Winter wheels

tarball

TDI
Golf TDI 2015
Hi all

I need some wheels for my set of winter tires. Would go with 16".

My VW dealer is trying HARD to sell me aftermarket wheel, such as RTW or RWC.

I always prefere OEM wheel to ensure good quality. I was thinking getting the Sima 16", which VW describe as a winter wheel. They also have the "namib" model available for pretty much the same price.

What's your opinion on this please ?

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Check Vortex as well as our for sale forum and throw a WTB: add up. Someone might have upgraded and have something for you. I run VW wheels (16" alloys) for winter and the fitment is good and they are durable. I've used aftermarket wheels before and the quality is varied as is the weight. There are many people going to 17's and 18's so you should be able to find a good quality used set if you are patient!.

Bon Chance!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
They look nice. Sima looks good.

I have snows on a set of steel wheels, and the biggest issue I see is that the steel ones lack the center plastic cover that seems to keep salt and the like away from the front axle mounting bolt.

search the internet for the wheel part number, might find a better price, and perhaps save a bit.

see if you can find out if the markup on aftermarket wheels is greater for them.

You can always shop around for wheels and tires.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I found a surprising number of VW wheels on Craigslist. That said, I am happy with my Sparcos. They fit perfectly, and even if their was an issue, it would be cheaper to replace them at 1/3 of the OEM price.

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
Was just looking at this myself. TireRack has 16" steel wheels for $60, you should be able to get some inexpensive wheel covers to protect the center hub and lugnuts.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Hi all
I need some wheels for my set of winter tires. Would go with 16".
My VW dealer is trying HARD to sell me aftermarket wheel, such as RTW or RWC.
I always prefere OEM wheel to ensure good quality. I was thinking getting the Sima 16", which VW describe as a winter wheel. They also have the "namib" model available for pretty much the same price.
What's your opinion on this please ?
Like others, I have 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack, no covers or anything. It's probably the most economical route, but it depends if you can tolerate the aesthetic. I actually kind of enjoy the look of them for a few months.

S-Spinnister

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL, manual.
Just ordered wheels and snow tires for my Golf today. 15" Alutec Grip wheels, in graphite, and Blizzack WS80 tires. Really happy that the 15s will fit - need to maximize my snow mobility. Hoping they'll look okay. Had the steeliness on my old Jetta wagon for 11 years, and wanted something a little nicer. Did not look good on a silver car, and I stopped replacing the cheesy plastic faux-spoke covers after a couple years. They just fall off after one changeover, and aren't intended for more than one season.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
I actually just purchased a set of winter tires and wheels off tirerack, but I went with 15" steelies and 195/65R15 Michelin X-ice 3. The 15" tires are cheaper and are narrower so will cut through the snow better. I'm out in massachusetts, and when we do get a winter storm, the plowing jobs aren't the best. Some other states have a much bigger budget for snow treatment than we do.

Next, I didn't really want a set of nice alloys that are going to look dirty from all the salt, sand, and road grime during the winter. I don't wash and detail my car that often, so I only think its worth buying nice rims if you're going to keep them clean. Just my opinion.

I think wheel covers look tacky, so I'll just keep the steelie look, but I would be interested in some sort of center cap to protect the exposed hub. Any thoughts on where to find something like that?

Back to the OP, my two cents would be to analyze what kind of weather you drive in during the wintertime. If you must drive in deeper snows, I'd recommend downsizing to the 15s for winter. But if you care about the look and don't need to get around when the snows are deep, then 16s will probably do you ok. I'm just more of a safety over looks kind of person. But any winter tire is way safer than an all season tire in your part of north america! Regarding rims, steelies are cheaper and you don't feel as bad about them if they get beat up, plus you can always use a wire brush to remove rust, prime, and put on a coat of spray paint if you need to. Again, if you are greatly concerned with the look of your rims, I think aftermarket alloys are the way to go. Just as good a quality as OEM, but without the extra costs. I'd clean the heck out of them though. When I had a toyota tundra with alloy wheels, 5 years of Upstate NY weather wrecked the finishes on them.

Just my long-winded two cents.

Last edited:

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
I can't find explicit information about this for the Mk7 Golf SW TDI's, but I've seen references in tdiclub forums for other vehicles where VW uses an indirect TPMS system, so that means the TPMS system should still work for steel wheels, so long as it gets calibrated after installation?

I'm looking into setting up my vehicle with steel rims and winter tires.

Does downsizing to 15" affect the speedo/odometers much? I'm guessing it does, but it's not a lot... unless you can reconfigure the computer for 15" wheels.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
I can't find explicit information about this for the Mk7 Golf SW TDI's, but I've seen references in tdiclub forums for other vehicles where VW uses an indirect TPMS system, so that means the TPMS system should still work for steel wheels, so long as it gets calibrated after installation?

I'm looking into setting up my vehicle with steel rims and winter tires.

Does downsizing to 15" affect the speedo/odometers much? I'm guessing it does, but it's not a lot... unless you can reconfigure the computer for 15" wheels.
You are correct, the TPMS system is indirect, using the ABS sensors to determine if a wheel is spinning faster than the others. An underinflated tire will have a slightly smaller radius, thus having to spin faster to maintain speed compared to an inflated tire. You just have to reset the tpms system in the car settings menu when you change your tires.

Additionally, in regards to the 15" tires, as long as your tire radius remains the same, there isn't an issue with the speedometer/odometer. The 195/65R15 tires have the same radius as the stock 205/55R16, so that is what I chose. The tire has a taller sidewall that compensates for the smaller wheel.

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat

md1037

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'm looking for a winter wheel set also. What's the best way to determine compatibility.

I found these close to me:

wheel-size.com tells me they have the same bold pattern, thread and center bore measurements. But if the rim width and diameter are the same, how else can you determine compatibility?