new mirrors are making a little buzz noise while the ignition is ON. Is like the mirrors orientation motors are kept under small voltage for not moving due to vibrations. But, I have not changed the windows controllers and the old mirrors weren't making the same noise. I have not dig too much into this issue, maybe when I'll return home I will make proper checking. Into driver seat I also installed heating elements. For the passenger seat this job will be done also in spring. Anyway my wife is not using my car, she has her own one. Maybe in time I will ask for your opinion, guys, if something else will appear. I have another question for Madelgado, regarding the tandem movement of side mirrors, I want them to move independent. Maybe he knows the byte responsable for this.

Last edited:

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Hi

I bought a pair of 2000 MY power seats with the 3B1 959 760A control module. I made up a test harness, permanent, ignition, ground and k-line. I know the diagnostics goes over the K-line. I could see the module in VCDS (module 36).

My Golf has the 1C0 CCM I bought myself 3B1 959 760E control module, swapped it over. I could not see module in VCDS (module 36). My question is for 3B1 959 760E control module do the CAN wires need to be connected before diagnostics can be read over the K-line. I know the 1C0 CCM need the CAN wires connected before it become live as the ignition signal is send over the CAN from the cluster.

Any help would be appriciated

Thank you

Last edited:

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
I had connected the CAN wires even to my old CCM - 2001 1J0 959 799AH and I do have no conflicts. My underseat controller is without any letter at the end of code - 3B1 959 760

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Guys, I read all the posts again and also other topics about same subject and I saw nobody said a thing about recoding the convenience module for knowing that it has memory seats. I wrote before about my friend who could not make his memory seats to work. They are working now. The only thing that it was done to the car was this recoding to module 46. Usually the softcode is 04096 or 04097. For memory seats it has to be modified in 04098 or 04099. So check this out also ! Me also I haven't done it, so I am in the same situation of memory not working now. In this topic http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=163979&page=3 , user Gmenounos - post 32 posted some scan wich gave me this idea. I told to my friend and the result is the expected one. So I will do it also.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Usually the softcode is 04096 or 04097. For memory seats it has to be modified in 04098 or 04099.
That may not always be true. My memory seats are working fine and I've never needed to change my coding. It's still 04096.

Greg

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1J0-959-799.lbl
Part No: 1J0 959 799 AJ
Component: 60 Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 04096
Shop #: WSC 01317
VCID: 860DE1FEA28C60289B0
Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1J1959801C
Component: 60 Tõrsteuerger. FS0001r
Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1J1959802D
Component: 60 Tõrsteuerger. BF0001r
Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1J4959811C
Component: 4E Tõrsteuerger. HL0001r
Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1J4959812C
Component: 60 Tõrsteuerger. HR0001r
No fault code found.

dany19940

TDI
Seat Toledo
Then how can be explained that my friends seats (I told the story of those seats in one post before) suddenly started to work after recoding the CCM? Those seats memory never worked even on the donour car from wich my friend took them, with no fault codes stored on both cars

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
Quick question. I don't have a Bentley manual and I'm assuming the answer would be in there:

Why do the seats require two separate power sources? I'm assuming one powers the memory module and the other powers the motors. I'm referring to the 3-5 pins on the female power receptacle.

What is the difference between the 75x power supply and the 30a power supply. Is the 30a a full 12v supply and the 75x a stepped down supply? Does one always have power while the other is switched with the ignition?

Thanks

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Quick question. I don't have a Bentley manual and I'm assuming the answer would be in there:

Why do the seats require two separate power sources? I'm assuming one powers the memory module and the other powers the motors. I'm referring to the 3-5 pins on the female power receptacle.

What is the difference between the 75x power supply and the 30a power supply. Is the 30a a full 12v supply and the 75x a stepped down supply? Does one always have power while the other is switched with the ignition?

Thanks
75x is switched power, 30A is full time power. Seat motors vs seat memory

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
Just finished installing my power driver's seat. Install went smoothly.

I hooked up Pin 3 to one of the 30amp locations with an inline 30 amp fuse.
I hooked up Pin 4 to the factory ground point behind the hood release pull.
I hooked up Pin 5 directly to the 75x post and used an inline 10 amp fuse.

Re-hooked up the seat heat, airbag and seat belt connectors from the old seat.

Everything works great!

memory function: I did NOT hook up any of the brown connector wires to the CAN lines. Didn't want to mess with it since I'm the only one that drives my car. However when I press one of the memory buttons the seat starts moving into some weird factory default contortion. Appears to be the same for all the buttons. I tried to program one of the buttons by holding it down for 3 seconds and it just starts moving as soon as I touch the button so it would seem that the memory function won't work at all without the CAN lines connected to the car.

In any case thank you Flash9 for your hard work, Lito for your help and everyone else that has contributed to this thread.

Now I just have to work on restoring my 7 years worth of ass compressions in the seat. The new seat feels a bit like sitting on a balloon.