Wiring "chirp" horn to a button

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
I think it was @KrashDH who rigged up (3D printed) a button on his steering wheel to....I can't even remember exactly what function he was using it for.

But seemed like a scratch in need of an itch of for me....and I remembered it yesterday: Saw my wife out walking and wanted to get her attention to ask her something, so as lightly as I could, I tapped the horn, which of course emitted a HONNNNNNK and scared the crap out of her.

And I thought - wouldn't it be nice if I could get the little "alarm armed" chirp wired to a button that I could then just hit when it's not "LOOK THE HELL OUT", but rather - "hey - just wanna let you know I'm here".

So....the "horn" that emits the chirp - is that the one that's by the wiper assembly under the plenum cover at base of winshield? And if so, how could one wire it so that regardless of how long you pressed its button, it just emitted a 0.1sec "bep" instead of the whole big alarm HONK?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Reminds me of this I saw a while back. You could probably do something similar with the chirp horn at the end of the circuit.
But I was also thinking - why not just click the lock button on the key fob. Not sure if it would work though, but I'd be surprised if not.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Right! That was the other thing that got me thinking that; I remember seeing Mark Rober's video, too, now that you mention it.
I'll have to look at that again.

But I was also thinking - why not just click the lock button on the key fob.
Feels like if you arm the alarm with the engine running....alarm is going to say "ALARM!!!"

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Funny horn thing I did years ago.
I took a 6 volt bug horn and installed it in my 73 (or so) VW van with a relay and an add on steering wheel horn button on the lower dash.
I knew it wouldn't last if I used it like a NY City cab driver. ;)
It was ear piercing !!