Wiper switch ?

Dan of L.I.N.Y

Is this good or bad?
I have noticed that when I put the wiper switch on my '96 Passat in the intermitten position, the delay is about 6 or 7 seconds.
If I toggle the swithch up and down quickly once or twice and return to the intermitten setting the pause between cycles has been reduced to about 3 seconds.
Is this the way it was designed? I know some options offer different intermitten speed settings, depending on the need. Has anyone else had this experience?
To return to the original 6-7 second setting I must turn the wiper off for about five minutes or so. It seems it must be resetting it self to the original settings. Is this speed cycle controled by a programmed setting?
I'll see if the same happens on our '98 Jetta.

Dan of L.I.N.Y

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's working the way it's supposed to be working. If you R.T.F.M.
, it explains all this!

The idea is that you flick the switch to intermittent and back so that the wiper does one swipe. After waiting the amount of time that you want it to wait between swipes, switch it to intermittent and leave it there, and it will remember that setting until you either reset it to a different time (same method) or switch off the ignition key.

Quirks of older VW's; this is one of many things that you could NEVER figure out without reading the owner's manual.

Dan of L.I.N.Y

I must admit, I thought thw wiper was like those of the type II Jettas.
Now I am impressed with a pause that could go as long as a possible 22 seconds or as brief as 1.5 seconds.
The longer pause is nice when the windshield gets to little an amount of moisture and squeeks like fingernails on a blackboard.
Thanks again

Dan