Wiring diagram/pinout for Scangauge II

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Hello, my search did not yield the information I was looking for. Hopefully someone can point me. I would like to hardwire my ScanGauge to the ODB II harness rather than using the supplied harness. Spent a good part of the afternoon with an ohm meter trying to meter it all out. Two of the pins seem to be cross connected in the ODB plug of the ScanGauge. I don't want to smoke it, so I am checking here. Any help would be appreciated. Why do I want to hard wire it? Well, I'd like to have the harness for moving to other vehicles and I need the connector available for the VCDS connector at times. My TDI is in a VW vanagon, so I am not concerned about splicing into the wiring. Thank you.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Thank you for the link. Scan Gauge did contact me back. I knew what the ODB II pin out was, but wanted to know the pin out at the RJ 45 connector of the Scan Gauge harness. Even with the pin out, I decided to purchase a spare harness. This way, I have one secured permanently in the Vanagon and if I need the gauge in a different car I can unclip it, grab the spare harness and I am good to go.

How do you like that 2011 Sportwagen? My wife has had her's about 3 weeks. I've only driven it once, but it is a very nice ride even with the DSG transmission. Here is the information from Scan Gauge if someone else might need it some day:

Yea, pins 4&5 are both ground pins – so they should be connected to the pin on the far right side of the RJ-45 connector with the tab facing you. Then pin 16 on the OBD II connector should be connected to pin 8 on the RJ-45 connector which will be on the far left side of the RJ-45 connector with the tab facing you. Since your vehicle is a 98 VW, it should run on the ISO protocol. This means you only need two other wires aside from power and ground for the ScanGauge to communicate with the ECU.

The two pins next to pin 8 (the power pin) control the ISO protocol. Pins 6 & 7 on the RJ-45 should be connected to Pins 7 and 15 on the OBDII connector, double check though, they may be switched – it’s been a while since I’ve worked out the pin connections on our cables.

Let me know if you need any more info.

TDI Wagon 2011

TDI
Golf SportWagen 6sp TDI 2011
How do you like that 2011 Sportwagen? My wife has had her's about 3 weeks. I've only driven it once, but it is a very nice ride even with the DSG transmission.
I love it!
Love the torque, love the ride, love the pano roof... but on top of everything, love the fuel economy!
All this dispite the harsh winter condition here since I took delivery 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for the better weather.